Home > Advertising > Does having your picture on your website make a difference?

Does having your picture on your website make a difference?

There is a discussion called, "Should salespeople put photos of themselves on business cards?" but what about websites. If you have a website should your photo be displayed? - by Iceman
Actually with a website you have so many more options that if you can get people to your site in the first place, you have options. In the first case of pictures... why not. Why not a video of you. Why not video demonstrations.

Why not get people on to your website and be able to do an actual presentation. This is what we're trying to design right now... put the presentations we do in person somehow online with a sortof self running PowerPoint... or an interactive calculator...

The real key I believe is how do you get people to your website. This is a new exploration for us into an entirely new landscape. We're excited about the possibilities for us here, and whether I want my mug on the site or not is debatable, but my kids are something else again.

Many companies freely advertise their workforce on websites, advertisements in trade publications and newspapers etc, and for me... the people stuff isn't negative for me, it's what they say they can do for me that matters.

So... after a long winded lead up... yes... no problems in my eyes.

Aloha... :cool: - by rattus58
There is a discussion called, "Should salespeople put photos of themselves on business cards?" but what about websites. If you have a website should your photo be displayed?
Hello Iceman

I believe that putting your picture on your website would be fine if you want to do that, especially if you are on your business cards and also on your commercials. You want to be consistant.

Warmest Regards - by MPrince
There is a dilemma with having your photo in your website; a website with out a photo can actually be interpreted as a big time company that holds a fleet of professionals and experts at your service. I am assuming that such a website projects quality in design, structure and content.
Now, if you put your own picture in your site you can very soon downgrade yourself to a single person working out of the kitchen table and this will not inspire confidence to the visitors. But there is one positive point to your photo; they can see some one real. What I think you could do is to create a series of departments and ad your photo and the photo of other reps and this will give your site some atmosphere of organization.

There is a discussion called, "Should salespeople put photos of themselves on business cards?" but what about websites. If you have a website should your photo be displayed?
- by designed
If you are your business and you have branded you business that way there is nothing wrong with that. Is it important to you and your business to seem bigger than you are? I strongly believe there are just as many companies that would be willing to do business with you just because you are small and they would get "YOUR" attention not some department head. - by MPrince
This kind of conversation excites me. As mentioned by a few, there is a whole new space out there to operate in. It's fresh, it's different, it's changing daily and it offers a lot that other platforms do not in terms of our personal brands, our company brand and the ability to share and reach new people, prospects, clients and so on in new places.

I attended Social Media Breakfast Minneapolis/St. Paul (SMBMSP) last Wed. If you are interested in social media and what it can potentially offer you, you should see if there is a SMB in your city. It started in Boston and has sprouted up in many other cities in the U.S. (it's free as well). The subject was your personal brand. If you've been operating in this space for a while you realize that there are rules and best practices, but if you're new, it can be a little tricky at first trying to figure everything out.

So, a few rules about pictures. If you're going to put yourself up on your Web site or any social sites (which you should consider another personal Web site, i.e. twitter, LinkedIn, facebook, etc.), have your picture represent you. A head shot is the best option. Not a picture of you partying or trying to show your personality (this may seem obvious, but unfortunately to some it is not). I thought the speaker mentioned a great point too... "Do not put a picture of up when you liked the way you looked or when you had hair, etc." Put a picture of how you look now up and use the same picture on every site you post a photo to. This way, when you meet people in person that you engage with online they have a much better way of identifying you.

Branding and personal brand are huge. There are a lot of things to be conscious of when getting into the social space, which can be as little as uploading multimedia content (pictures, video, etc.) to full blown brand identity on twitter, forums, facebook, etc.

The best rule to follow with all of this stuff is be COHESIVE across all of your communication. This suggests that you plan and not just throw content up.

I know I took this a lot further than a picture, but so much of it is an integrated effort. - by Lisa Grimm
I believe you should have a recent picture of yourself. The purpose of a web page and of participating in Social Media is to build relationships. I want to know who I am working with, it lends person ability and credibility. - by The Dynamic Business
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.