Home > Personal Development > Do you want to be rich or do you want to be right?

Do you want to be rich or do you want to be right?

I was complaining in the office yesterday about some of the prospects I've been meeting with who were either rude, withdrawn or unrealistic. These are the types that really set me off. One of the other salespeople who has been doing this for a while asked, "Do you want to be rich or do you want to be right?" He said it's the salesperson's job to win friends and influence people from all walks of life and that being right might feed your ego but it won't put money in the bank. - by Thomas
My daddy used to tell me when I was a chile to look both ways before running across the street whether or not in a cross-walk... somehow i got inot a conversation about "rights" and all and my daddy made mention of that one could be right, and one could also be dead right.

Aloha... :cool: - by rattus58
Most complaining about customers is highly unproductive. No matter how hard one tries, one is unlikely to change customers (individual customers and customers as a whole). Therefore, putting an effort in facing the realities of the situation and determining what to change to achieve the desired results is virtually always the best strategy.

I agree with your colleague who said it's the salesperson's job to win friends and influence people from all walks of life.

Skip - by Skip Anderson
"Do you want to be rich or do you want to be right?"
The best statement to lead a fruitful life :) - by PiJiL
Complaining about customers and potential prospects is a ZERO-SUM practice.

The thought is that by venting about a customer one can get the complaining out of your system and move on, but then you’ve just polluted the verbal space of the person you just vented on.

All customers have one thing in common. I want you to remember this for the rest of your sales career. THEY DON’T WANT TO BE PROVEN WRONG OR EMBARRASSED.

Does that mean that customers are never wrong? Absolutely not! But you have to realize that a customer should never get the impression that you think they are wrong. Maybe the customer did not understand what they were complaining about. Maybe they weren’t trained to have the right expectations about a product’s performance.

If a customer complains to you, NEVER say “You were wrong....” or “You misunderstood...” or anything along those lines. You have to put the blame on yourself. Assume responsibility for their problem. Re-evaluate what you had told the customer. Let them know what to expect about a product. Make sure it meets their needs in advance. Give the customer the benefit of the doubt. Most customer just want to be understood and they want to be heard.

Mike Mangus - by mikemangus
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.