Self-discipline for sales success
- What does self-discipline mean to you, do you view self-discipline as a pillar of sales success, and how is self-discipline achieved?
You are your own worst enemy.
- It has been suggested that for the most part we are our own worst enemy not because of our lack of sales knowledge, skills, or abilities but because we get in our own way. Would you agree? How can we prevent this from happening in the future?
Are Personal Profile Tests Worthless?
- For decades there has been considerable debate surrounding the Meyers/Briggs and other personality profiling testing. They seem to focus on observable effects rather than innate causes. However, some managers find them useful.
Do you think they should be used to hire...
Personal Selling Power
- When you think about the phrase "Personal Selling Power" what comes to mind? Do you feel it impacts a salesperson's results in personal selling? How do you achieve and/or increase it?
What is the secret of ethical selling?
- Recently I came across a post in a sales blog where the author stated that the secret of ethical selling was in fact... Marketing.
In a nutshell, the author suggest that "desperation" causes people to sell unethically.
Below are a few quotes from that original blog post....
Sales Hard Talk
- For one reason or another it seems like a large number of salespeople are not achieving the level of success they may want. This does not appear to be a new development. Maybe it is time for a hard talk about where people are getting off track and what needs to be done to...
- What is sales strategy? Is it a plan of action in the structured pursuit of a meaningful outcome or something else entirely?
Outcome Centric Selling
- I was involved in a conversation recently concerning the topic of "Outcome Centric Selling"; defined as the focusing and directing of resources on and towards the achievement of a desired outcome - both the Seller's and the Buyer's.
What advantages do you see in personal...
Can you be successful selling something you dont believe in?
- Just wanted to get some thoughts to see what your opinions are regarding selling something you truly don't believe in. Whether its a product, service, etc.
My personal experience is that the lack of belief in a product, service or company your working for has an impact on...
Fear of Rejection vs. Not Wanting Rejection
- Fear of rejection is a term that has a different meaning from "not wanting rejection", although certainly the two can coincide.
In, sales, and specifically in sales, not all people have a fear of rejection. Those that don't might very well fear rejection in other areas of...
Self-image in Selling
- What part, if any, do salespeople's beliefs and ideas about themselves (self-image) play in personal selling?
Helping people get what they want.
- Zig Ziglar said, "Find out what people want and help them get it!"
Dale Carnegie said, "Talk about what people want and help them get it."
Lou Holtz wrote, "You don't sell anyone. You help people get what they want."I am confident there are numerous other authors and...
Oh the head games we play!
- Hi guys and gals, Im new here first post, thought I'd just jump right in. I need your help.
You know how writers get writers block yeah? Well I've got salesmans block. I just can't bring myself to make calls. Fear of rejection is most likley behind it and resentment of...
Sales Force Readiness
- In your opinion regarding professional selling, what skills and knowledge do you feel are key for sales people to sell effectively and efficiently in most selling situations?
Company owner in desperate need of motivation...
- As this is my first ever post, let me firstly say hello to you all and apologise for the length of this post.
A little background on me. I am 42 years of age, live in the UK and work in the Recruitment industry. For almost 20 years i worked in High Street Recruitment,...
Suggestions on Turning a Bad Month Around.
- Hey all,
I am not sure if anyone else has ever experienced this;wi but I am having a horrible sales month. And when I say "horrible" I mean horrible!!
I have an embarrassing low amount of sales and on top of that my manager made a point of telling me he is "concerned"...
See it. Believe it. Achieve it.
- Napoleon Hill is attributed with saying, "Whatever the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve."
In your opinion how does that occur; what are the mechanics at play?
- Is it possible to get sales burn out, where you just can't motivate yourself to pick up the telephone or make that sales call? Is this related to failure or can it happen to anyone of any experience level and ability? How do we go about refocusing or is this usually a...
Buying an education or buying a brand?
- Seth Godin asks the question that many parents are asking each other... "Does a $40,000 a year education that comes with an elite degree deliver ten times the education of a cheaper but no less rigorous self-generated approach assembled from less famous institutions and...
Escape the Matrix by Being Self-Centered
- Here is a quote from "Escaping the Matrix" by Gregory A. Boyd and Al Larson:Here is one definition of Self-centered:What would be an example of an outside force or influence and how would this apply to your own sales practice?
