Home > Social Influence – Thoughts, Feelings, and Actions
"If the prospect understood the proposition, he would not have to be sold; he would come to buy." -John H. Patterson
The Best List of Manipulative Sales Techniques - For those who want to use them and those who want to avoid them, but don't know what they are, let's put together a list of manipulative sales techniques. Anyone game?
How to talk someone into buying. - Isn't there a public perception that salespeople will try to talk people into buying? How would a salesperson do this? How can you talk someone into buying? What would it sound like?
Can you sell ice cubes to Eskimos? - This question came up in another thread. Thought it might be an interesting topic. Can you sell ice cubes to Eskimos?
Are Communication Skills Waning? - In today's business culture, people have access to communication tools that just a few years ago were almost unimaginable. I say almost because science fiction was certainly prophetic--even comic strips. Think Dick Tracy's Two Way Wrist Radio. But--has the vast majority...
Is Assuming The Sale Manipulative? - It seems to me that when you start asking questions of the prospect such as "Would you like that in blue or black?" without even first ascertaining if he wants your product at all, then you're manipulating which I think is the major reason for returns. Anyone have...
Can You Sell Without Manipulation? - We are told to listen to the customer then offered techniques regarding overcoming their objections. One major difference between sales experts and novices is knowing which "no" to ignore and which one to acknowledge. It seems that by moving a prospect from a "no" to a...
What is "Rapport" in Selling? - One of the most commonly used words on these threads is "rapport", and most posts suggest that it is something we want to "build" or "establish." I'm not looking for semantics discussions here, nor am I seeking copy and paste dictionary definitions. Rather, I'm looking...
Selling is about persuading people to purchase things. - "Do not feel guilty about persuading people to purchase goods or services they do not know they need, always providing the goods are going to be useful to them or give them pleasure and the services really going to be of some service to them." - Victor Dunstan (How to Earn...
QUESTIONS: Honest and Otherwise - Here is a real life example that can provide insight into the power, and the misuse of questions: Someone asked in a business discussion: "If I asked you to invest $1000 today, would you think that is a lot of money? How about if I GAVE you $1000... how long would that...
Sales Motivation Training - I need some ideas or reference on how to motivate our sales people to change their attitude and mindset. Any ideas on any book that you can refer us to purchase and motivational ebooks. Thanks for your help! Paulus
Is Know-Like and Trust Essential? - Recently, marketing gurus are saying that the prospect must know, like and trust you before they buy. This is why you must get these messages across in all your marking material. Can a website enable others to know you? Can a website compel prospects to like and trust...
We Would Like Your Opinion - Has anyone read the book "Influence" by Robert B. Cialdini? Or, have you heard the opinions of others on the book? It seems it's all the rage among marketeers in England. He offers "Six Weapons of Influence" that he claims corporations use in their advertising and sales...
Why do People Fail in Sales? - As Gold Calling mentioned in a previous post, a sales job is the easiest job to get and the most difficult to keep. Salespeople have to keep producing to maintain employment. Therefore, many in our industry fall by the wayside because they have failed. Why do you think...
Enchantment: Certified Enchanter - I noticed a banner ad tonight labeled, "Certified Enchanter". Being the curious type I clicked on the ad and was directed to a landing page on Amazon.com for a book about to be released by Guy Kawasaki titled, Enchantment: The Art of Changing Hearts, Minds, and Actions....
Conditions of Mutual Trust and Respect - Do you believe in the value of conditions of mutual trust and respect between salesperson and prospective buyer?
Changing peoples' minds - How realistic is it to believe that a great salesperson could change someone's mind completely, from No to Yes, about using a service in one call?
Controlling The Conversation: Is It Ethical? - I've heard (and not just in sales) that you should control the conversation. I object to this philosophy as it doesn't seem natural to me and it doesn't appear to have the customer's best interests at heart? What do you think?
Influence Tips - I would be interested in hearing any tips members might have on "influence".
Do prospects/customers need to like you? - Do your prospects/customers like you? Is that important? Are salespeople more successful if prospects/customers like them? How does salesperson likability fit into the larger picture of sales success? Please discuss...
How does this statement 'fit' your idea of selling? - "The beginning is really important. How you present options to a client causes them to be VERY likely to choose the one you want them to!" By the way, I edited the statement from a book. It is different enough that I did not plagiarize but, more importantly, in this form...
