Sales - Vocation or Profession?
- First, in your opinion is "Sales" a vocation or profession? Next, how do you differentiate between the two? Finally, do you feel there is any benefit to identifying "Sales" as one or the other?
Real Estate Agent vs Sales Rep
- Well, I am new to the forums and have been browsing through them for a few weeks now but this is my first post, so I should start by introducing myself. My names James and I am 27. I have spent the last 12 years working along side my father in his bakery/ donut shop that he...
Best way to get a Sales Job?
- In my last interview for a sales position, I was encouraged to start off by asking the questions instead of just giving answers. The best approach would have been to have asked what the current needs of the company were and what it was about my resume that attracted their...
The Future of Sales and related occupations: Job Outlook 2008-2018
- The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) of the U.S. Department of Labor is the principal Federal agency responsible for measuring labor market activity, working conditions, and price changes in the economy.
Below are excepts from The Bureau of Labor Statistics' Occupational...
New and extremely enthusiastic - where to start?
- Hello there,
I just turned 23 years old and I'm very keen to get into sales.
My background is debt collection, and I'm wanting to take the skills I learned from that role and apply them to a career in sales.
My question is this - where do I start?
I'm interested in...
Trouble getting started in sales
- Here's the deal. I have no sales experience and I'm now in a b2b straight commission 1099 sales job. Not only that, but it's out of my home and I don't have a sales manager or anyone breathing down my neck to "make a sale!"
So... I'm having one heck of a time getting...
Careers in Sales
- In your opinion what will careers in sales look like in the near and distant future? For example, will the bulk of sales jobs be inside sales positions? What will compensation look like (ex. salary + bonus, straight commission, a hybrid)? Will we see the bulk of sales jobs...
Creative vs. Retail Selling
- One of the popular sales trainers and sales speakers of the mid-Twentieth Century, was Fred Herman. He was also a pioneer in audio training, although in his day it was 33 1/3 rmm vinyl. Earl Nightingale called Herman "The world's greatest sales trainer." I once listened to...
Could This Be True?
- One of my colleagues recently told me that she heard that our company is working with a group of consultants whose goal is to get the majority of sales reps performing between 75 and 90%.
When I heard this it seemed too sinister to believe but based on a restructuring...
Is Pharma Really Sales?
- I recently came across a blog post titled, "Is Pharma Really Sales?" where the blogger was suggesting that pharma is not sales and that pharmaceutical sales reps don't really sell.
Below are three quotes from the blog post that caught my eye.
"Sorry, but you don’t...
How big is the sales profession?
- I came across a press release recently which included reference to a prediction by Gerhard Gschwandtner (Selling Power) that, of the 18 million salespeople currently in the United States, fewer than 3 million will be needed by 2020.
Does 18 million sound correct? Does 3...
Job Interview - Sales Role Plays
- I am trying to locate a resource of Sales Role Play examples and exercises. Does anyone know if such a resource (book, etc) exists. WillieJay
Door to door sales, what is the best product?
- I've sold various products or services door to door and I'm wondering which products are the most lucrative.
In my experience the top earning door to door product is selling roofs. The pay can range from as little as 30,000 to as much as 500,000 if there is a storm in...
How to get a sales job without previous experience?
- I'm in my early 20's, and really want a job in sales.. What's the best way to land a job if i.e. company I wanna work for isn't hiring atm?
Beg on knees and ask to work for commision only?
Who should I contact in company with such proposal? Some senior sales manager, HR,...
Should I be Looking for a New Job?
- I relocated for a coveted sales position with my company about seven months ago but now I am wondering if I probably need to start thinking about an alternate plan. Below are some things that make me think the answer is "yes".
1. My company started an "experiment" this...
Independant Sales Rep, does it pay?
- I have over 20 years experience in packaging sales & promotional merchandise sales. Now I am in my last 30's I am seriously thinking of becoming a self employed sales person. (due to redundancy)
I am thinking of becoming a sales agent for a number of suppliers. This way...
100% commision for graduates?
- Hello everybody, just stumbled upon this forum and was looking for some advice regarding my situation!