Culture, Context and Meaning
- I recently read an article titled, "Can culture dictate the way we see?" by Roxanne Khamsi (2007). I also came across an abstract from a piece titled, "Culture Sculpts the Perceptual Brain" by Joshua O. Goh and Denise C. Park. Here is a quote from that abstract:
Jaggi Vasudev's speech at TED conference...DON'T MISS
- Hi everyone,
This is NOT about Sales, this is off topic. However, I'm sure most of you will enjoy this Jaggi Vasudev's speech at TED conference:
I've been able to understand and appreciate just about everything Jaggi Vasudev says,...
Is empathy a secret of success?
- In your opinion, how important to selling is the ability to get the other person's point of view and see things from that person's angle as well as from your own?
Frame of Mind
- It has been said that our lives, characters, and experiences ultimately are functions of our frames (frames of mind). Would you agree?
Learning new skills
- What is the best way to learn new sales and behavioral skills conducive to success in selling? I know there are many skills top salespeople must master, and it requires lots of effort and persistence, and I was curious as to how those skills go from being a concept to a...
Recovering From a Bad Month?
- Well since I didn't get a response to my last post I thought I would try to see if I can get some suggestions here.
The long and short of it is that I am coming up on my the end of my ninth month in my new sales position and I can safely say that I have completely "@#%$...
What are you pursuing?
- Call it what you want; goal striving, chasing down a dream, etc. but it seems like most of the time the people who get on in life are those who get after something that matters to them - something they really want. Does that ring true in your experience?
- Much has been written about "Attitude" in books on selling. In the big scheme of things how much importance do you place on the attitude of the buyer and/or the seller?
Similar, the Same, or Different?
- Here's an Einstein Quote:
No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created it.Here's a quote (author unknown):
You can't change behavior at behavior level.
How would you relate the two statements? Or wouldn't you?
Beyond Sales Skills
- Some have said that success in selling requires more than "Sales Skills". What else do you believe is involved... sales tools, finding a hot market, follow-up, personal drive, time management, building a network, business knowledge or ???
- I wrote this in a private discussion. I'll post it here with the hope my message is clear:
There are often context issues in discussions on selling, and you see it often on SalesPractice.
I believe in Learning by Inquiry. If we were to break down the four most common...
Sales May Be a Practice of Religion
- "Discover your Self through Selling"
If a spiritual practice "includes any activity that one associates with cultivating spirituality" then selling can be a spiritual practice and SALES may be a PRACTICE of religion for you.
SalesPractice.com - The...
The Observer Self and Ego-Consciousness
- The following quote paints a clear picture of what is meant by "The Observer Self":
In your opinion would you and/or your customers benefit from detaching from ego-consciousness and stepping back into the observer self during the sales process and if so how?
It All Begins with Want
- In his book titled, "How to sell anything to anybody" Joe Girard wrote:
"If you want, and know what you want, you will have most of what you need to be a successful salesman."
How do you interpret that suggestion and do believe it to be true?
Sharing motivational materials
- Hello everyone,
I am starting this thread for us to exchange our motivational/inspirational video clips, quotes or pictures.
I'm running out of motivational materials and would like to ask if you have some to share. I will email you my motivational clip in exchange.
Are some people just not cut out for sales?
- We often here about the "born salesperson" whether you believe in it or not. What about its polar opposite? Are some people just not right for selling?
I'll start. Although I am not entirely convinced of the idea of "born salesperson", I do believe that some people have...
Newbie Starting to Panic and Needs Advice
- This is my second post to the forum and I really would like some words of encouragement, advice or suggestions.
To make a long story short I have been with my present company almost 15 years and I moved from account management to straight sales about year ago. After...
Ideas that DRASTICALLY boosted your sales
- So, we all have them, certain single ideas, and improvements that we worked on and snapped into that suddenly boosted our sales almost magically, post them here!
1: Realization that everybody LIKES AND WANTS what I sell, when I walked into a sale sincerely...
Tips to Overcome Fear
- How do I overcome fear of meeting people ( strangers as well as bigshots). and asking people to take out a life insurance policy.
Please share your technique with me. I really am not scared of rejection or failure but I just feel uncomfartable with them to ask to ask for...
