Home > Closing > Trial Close Examples

Trial Close Examples

The topic for this discussion is in regards to trial closes. I would be more than happy to hear some examples from trained professional salesmen/women as yourselves.

My example-
Case scenario: Selling advertisements and marketing strategies to prospects that want too sell/rent their timeshare. This particular presentation includes a choice of a free gift of the prospect's choice upon completion of sales agreement. The prospect has three different selections to choose from.

(After telling the customer the benefits of said vacation offer)

"Now Mr/Mrs. Prospect which vacation would you be more interested in; the fly away destination for two, the cruise for two, or a resort week of your choice?"

Notice how this question involves an answer that can determine that the Prospect has interest in the vacation and more importantly your proposal, however it is not a final deciding factor in the close of a sale. After your prospect answers whichever choice they have more interest in, than you can start going to even more benefits for that particular vacation and work your way to the final close question.

If the Prospect becomes hesitant, attempts to ignore the question, change the subject, is not interested in a vacation, in essence anything besides a straight up answer. Than this is of course the Prospect is not yet ready to proceed with your proposal. However, the question does not end the presentation so you are free to discuss the proposal further without ruining the sale. - by Are You With Me
May i presume that you are doing this trial close over the phone? Other questions to be used would be; how are we doing so far?, isn't this what you had in mind?, does this make sense?, and the on a scale of of 1 to 10 where would you place this opportunity? Keep in mind that after the questions are asked we must then shut up and wait for their response. These work on phone or face to face. - by martykapp

(After telling the customer the benefits of said vacation offer)

"Now Mr/Mrs. Prospect which vacation would you be more interested in; the fly away destination for two, the cruise for two, or a resort week of your choice?"
That sounds dangerously close to a closing question (alternative choice close) rather than a trial close.

A trial close is a test close to verify that you are on the right track. You're looking for a "green light" from the prospect so you can then proceed to ask your closing question or initiate whatever closing technique is appropriate.

I don't fully understand your particular situation, but some trial closes that might possibly work for your situation could be:

"Does everything we've talked about today make sense to you?"

"Are we on the right track here?"

"So package B is most appealing to you?"

"So the date you would be looking at starting our program would be June 1st?"

etc.

Skip - by Skip Anderson
I'm with Skip on this one. It sounds like an alternative close that you use. The customer in answering will be thinking that they've bought what you are offering. A trial close is more of a 'testing the water' question to gauge interest and likely commitment.
Hope this helps - by marky
Hmmm, I never thought of it that way. I just assumed it was a trial close because I personally didn't make any final sales with that question alone. Maybe I should ask for the sale if they answer positively instead of going into more benefits than. - by Are You With Me
Hmmm, I never thought of it that way. I just assumed it was a trial close because I personally didn't make any final sales with that question alone. Maybe I should ask for the sale if they answer positively instead of going into more benefits than.
There's a time and a place for your closing action. The purpose of the trial close is to see if you're on track, and to have a chance to adjust BEFORE you do your closing action. The sales appointment is all about building momentum so you get over the hump of status quo paralysis when you close, and the trial close will help you do that.

My advice isn't to skip your trial close, especially since you haven't made "any final sales with that question."

Does that make sense? - by Skip Anderson
I think this type of dialogue is very helpful in differentiating some of the concepts that may be confusing to less experienced salespeople. Kudos to Skip and Marky. - by Ace Coldiron
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.