Home > Advertising > How long will people see my message?

How long will people see my message?

A normal TV advertisement last for 10 sec, how long will aerial advertisements is visible?:cu - by Marwan
A normal TV advertisement last for 10 sec, how long will aerial advertisements is visible?:cu
Surely you jest, aerial ads? Let's see, if being towed by typical Cessna, Great Lakes, Stearman, Stinson, L-19 etc... you're talking about a 70 knot fly-by..... that is roughly a little over a mile to a mile and a half a minute. So if your span of observation is close by, you've got roughly 45 degrees of observation ... so.... that's 1/4 of the 180 degree span of travel.... so maybe 20 seconds. If your plane has standoff distance of 2500 feet, you'll roughly double your observation time and at $250 an hour of hauling your banner around you can cover 100 miles of observers... not bad... and it's a fun watch with them old bi-planes....

Sounds like a blast....

Aloha... :cool: - by rattus58
The average view time for your Aerial ad is 17 seconds directly in front of the target. This may not seem very long, but remember most people will watch the plane from the time it appears on the horizon until it disappears from sight. That means they are getting your message about your product for a lot longer, while being entertained by the airplane. In the case of events where the pilot is circling, the exposure is far greater and the retention rate much higher. - by fredrickjones
The average view time for your Aerial ad is 17 seconds directly in front of the target. This may not seem very long, but remember most people will watch the plane from the time it appears on the horizon until it disappears from sight. That means they are getting your message about your product for a lot longer, while being entertained by the airplane. In the case of events where the pilot is circling, the exposure is far greater and the retention rate much higher.
Thanks, Fredrick, ...very informative. Interesting subject. - by Ace Coldiron
Rule 1 of great advertising.....

Get the message in front of your 'target' audience for maximum results.

The reason TV advertising is dying is because more and more companies know that it is utterly untargetted.

Same goes for aerial ads. Save your money and advertise in a way that allows you to measure the results.

The days of 'getting your name out there' have long gone. - by helisell
Out front, I totally disagree with you. What could possibly have motivated you make this comment especially in the face of Cable TV and their "targeted" programming, which, by the way, a family member of mine sells very successfully.

Aloha... :cool: - by rattus58
Hi Rattus,

What motivated me is the knowledge that the very best results from any media come when it is targetted.

The more highly targetted it is the better the results will be.

Any medium that cannot give precise, measurable results is pouring money away. Unless you can pinpoint your ROI to the penny....how can you know if the ad (or whatever) was worth running.

I know that many companies spend vast amounts on blanket advertising and have no way of knowing where the results came from.

We are entering an age where companies have finally figured this out.

We are seeing a big shift to the time when targetted online advertising for example, will take more dollars than conventional/old school/unmeasurable/tv/mass coverage advertising.

There is a fascinating blog by Seth Godin who has written a lot on this subject and he is definitely worth reading far anyone in sales or marketing. - by helisell
Helisell, count me among those who have gone through enough painful lessons on this subject to believe you are very correct.

An interesting sidenote: I was asked recently about who I target my print advertising to. My answer was "people who read."

Don't laugh. That field is becoming more narrow in our culture. A good reason to closely discern the senior markets. - by Ace Coldiron
Yes Ace I agree...'people who read' is becoming a niche market....you should see my email inbox.

On a serious note I see targetting as being the same as face to face qualification.

Sometimes when we qualify (if we are doing it correctly) we identify people who are not the correct 'fit' for our product and we presumably would not 'sell' the benefits of something that is not, in this instance a benefit to them.

Mass advertising is the same as trying to sell to 'unqualified' customers and is 99% non productive.

Or as someone once said '90% of what I spend on advertising is a complete waste of money...problem is....I don't know which 90%' - by helisell
All advertising and every individual execution needs a creative idea. If it is a catchy and memorable then it is not an important thing that How long it has been shown. - by amuthanjrv
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.