Potential of the Human Mind
- Here's a question that probably will get some varying responses. Actually two questions.
Do you ever think about what the greatest potential of a human mind is? If so, what belief have you drawn?
If you haven't thought about it, perhaps it would not be a good time in...
Blueprint for Achievement
- Have you created a blueprint for achievement? If so, can you give an example of what it looks like?
Do you want to be rich or do you want to be right?
- I was complaining in the office yesterday about some of the prospects I've been meeting with who were either rude, withdrawn or unrealistic. These are the types that really set me off. One of the other salespeople who has been doing this for a while asked, "Do you want to...
The Ghosts of Christmas Past, Present and Future
- Christmas is coming which made me think about "A Christmas Carol" and the ghosts of Christmas Past, Present and Future.
Is there a lesson or two in that story (ie; motivation through perspective) that can be applied to selling?
Creative Visualization : 10/10 Positive Visualization Technique
- Counting your blessings each day is essential for positive growth. God/Source/Universe is happy to provide for you as long as you are happy about what you already have. If you are dissatisfied with your current situation, that energy muddles up your intentions. The more...
Mental preparation and mental rehearsal
- Many athletes go through a game-day and a pre-game mental routine to gear themselves up for peak performance. Can you see how this would benefit you in your sales career?
- I meant to spell it Morale...sorry
I work with someone who is such a morale buster that once I hear him open his know it all mouth I don't feel like doing a single sales call after that.
The sad part is that he has no interest in Sales, but I do! He does not seem to care...
Tips on How to have self confidence
- How to have self confidence in meeting people (taking proactive actions like visiting their home, office, parties, etc.) and asking people to take out a life insurance policy. Please share your ideas, tips, and techniques.
Poll: Who are your sales heros?
- Whom have you learned your profession from that you admire and absolutely LOVE and find yourself quoting all the time????
For me I LOVE Stephen Covey. The man speaks to everything I believe in. His advice is transcendental and can be used in every part of one's life. ...
Sales Success: If it was a snake it would have bit you!
- I think that sales success is closer to most salespeople than they know. You might say that if it was a snake it would have bit them!
I'm sure that some salespeople feel this instinctively, they can sense a breakthrough is close, they just know it. For many, what I'm...
Where is the Sales profession going?
- Is "Sales" going to be obsolete one day? With the Internet, economy,changing company buying habits, politics etc... how will the "Sales" profession be affected?
I am particularly interested since I am currently enrolled in Sandler Sales Training, and looking to re-enter...
- How do you spend your time? What do you like to do with your time?
What is your motivation direction?
- Some of us are motivated by what we want (i.e. success), others are motivated by what we don't want (i.e. being fired), and some by a little bit of both.
Think back to a time where you took massive action to reach a goal or obtain a desired result. What triggered your...
"Intermediacy is no road to Mastery" but....
- Another member said:
"Intermediacy is no road to Mastery" but mastery is not for everyone and does not have to be in order to have a successful career in sales. It's a fact of life."
I thought they would be great for discussion. I agreed with what he said, BTW.
"Strategy without tactics....."
- "Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat." --Sun Tzu
The statement above has become popularly attributed to the Art of War, a treatise on strategy by Sun Tzu.
What are your thoughts on the statement...
Recognition of faces and names
- Back in the early 90's I met this guy in sales. I was busy with my business and made many of the cardinal sins of business. I wasn't very proactive with it. This guy was my lumber salesman.
Now, if you remember the time, cell phones were just starting to hit and get big....
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade
- It's no secret. The economy is down. Sales are down. What are we to do? Most of us were selling before the economy crashed, and we remember the good days. I as a car salesman remember selling 20 cars a month. Then one day.. BAMM!! Everything went down hill. But what...
Your learning strategy
- Do you have a learning strategy?
What I mean is: how do you select the books, audio tapes, training and seminar that will give you the highest return on investment (time & money) in the short and long term ?
How do you categorize and organize the knowledge that you need...
But I need to work on my weaknesses….!
- 2009 a new year and a time for goals and getting better?
Let me share a recent story to set the scene.
This was brought home to me over the Christmas holidays by my young nephew. Well great nephew actually. Yes it could make me feel old! I have decided this year it won't...