How to get a prospect to WANT what you have. - As it has been discussed before:Now the question is, "How do you do that?" Suggestions anyone?
Do you use rebuttals to change minds? - If so, how do you avoid conflict with the idea of consumer choice?
How important is timing as a characteristic of creative selling? - How does timing effect the close in selling?
Recommended Persuasion Skills and Techniques - Which persuasion skills or techniques do you recommend salespeople learn and apply when prospecting or selling?
How does a creative idea change the sales process? - When you introduce a new creative idea into the sales process with a prospect: Does the new idea change the rules? Does the new idea demand reinvention of your sales process? Does it replace conventional thinking? Should the new idea be mixed in with standard...
What is the relationship between creative ideas and standard approaches in selling? - Does creative selling demand imagination alone? Must we use advancement in technology? Or is the presentation of creative ideas dependent on standard approaches?
When do you directly confront a competitor? - At what point do you act in a competitive situation--and how?
Competitive Situations - How do you close sales in highly competitive situations? Keep in mind that in those situations, your normal advantages are significantly reduced.
How can we make sure that the sale has the best chance of going according to plan? - From a strategic viewpoint, how should we make sure the sale goes according to plan? What gives us our best probability?
What is the focus of creative selling? - Is it novelty, visibility, value, or uniqueness?
P.T. Barnum Quote - In a book on selling, Dan Kennedy quoted P. T. Barnum: "No man ever went broke overestimating the ignorance of the American public." Kennedy descibed that statement as harsh, but he then suggested that many sales and marketing people make the mistake of overestimating the...
Is Congruence the best persuasion tool? - Do you believe that CONGRUENCE is the best persuasion tools? As Tony Robbins said, when your body, your voice, your emotions are aligned and you strictly believe and commit about what you said with passion. sn; I've already been convinced by people who deeply believe in...
The Science of Influence - Has anyone read the book, "The Science of Influence" by Kevin Hogan? If so, what is your opinion of the material?
Ethical Use of the principal of reciprocity in home selling - On two occasions I've experienced the use of the principal of reciprocity in what I thought was an unethical manner recently. One was a person selling bathroom remodeling and another replacement windows. On each occasion the sales person forgot to include a high priced...
What do I do when the prospect "takes over" the conversation? - OK, I admit it... I'm a total newbie! So... I have come across some pretty persuasive prospects, and I find myself getting influenced by them instead of them getting influenced by me. That's not good :( The difference between me and some of the prospects is that they are...
Dissapointed in myself greatly! - ;ma :sa thmbdn2; I've always caught on quickly and have sold at least the goal of the companies I start to work at. It's been a month and I've only sold one new car and no used cars! It's so much information to take in at once (warranties, prices, models, aftermarket,...
Sell More Today! Top 10 Methods of Manipulation - Have you ever felt manipulated by a customer or prospective customer? Have you ever felt that you could sell more today if only the customer or prospective customer would be more honest and straightforward? I am here to tell you that you are not alone. Let's list the top...
Manipulation 101: How to Succeed in Sales - Have you ever put on a smile when meeting a prospective buyer because you wanted the prospect to lower their guard. That is manipulative in nature. Have you ever worn certain clothes because of how that might influence another person's opinion of you? That is manipulative...
Selling and Neuro-Linguistic Programming - Neuro-Linguistic Programming: what can you tell me? What are your thoughts on the concept of NLP applied to personal selling?
Is There One Best Sales Methodology? - I thought this might be an interesting topic for opinions and discussion. By "methodology" I am referring to both proprietary systems touted by sales authors and trainers, as well as processes that have been developed by advanced professionals who post here. I will kick...
Rebuttals: Do They Help Or Hurt Your Sales? - (picking up from another thread on a sensitive area that may be of widespead interest). To simply state from my experience, I've found rebuttals to hinder my sales and, indirectly, led to a system I've used to fantastic success.
Social proof in marketing - Everybody's doing it! - Social proof what a great idea to incorporate into your marketing. Monkey see monkey do. Have you ever used social proof in your marketing materials?