I have a pending job offer in Califorrnia where I would love to live. Now this is a problem in terms of a visa as I'm only a British graduate in International business...
Print or Radio
I am in a unique position with two job offers. With everything being equal, what is the better industry to sell advertising? Both companies are very good and leaders in the their markets. Magazine or Radio?
How many here do B2B tech sales? How Technical do you get?
- B2B technology sales can often be complex because customers often need large integrated solutions to their technology problems.
How many do these kind of complex B2B sales? And how technical do you usually get with your customers?
Personally I just founded a computer...
Need advice to get into Telecom B2B sales
- Hey guys! I'm a student with a year left and I wanted to ask some of the Telecom sales guys out there for some real advice on how to get your foot into the B2B side of the industry.
For something like this, how technically prepared do we need to be? I've been thinking of...
Dealing with the Competition
- I currently work for a company that dominates the market of a particular industry. I am fortunate in that I only have one other major competitor, however, they seem to come up in every meeting with customers.
I am looking for suggestions on how to respond productively...
What do you sell?
- I'm interested in seeing what kind of product/service diversity we have within the SalesPractice community. What product or service do you sell?
Everybody (especially first timers) is encouraged to post...
... I sell sales training and consulting...
Sales experience, sort of,
- Hi everyone,
I am trying to get some feedback from some pro's, I am an electrician and have owned my own business for the last 5 years that mostly consist of residential and commercial service, most of my new customers are getting several bids so I consider myself a...
High-Ticket Price + From Home + Is This Possible Guys?
I understand this may be over the top. But I hope you can help me. I'm currently involved in marketing consulting. And I'd like to transition to a sales job. But I'm looking for a sales job with the following criteria:
--Work entirely from home. (No travel.)
Starting out in sales.
- I'm keen to kick things of and develop my sales skills though not sure of which direction to be heading in.
Whilst I've had some basic experience through a month long stretch as a product demonstrator in a department store, my sales experience is somewhat limited.
Pursuing a sales job
- I left the sales job where I made 200k+ in sales over a 1 year period (also my first year of sales). Plus I was recently promoted to sales manager. I left this job to pursue a non sales job that didn't work out (and only lasted 5 weeks). I want to pursue a sales job...
New in the Sales Industry - NEED ADVICE
This will be my second year in sales. I came from a logistics background so this is all very new to me. I'm still getting to know all about the products and techniques.
I work for a high end office furniture manufacturer and deal with corporate clients, very...
Possible career change - how to get into sales?
- Hello everyone,
This is my first post to the forum, and I am looking for some advice about how to get into sales as a career.
I am 31 years of age and work as a freelance web developer. I earn good money in this role and have over a years work in the pipeline with two...
Next career move, advice sought
- Hi, I am seeking some expert advice with regards to my next career move. I only have about 15 month sales experience, 3 months in telco and 12 in retail, but I am bored with my current role and feel I should move on to develop my skills more rapidly and increase my...
How does your commision scheme work and am I getting a short straw?
- Hi Guys,
Just a question for you all how does your commision/ote scheme work? The reason i am interested in this is because I will be having my 6 month appraisal coming up soon and I think that my commision scheme isn't up to scratch and I want to discuss it with my...
Commission Charge Backs
- I'm hoping that you can help me. I have a client whose company is presently integrating a money back guarantee for their services. If certain agreed upon goals are not hit, the client gets their money back. What the CEO is saying that he presently wants to take commission...
Setting Sales Compensation
- This question is more generated towards sales managers, executives and advanced B2B sales professionals.
We have a small business that did over $3MM in sales last year. We have a small sales force of 2 individuals and plan to hire another rep this year. We had another...
Advice on sales commission structure please?
I run a small contract cleaning company in Scotland, I want to employ a salesperson in the new year. I am looking for advice on a sales commission structure please from anyone who has experience in the daily contract cleaning industry, or any general advice that would...
Is flexible working in jobs the way forward?
- I read an interesting article this morning about why people may take sick leave! Apparently these days people are doing far more under increasingly pressured conditions so they feel they need more rest.