Do you feel like you're bothering them?
Ok. I don't know if this is fear because it seems like something else. I feel like I am bothering people and will crumble when the person seems to be busy or not interested.
Basically I feel like I am bothering them or that I should hurry up and finish the call...
How have you "Stretched Yourself" in bettering yourself?
- I'm doing sales seminars this week for a client in California. My seminar today went very, very well. Sometimes, there is a bit of resistance from some salespeople because I am, in essence, asking people to change their behaviors so they can get a different and better...
What contributed to you becoming a great salesperson?
- I've been lurking for a while, even made a few posts. There are a ton of incredible salespeople here and I would like to know, what contributed to them becoming so great? What books/resources were the most helpful? This year I plan to become the best in my dealership. I...
Do we take ourselves too seriously?
- Reading through the awesome information on this website and listening to the sales people I work with, got me thinking........
Do you take yourself too seriously?
Is your word/feeling/attitude gospel?
How do you react when someone contradicts you?
Has somebody tried...
LOA Experts: Who Attracted Bernie Madoff?
- All the LOA advocates here, I've been wondering something...
These poor Bernie Madoff victims (and they were victims)...
how is that they attracted getting royally screwed and ruined from their wealth?I mean, most of these people it seems were doing they're thing
How do you respond to sales anxiety?
- Do you sometimes lie awake at night worrying about that big sale you've yet to close?
Have you ever felt paralyzed by fear before you pick up the phone or make that sales call?
Anxiety can cripple us emotionally and hinder our sales productivity. Although everyone...
Act as if it were impossible to fail!
- What impact is the economy having on your business?
What impact is the economy having on your life?
During the Great Depression of 1936, Dorothea Brande wrote a book titled Wake Up And Live. In her book she wrote "All that is necessary to break the spell of inertia and...
Dream no small dreams, for they have no value!
- Dream no small dreams, for they have no value! ~ Goethe
Why would you dream of sales coaching? I mean, unless you charge more than you are worth, it pays not much better than sales.
The sales training industry is tough indeed.
You could self publish and use...
The Right Attitude
- Having the right attitude is always the number one key to success.
The right attitude will take work serioiusly. The right attitude will be skill oriented. The right attitude will seek success. The right attitude will be constantly looking for opportunity. The right...
Ways to reduce stress
- What do you suggest as ways to reduce stress? I'm trying to get more sleep and exercise more. I'm also listening to relaxing music. What works best for you?
Procrastination in Calling Customer
- Dear Sales Expert,
I would like to ask for your advice on my procrastination in calling customer. Why i procrastinate? Every time i am about to call customer, i need to think alot: gathering all the subjects related (to avoid calling many times), how to say it (wording). I...
Are you a successful sales person?
- Are you successful?
How do you define your personal success as a sales person?
Is it in Income/commissions?
Sales made for your company?
Batting average? or other statistics?
Rank among peers?
Esteem from your boss/company? (ha! not likely as there are never...
Coping with ups and downs of sales?
- Does anyone have any advice for coping with the ups and downs with sales? I find it's a lot like playing tennis (except against yourself), some days I'm on fire, other days I'm completely useless. I don't understadn why one day I can do so well, seem confdent,...
Go for Marketing Class- Self improve?
Just query is it necessary and worth to take a marketing course to enhance the marketing skills and strategies?
As i have around 5 years experience in sales line, but marketing just have beginning knowledge. in order to be more success in future, do i need to attend...
Law of Attraction
- I'm seeing a lot about the law of attraction on the Internet this month. Is that legit?
What is your opinion of people?
- I often read top salespeople have a different worldview towards people and how the world works. So what exactly is this view you have? What's your opinion of people? Good, bad, intelligent, stupid??? Do you feel superior to your customer? Just wondering..
Vision - The first step on the road to success
- The first step on the road to success is without a doubt a crystal clear vision of what you want to happen. Most of us have heard this a hundred times but still haven't take that first step.
Have you taken the first step and written out specifically what it is you're...
Keeping your mind sharp
What kind of things do you do to keep your mind active, sharp and at peak performance? Does taking supplements help, exercise, healthy diet, mediation, mind exercises?
