Home > Personal Selling > Today's Sales/Marketing Issues

Today's Sales/Marketing Issues

Hi All,

I'm doing some research into current issues within sales, and am looking for some insight.

It's pretty common knowledge that there is a lack of communication between sales and marketing departments in most companies, but what are some specific issues that need to be addressed to improve communication between these two departments?

Also, is there anything that needs to be done to improve communication between sales and sales management? - by cee77
It's pretty common knowledge that there is a lack of communication between sales and marketing departments in most companies, but what are some specific issues that need to be addressed to improve communication between these two departments?
Like many issues, the relationship, the feedback interchange, and the support mandate between the departments has to be clearly defined at the top management level of the company. Sadly, that does not happen enough in business. - by Ace Coldiron
Hi Cee

A comment from Ace will lead you in on to the most logical path.

I have luckily worked on both sides of the fence in my career.
From my experience and observation. Having a figure head that has the responsibilty of both functions will work best.

Having said that which ever side their natural "bent" is will lead ie sales or marketing.

It is a case of learning and appreciating what each department brings to the table.

The initial grounding of this when people first join an organisation is vital. The standards established by the new employees manager are vital. This could be a written document on expected standards and procedures.

At the end of the day marketing prepares the ground for a sales person to sell. Establishing a strong brand, understanding the target market their issues and needs and then creating the solution are all part of the broader marketing function.

Without the marketeers we would never sell anything and without us. There would be lots of amazing products that no body ever uses!!

Sales can then work with a prospect who then has an easier time relating to the product they are buying as this talks directly into the customer/clients issues.

On the subject of sales and sales managers. I am assuming you mean sales people and the people who are managing them ?? sorry if this sounds weird in the UK we sometimes use different terminology.

This must always start with the sales manager. They are the individuals with the skills. Taking a leaf out of basic core selling skills.

Build the relationship first. Until trust is established nothng happens. If you have not read it yet have a look at The Speed of Trust by Stephen Covey's son. It is excellent and really explains why some business's and sales teams fail.

We do a lot of work on this in our business in the uk. If you want more detailed information on what we have found from our own customer reserach just pm me. We are more than happy to share this if it helps.

Hope this helps at some level. They are two huge questions you ask which are a challenge to answer in a a 100 or so words!!

Best Wishes

Managers Coach - by ManagersCoach
In my career I can place my thumb on two exactly opposite companies that may give insight into your research. Company #1 was very sales driven and everyone followed their lead on product development, placement, and opportunities. Company #2 was completely driven by marketing. In that company marketing created the products and placed them in the product mix without the help of sales.

Since both departments interact with the customers both have good insight into what is needed. However salespeople are taught to listen. And they get to listen to hundreds if not thousands of prospects and customer. Salespeople understand what is happening on the ground

Marketers get to listen to small groups of customers and focus groups. Due to cost restraints it is very hard to bring pay for multiple large surveys or focus groups. These groups can uncover real opportunities. As we all may know these opportunities may or may not be complete or even real

The real disconnect between the two groups is when Top Management doesn’t create an interdepartmental team to merge the 2 sets of ideas. Without a team that can forcibly merge the ideas you could end up with a substandard product. - by dpeterson101
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.