Frequent bouts of short term illness should also be seen as a...
"negotiating Salary Plus Commission" Tips
- HELLO EVERYONE!
I am looking for as much advice between now, and next week when I get "THE BIG INTERVIEW" for a REALLY good job. I have never had "salary plus commission", and they would also provide a blackberry (company phone), company expense account, car expense...
Current college student in need of some better experience.
- Well the headline says it all, I have been doing some retail non commission sales for about a year now and want to try something else. The problem is it has to be something that I can do while in school. Have any ideas? What are some jobs maybe businesses that you have been...
Is Outsourcing Your Job References Legal But Imoral?
- I was fired from my last job for not making quota the last 6 months, even though I was over quota the last 4 years.
But lately, I'm not even getting call backs for interviews. And those rare interviews I have had, I spend half the time explaining why I couldn't reach...
But Can You Sell It?
- "Wow, you sure can brew it!"
"But can you sell it?"
Have you seen this commercial? About a new brewery starting up and a salesperson out selling beer to bars. It always makes me say, "thats the career I want"
So here is my question, Just for fun.
If you could take...
New commission plan...Deal or no deal?
- My boss just instituted a new commission plan (print industry) for the sales team to "try out and see if it works". We went from salaried positions to base salary with commission.
My particular situation looks like this:
Salary cut to less than 75%: base now $18,200 with...
What big ticket sales opportunities are out there today?
- I have been selling manufactured homes for the past few years but the market isn't what it used to be. It's time to start looking for greener pastures. What big ticket sales opportunities are out there today, not counting real estate or jet sales?
Straight Commission vs. Base Salary +
- Hypothetically speaking if you had to make a choice in compensation which would you choose straight commission or base salary + (bonuses, contests, paid training, etc.) and why.
After High School
- I am a senior in high school right now and am in need of some help.
I will not be attending college and plan on going straight into sales. I have sales experience in web development and vacuum cleaners.
I would like to know what kind of sales job I could enter straight...
How/Why have you ended up working in the job your in?
- I find it very interesting how so many people myself included, have found that they are working in jobs that they had no clue they would be involved in. Currently while I attend college I work as a painter during the summers, and I never thought I would be doing that. So...
Job search advice
I've recently quit my job in telesales and now in the market for a new job. I know there are plenty of sales roles out there, many of which emphasise big $$$ but don't offer training, support and mentoring I'm looking for. As I'm new to sales, I'm more interested...
Which Kind of Selling Do You Do?
- Which kind of selling do you do? Please take the poll. Then share with the SalesPractice community what you like or don't like about your particular type of selling.
Newbies, here's a perfect chance to become a new member of SP, or if you're already a member, post your...
What are the most common sales jobs?
- Besides retail, automobile, food, real estate, insurance, financial services, advertising and medical sales what other sales jobs are common?
Where did you get your start in sales?
- I am hoping to get a job at Best Buy to start my sales career this summer. I have already read several books and I participate in several sales forums. So where did you all get your start?
Desperate in Mesa - Please Help
- This is call for help to the sales experts. Here's my situation. I'm in a bind. I got into real estate about a year ago when I got out of school and was immediately introduced by a friend to an investor who bought and sold a lot of homes. All the time I've been the listing...
MLM/Network Marketing - What are Your Thoughts?
- What are your thoughts about MLM/Network Marketing? Is it a legitimate industry? Is it sleazy? Is it a "pyramid scheme"? Does it turn you on? Or off? Has anybody ever tried to recruit you into their "downline"? Have you ever tried MLM? Were you (or are you) successful at...
Business is way down - jump ship or hang tough?
- In my job I help people buy or sell their manufactured homes which are in parks where you own the home but you rent the lot. Sales have been in the toilet for the last few months and I'm starting to wonder if I should jump ship and find a different sales job or hang tough...
- I'm interested in growing my business and am considering hiring a sales person. I have an advertising and graphic design firm, providing print marketing materials and web sites.
I'm not really sure what the compensation range is, so I wonder if someone could offer some...
Sales Fields No Degree
- What type of sales fields can one enter without having a college degree?