- How do you define success in your sales career? Please respond by filling in the blank (one sentence only please!):
"For me, success is _________________"
What One Thing Do YOU Want To Learn?
- What ONE THING that a sales trainer or book or website could truly teach you (about selling) be most valuable to YOU? (please make your answer related to something you wish you knew rather than something you already know).
Another way of phrasing the question might be:...
How do you overcome an inferiority complex?
- I haven't been in real estate all that long and haven't done that many deals. Sometimes when I'm prospecting I get a little discouraged and doubt myself because of my lack of experience. My friend called it an inferiority complex. How do you overcome an inferiority complex?
- Do you wear a tie?
My boss here when he recruited me from my other position told me that I "wouldn't have to wear a tie"
I feel it is more proffesional to wear one, He tells me everyday he sees me, I see him maybe twice a week, to take it off because it may make my...
LITTLE Things = BIG Impact?
- Are there "little" things you do when working with a prospect that have made a difference in your sales performance? Perhaps there are several or many little things that you do that cumulatively have made a significant impact on your selling abilities.
I'm interested in...
Speaking Clearly Books?
- Hey guys.
I have noticed that i tend to mumble a lot, and when running through stuff with customers i find i mumble a little aswell.
I am wondering if there are any books on speaking clearly?
Ethics in Selling: Where do you Stand?
- Are there common activities in selling that are unethical? Of course, anything illegal is unethical. But what about for mainstream people who make their living selling?
Is persuasion ethical or not? (there are many posts at SP that imply it's not proper to be persuasive)....
Attention With Intention Creates Success
- Paying attention with the intention of understanding what's being said can create success for everyone getting what they want. Learning what it means to be attentive is an acquired and quite complex skill that can be simply summed up as: quieting the mind to listen without...
Give Give Give Yourself Over To Success
- You can only give yourself over to success. It's a universal law and has always been true and never will become out dated or taken over by technology. What we serve and who we serve is what we get back and the greater the giving the greater the rewards.
When you give...
Are "Golden Hours" still Golden?
- In the book, "The 4-Hour Workweek", Timothy Ferriss wrote, "If I simply made all my calls from 8:00-8:30 A.M. and 6:00-6:30 P.M., for a total of one hour, I was able to avoid secretaries and book more than twice as many meetings as the senior sales executives who called...
Personality and Career
- Hi Friend,
I have just graduated from university, and now i have started my first job. I feel not so comfortable with it. As my personality doesn't suit that job. I work as sales executive which requires those who are extraverted and good at communication and building...
Success in sales and life; pushing through negativity
- If you have been involved in sales for more than a few days, I am sure you’ve been subjected to all of the negativity in the world. Likewise, if you have been pursuing a dream in life, negativity can bring you to a stop if you let it.
So how do you know when to keep...
struggling with time management
- dear all,
This week I inserted cd into my car each morning and turned the volume down to count my driving time.
The time would only go up when the engine was running, it went through 99 minutes and back to 99 minutes again. that's about 198 minutes per day every day (on...
Save the Rookie!
- I posted most of this in my intro, but this is probably a better venue.
I sell software to the transportation industry - and I'm really floundering. I've always worked in phone sales, but this is the first time I've been in complex, long cycle, high level selling. By the...
Pulling Up From Failure To Success
- Every one of us could list hundreds of resources that have greatly informed us and helped improve our success. "How I Raised Myself From Failure To Success In Selling" by Frank Bettger is a classic in common sense selling and a fun book to read.
One of Frank's revelations...
Whats your secret?
- With '08 around the corner, one of my resolutions is to be waaaay more organized, and I was hoping that some you time-management experts could share some pointers on the system that works best for you.
How do you stay on top of your to do list?
What are your daily or...
Staying Healthy On the Road
I got a new sales job in insurance. After all the school and testing next week, I will be working for a good company with the potential to make a good living.
So the other day in the office as I am listening to the agents make calls, one of them calls to confirm a...
- Around about 1987 I was sitting having coffee in a McDonalds. Waiting for my contact to show up for an early morning breakfast meeting. Sitting close to me were 3 people that were in their 30's and early 40's (10 to 15 years older than I was at the time). They were talking...