I Don't Know How! I'm Afraid! I Can't Do It! - Gripped by fear, nothing any one expert can say ever makes a difference until we speak those magical confessional words out loud to ourselves: I don't know how. I'm afraid. I can't do it. The fear of being honest, of being looked down upon, of being laughed at and scorned...
Buy Now! Influencing perceived value and urgency - Two reasons I know of why people don't 'buy now' are the perceptions of low value and low urgency. I've heard a few frustrated salespeople say that their prospects wouldn't know a good deal if it slapped them on the butt and they might be right. I think if you leave value...
Persuasion in selling - The use of persuasion in selling comes up a lot in sales material and discussions. However, other than Cialdini's Principles no specific techniques, skills, concepts, etc. are ever mentioned. For those who have ever used, experienced, or read about persuasion in selling...
Posthypnotic Suggestion (Sales Hypnosis) - This passage quoted from "Unlimited Selling Power" by Donald Moine and Kenneth Lloyd is an example of posthypnotic suggestion in sales. Have you ever used a similar technique? Would you?
Does too many choices cause resistance? - In my experience in the real estate industry I have found that too many choices can cause resistance. For instance, the more homes an agent shows a buyer the higher the chances that the buyer will become overwhelmed and not make a decision. The solution... freedom within...
Getting out of the Client - What you want - Regardless of what industry we are in. Providing it is sales we in one or another will use Persuasion and influence in our day to day dealings with clients and customers. Depending on the sort of field of sales and the sort of person you are depends on the varying type...
Rapport Idea #1: Genuine Interest - Idea #1 for building and maintaining rapport; Become genuinely interested in the other person. Q1): What does that mean to you? Q2): Do you think that this will help to build/strengthen rapport?
Emotionally-intelligent Selling - This thread starts with a basic premise, two assumptions and a clear intention. Premise: Emotional Intelligence is a critical sales capability, perhaps the most important in terms of developing and sustaining a base of loyal customers. Assumption #1: Itís largely ignored in...
De-Mystifying the Sales Process - Consistently finding and doing business with prospects that need, want and can afford your product and services is a process that most intelligent salespeople can learn. It is a merely a skill, which does not require genius or unusual efforts.
Questions about Persuasion.... - Hi I'm new to this forum and would just like to put some things out there.... 1) What kind of useful advice can anyone here give about persuading a client. I would very much like if I wasnt told to smile or to relax or to have shiny shoes or to look really good, I mean...
Rapport Idea #4: Communication Styles - Idea #4 for building and maintaining rapport; Match communication styles. Q1): What does that mean to you? Q2): Do you think this will help to build/strengthen rapport?
Rapport Idea #2: Common Ground - Idea #2 for building and maintaining rapport; Look for common ground. Q1): What does that mean to you? Q2): Do you think this will help to build/strengthen rapport?
Your Influence is Your Best Persuasion - I don't know if my phrase is correct! What I understood in influence what you are or your reputation. Whatever you are selling, you persuade people in buying your product through your appearance or influence. For example, you are selling health books, you must also look...
Rapport: Establishing trust and respect - If you want to establish trust and respect with someone building and maintaning rapport will help. Here's a few ideas for building rapport with people: Become genuinely interested in the other person. Look for common ground. Active listening. Match communication...
How do you feel about persuasion? - How do you feel about persuasion? When selling, is trying to persuade someone ethical, immoral, what?
Does Lingo and Buzzwords Help? - Some people think that using the same Lingo and Buzzwords as your client increases the chances of the client saying "yes" to you. I tend to agree. What do you think?
Return of the Manipulation Kid - EDIT: This thread is a split from the original thread, "Recommendation: Persuasion Section". "Let me give you a brief overview of ______, --in no particular order." The word, "brief" registers in the minds of many with a double meaning. It has the effect of making...
The influence of a Smile - I wanted to share an idea I've been thinking about. The idea is this... can the act of smiling can have an impact on your ability to persuade others? The idea is still germinating so don't go too hard on me. ;) Ok here it goes... when you smile at another person isn't...
Rapport building - I could use some help with rapport building skills. Besides pacing or mirroring what other ways would you recommend for building rapport?
Does "No" cause resistance? - Many books on selling cover the "Yes-Yes" mind set and-or avoiding a "No" reaction. What do you think? Does "No" cause resistance?
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.