I talked with a VP of sales for a company, and he told me that college taught him nothing about sales, and he said college was a waste of time personally for him.
He personally was involved with...
Highest Earning Potential Sales Job
- I am young, and still learning. What do you think is the highest paying potential sales job?
I don't really know if I want to go to college.
If I do go to college and get a 4 year business degree, then I will try to get into Pharmaceutical or Medical Supply sales.
ever have to "self-train"yourself at a new job?
- Hello to you. I assume you have gone through the process of getting hired, (gratefully of course) and being told,"ok, here's your desk, make some sales." This probably would be ok if i was selling gloves to an eskimo.
I am in the telecommunications field and have no real...
Successful or Unsuccessful Changes in Employment
- There have been a number posts from members lately who had been successful in one type of selling, and then decided to accept a new position in either another industry, or in a position that required another type of selling, and are not now experiencing the same level of...
Want to be a sales person for life?
- I am curious as to how people see sales. I was in sales for various companies for 10 years or so but am now phasing out of it as I have completed my education and am entering another profession.
Do most people here aspire to be a salesperson for a full career or just...
How much should I make?
- Hi group:
For the last year, I have averaged $14,000-$20,000 in weekly sales.
The markup between our laid-in, actual, cost of goods and my selling price is almost 30%.
What % of that $14,000-$20,000 would be a fair commission?
10%? More? Less?
What city has the most opportunities?
- For someone who is seeking sales but is looking for a variety of different opportunities what city would you suggest that person.
I myself would have to say New York.
However, with all the variety of positions you can find, that 80k just isn't the same as it would be...
Qualifying an employer using HPP
- Some of you here are familiar with the High Probability Prospecting (HPP) and Sales techniques and how brutally effective they are.
I had very strange thing happen to me this morning and decided to test this technique out for myself with a company I applied to a while...
What is your sales job?
- Just wondering what some of you are selling as a profession.
How has it been, so far? Pros and Cons....
King of the buggy whips
- If your industry was fast becoming the King of the Buggy whips, what industry would you jump to and why?
sales industry job search site (layout feedback needed)
- hey all,
i maintain http://www.devbistro.com which is job search site for Techies. I am thinking of branching out into other fields and in particular sales. Given your background in Sales, do you think the site's layout/feautures/color scheme will work for the new...
working for a new company
- Hi, I am in the job market now and found a few offers from larger well established companies and an offer from a smaller recruiting firm that looks like they been around since the beginning of this year. Out of all the jobs, the small firm seems to be so far the one that's...
Outside Work in the Arctic Air?
- Do any of your sales jobs have you working outside more than you'd like in the frozen tundra that's become much of the United States? (Hehe Wow, that sentence was a mouthful!) I'm thinking real estate agents need to show homes, auto salespeople need to be on the lot with...
How do you know what you are worth?
- I am a new member and wanted to ask a few questions. The first item is salary. How do I know what to ask for if I am new to this profession. I have alot of knowledge and experience but not in the sales field. I make a nice living right now and don't want to fall to far...
Best Sales Professions - Careers?
- Hey gang, I need some advice!
I know I want a Sales career but I am not sure of what "type" of sales I would enjoy. Maybe if I mention what I am looking for it may help you answer my questions.
I am currently in the Information Technology field and need OUT! Yes, I hate...
Just got fired/let go, how to explain this to a prospective employer?
- Hi all, I just recieved some shocking news that I was goign to be let go, or fired, whatever you want to call it. The reason was I had not performed up to expectation, I was not the only one who was canned either. I was working on a team of 3 on this project and without...
Deciding between a new job or my current
- Hi everyone, just thought I see if anyone could give me some input on this situation. I work for a home builder right now selling new homes, the money is extremely good but it is incredibly stressful work, i work every weekend with couple of days off during the week. I...
Need Advice BADLY!!
- Listen up! I've had ONE "sales" job in my life, working at LensCrafters on the floor. That AIN'T exactly the kind of high-powered sales most of you guys deal with, I'm sure.
Anyway, recently I took a plunge and applied for a sales job . It pays about $40,000 (salary).