Favorite Quotes or Advice
- The quote below is from "Selling by the Numbers" by Jason C Miller and is one of my favorites. What are some of your favorite quotes or pieces of advice?
Improvement = Change
- As 2007 winds down and we're all rushing to make our sales goals, it's a great time to identify what we'll do differently in 2008 to boost our sales numbers.
Sales improvement requires a change of sales behavior. Unless you work for a company that introduces a hot new...
Is Life Skills IQ more important traditional IQ?
- believe that life skills IQ is more important than traditional IQ scores or Emotional Intelligence. Although Emotional INtelligence seems to be all the rage right now, it seems limited. That is why I wrote the Life Skills IQ book. I believe that Emotional INtelligence is...
- Whoever thought of this one really hit the nail:
"The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra."
Being Nice vs. Getting Results
- I've met a lot of very nice salespeople. Some sell a lot, some not so much.
Part of being a professional at anything is not only knowing what it takes to succeed, but being single-minded in the pursuit of your goals. The big difference between the "nice salespeople"...
A new age business man, will I ever be accepted?
- Hi Guys! I'm new here and I found you guys actually in my search for some answers related to business and sales. I am currently employed by a nationwide telecommunications company in retail sales. I find a large hurdle I sometimes have to overcome is my looks. I used to...
- How important is ego in selling?
Hit The Bottom
- Typically people have to hit the bottom - miserably fail at whatever they've attempted to do - to seek help. Assuming two people have hit the bottom and one from day one seeks help, and assuming each is equally motivated, teachable, and has the same time to put into his/her...
- In my short career in sales i have encountered, because of the lack of success, a fear to close people. I thought it was hesitation, but my boss says that i still have a fear in the back of my mind. what is the best way to cope with this??
Striving for Success
- Success Is One Of Those Things That So Many People Strive For Yet No One Really Knows What They Are Striving For.
I Would Like To Share A Few Quotes And Thoughts On This Matter.
- The Road To Success Is Filled With Women Pushing Their Husband Along.
Due To This Being...
NLP in Sales
- What is everybody's thoughts, if you have any, on NLP in sales?
What is Life??
Found some good material, wanna to share with you all. Hope you will like it.
Treat Everyone With Politeness
Even Those Who Are Rude To You,
Not Because They Are Not Nice
Anthony Robbins Seminars
- Has anyone ever attended an Anthony Robbins seminar? If so, what did you think?
How about the books? Helpful, not helpful?
A good quote....
- "Impossible is a word only to be found in the dictionary of fools".
- Have any of you gone through a slump where you have lost your motivation....If so ...How did you get it back ?.....I am in a rut ...sales down 30 % ....I am not motivated anymore...I lost my MOJO...almost like burned out ...I am 38 yrs old ...and I have always been very...
Get out What you put in!
- Hello All,
Sales is a diverse industry and sometime we can spend to much time doing some cost effective but no result task. Although a lot of people can say I have sold in ______Field I can sell in _____ Field.
In my experience the outcomes of what works in some...
Your Desire Evaluation
- Now that you have answered the thought on your current situation. Select your first priority that you desire to achieve - Think about how or what you could change in your life in order to achieve it.
Good luck getting therethmbp2;
Ability to maintain a winning attitude
- Our ability to maintain a winning attitude will become one of our biggest assets. Many people can perform well when everything is going well. However, the real high achievers can maintain a positive, “can do” attitude even when under intense pressure.
The key elements...
Where do your goals Lay?
- Hello Everyone, This should make for very interesting reading,
Using the following list number 1 - 6 in your current priorites. Then list 1 - 6 where you want your priorities to be and come up with a solution on how you plan to get there. You might find that thinking...
Your Current Evalution
- Mark the following as to your current position. then go and mark my other thread on your Desired Evaluation.
What are you putting first in your life currently?
- Lloyd Jones
“The men who try to do something and fail are infinitely better than those who try to do nothing and succeed”.
Create Your Career 'Vision'...& Prosper
- Vision is a learned skill which allows you to 'see,' and 'feel,' where you want to be in your career in weeks, months, and years into the future. Most people do not utilize the power of this technique because they do not know about it or how to use it, or they are...
Law of Attraction & Selling...
- The Law of Attraction is very real. And it can make a huge difference in your sales career. The movie 'The Secret' popularized the law of attraction, but it gave no 'meat and potatoes' about how to actually use it in your sales career.
The law of attraction is just one...
- Think about that for just a moment……what are you trying to achieve, your own well defined outcome or are you in autopilot?
The answer is of course, if we can’t clearly define and articulate our own version of a well defined outcome then we are not masters of our own...
- After about a year and a half of driving around with my "Tony Robbins Goal Setting Seminar" on my iPod, I finally decided to give it a whirl again. As some of you know, I'm a big TR fan, and would HIGHLY recommend his products (please email me for a link - I may as well...
Getting the big picture to be successful
- I look upon getting the big picture as the most important factor in successful selling. It follows that being able to analyze is an indispensable ingredient to doing this.
What are your thoughts on this?
- Personally, I don't get much done without a To-Do list. Does anyone else rely on these?
Successfull Selling - Top 10 traits!
- Hi All,
As a discussion point, what would YOU consider as the most important top 10 traits of a successful seller? Answers may vary based upon the differing types of industry we all sell in, but what are the most important top 10 qualities? :cool:
Lets say you ran your...
Salespersonship is Relationship.
- Being in sales is not who you are but what you do.
You are defined in many different ways: Father, Mother, Brother, Sister, Son, Daughter, Cousin, smart, needs improvement, Rich, Poor. The list goes on.
I believe in order to be a top (sales) person, you need to seek,...
Sales Success/Motivation Podcasts?
- Hello All,
Glad to find this forum. Has anyone found any useful podcasts on keeping motivated and a positive attitude for sales?
I'm thinking of developing a weekly podcast of positive affirmations for keeping salespeople like us feeling optimistic and motivated.
Best way to learn
- What did you learn from most when you where a newbie, experienced and seasoned sales person?
Maybe a mentor, a book, a video, a coach, experience or etc...
Do You Use Audio Affirmation?
- I was wondering if anyone here has used any tapes or discs of spoken word to condition themselves for selling?
How about inspirational music in the style of Nicholas Cage singing opera before work in The Family Man? ;sm
Ethics and Percentage Earned
- I saw two post and thought combining them might be an interesting topic. My industry Mortgage brokering charges anywhere from 1% up to 5%. Either way it is disclosed to the consumer so do you think it is ethical to charge as much as you can as long as you tell the client...
Do you want to be smart or successful?
- I was at a seminar last week and one of the constant objections that comes up for any sales person is I want to think about it.
This is how I remember the speaker handling it. I had to put a bit of my own experience in there because I could not remember it word for word...
A question of ethics
- Where do you draw the line between sales and ethics?
I brought this question up in the "selling ice to eskimos" thread. If you want to follow the where and why, please start there.
Where Do You See Yourself Five Years From Now?
- I love the New Year. It is a magical time when you can start new. People believe that anything is possible. Out with the old and in with the new. How about those of you that are unemployed? How do you see the New Year? Is it half empty or half full?
My thought is that no...
Anyone experiencing burnout in sales?
- First of all, I"m only 1 month into my new job but i can say after 3 weeks of prospecting, cold calling, making an average of 50 - 75 contacts a day and getting shot down all day, I'm getting burned out. This isn't my first trip in to outside sales but it's the first type...
Next 5 Years?
- If you keep thinking and acting the way you’ve been doing for the past 5 years where will that take you?
If the answer is you’ll be where you want to go then great! If not then what are you going to start thinking and doing to get where you want to go?
My biggest tip
- My biggest tip in terms of personal development is to consider this. 'Sales person' is what you do, it may not be good to have it be what you 'are'.
I see a lot of salespeople get very gung ho and soon they are using all their techniques on their family, parnters,...
Purpose V Goals
- In this context I’m not talking about your life purpose, I’m referring here to an idea that we should all have 3 different purposes that we focus on throughout the year.
I personaly focus on these 3 purposes every year and not on individual goals.
In this context...
What floats your boat?
- The sales profession can be unforgiving - you get nowt for coming second, being tarnished by others bad practices, often much activity for little reward, bad times of the year, targets that appear like Mount Everest....and then there's paying the mortgage, providing for...
Food, Glorious Food - can your body handle it?
- During my 15 or so years in professional sales, aside from feeding my mind with positive thoughts, outcomes etc, I have started to develop an interest in how certain foods either help or hinder my body during my busy day to day sales schedule.
Many of books have been...
Measuring Personal Growth
- How does one measure growth to know growth is happening? What defined as growth terms are used in that measurement? Personal growth is big business but what is meant by that and how subjectively one is to know isn't a questions easily answered.
- Who's your inspiration of working hard?
In my opinion, to be successful is to have 90% concentration and 10% inspiration. My family is my inspiration inorder to reach my goal.
- Do you use music to motivate yourself? I usually listen to classical if I'm writing copy.
It's a movie, but there's a scene in Family Man where Nicholas Cage is singing along to opera before he goes to his Wall St job.
I've read reports that suggest students do better...
Fear of Success
- NOTICE: This thread is a split from a previous thread, Networking is great but..., that was located in the "Networking, Referrals and Word of Mouth" forum. This new thread starts out where the conversation splits from the original thread topic.
One of the sad realities...
You have Freedom of Choice ... Not Consequences
- Sales is about choice. Which one? What color? How many? You ask your customers these questions. Which ones should you ask yourself?
The ones that affect your income and your career.
Before you say "I always make the right choice" consider what the questions are.
Perservering in the Sales Profession
- Hi Guys
I've been in the sales line for awhile now and there are times when i just wana throw in the towel and give up.
There would be this head in my voice telling me that i'm not cut out to be a sales person.
How many of you ever felt this way?
What made you...
- Now were do I begin? I've got a decent product or two (own designs in the security industry, electronics) and I believe in em however to go out and sell the products is a paralyzing (Literally) thought. I do know there is a need for it cause the stats show it. Please...
Personal development - learning other languages.
- I think that a good aspect of personal development, which has relevance for international sales, is the learning of other languages.
I learnt French and Latin in school - ok, I know I will not be selling anything by speaking Latin, but it does give you a good basis for...
- What tips does everyone have for memorizing new information?
The importance of goals
- For all who want to play along, how important are goals to you? Do you set daily, monthly or yearly goals?
Poor results in sales
- For those who coach, mentor or manage others (including yourself) what have you found to be the most common cause behind poor results in selling or even life in general?
Think and Grow Rich
- Right now I'm downloading the "Think and Grow Rich" audiobook. I read the hardcopy several times over the last couple decades. Has anyone else read this classic?
Personal Development: Addition or Subtraction?
- Self improvement--personal development--getting better at what we do--living our lives in more rewarding fashion.
Is the process that governs these things one of addition or subtraction? Which is more predominant? Why?
- I travel a lot which makes for alot of "Windshield Time." While traveling I get the feeling that I should be doing something productive. What does everyone else do?
Do you set daily goals?
- I've spent the better part of the day prospecting for new leads. I ended up passing my daily goal. Yeah! :)
I was thinking about how good it feels to reach my goal and wondered if others are doing the same thing. Do you set daily goals in terms of action items?
The Cost of Procrastinating
- I was thinking about this earler and thought I would pass it on...
Whenever I find myself procrastinating, or wanting to put something off, I figure out what it might cost me in monetary gain by waiting. In essence, I assign a consequence to not taking action.
- Emotional intelligence is the ability to perceive emotions, to access and generate emotions so as to assist thought, to understand emotions and emotional knowledge, and to reflectively regulate emotions so as to promote emotional and intellectual growth. - Mayer & Salovey,...
Man I'm Tired! - Burn out?
- I don't know if I'm suffering from "burn out" or what but man am I tired. I used to eat, sleep and drink my work. I loved it.
Now, I don't hate it but I'm not excited to jump into it either.
Does anyone have any motivating ideas or advice?
Maybe I just need a few more...
Planning for Tomorrow
- I was reading another thread about "To-Do" lists and it reminded me of another habit I have found to be helpful which is planning the next day the night before. If you combine these two habits it can make for a very productive tomorrow. ;)
Dress for Success
- Has anyone read the book "Dress for Success" and if so what are your thoughts on the material?
money as motivation
- Obviously, most of us can be motivated by money, but raises are soon forgotten and commissions can be sporatic. What other factors motivate you? Would you still be doing what you do if the money you earn wasn't as good?