Home > Consumer Behavior > Understanding the buyer's purchasing criteria

Understanding the buyer's purchasing criteria

Is understanding the buyer's purchasing criteria as important if not more important that matching features and benefits? - by Houston
More important? Isn't the purchasing criteria the reason for the sale? Isn't or aren't our features and benefits required to match the needs of the purchasing criteria in order to satisfy that criteria?

Aloha... :cool: - by rattus58
Desired features/benefits are a subset of a prospect's buyer's criteria, so I don't think we can look at this as an either/or question. Isn't it a little like saying, "which do you like better, dairy products or cheese?" - by Skip Anderson
Matching features and benefits is not important at all -- solving problems is. Understanding the buyer's purchasing criteria -- if I understand correctly is the process by which the purchase will be made -- the salesperson that doesn't know how the decision will be made is going to lose. - by Flyn L. Penoyer
Is understanding the buyer's purchasing criteria as important if not more important that matching features and benefits?
Do some research into the Buying Facilitation model by Sharon Drew Morgen. You will find your answer there. - by Bulldog
Matching features and benefits is not important at all -- solving problems is. Understanding the buyer's purchasing criteria -- if I understand correctly is the process by which the purchase will be made -- the salesperson that doesn't know how the decision will be made is going to lose.
Not all customers buy to solve a problem. - by Skip Anderson
Matching features and benefits is not important at all -- solving problems is. Understanding the buyer's purchasing criteria -- if I understand correctly is the process by which the purchase will be made -- the salesperson that doesn't know how the decision will be made is going to lose.
I'm not sure I'm understanding this. If I have a criteria of having a white car in order to put a blue logo on it in order to have a matching fleet of cars, and I only have blue cars, which I understand as being a feature/benefit, you're saying that this isn't important at all, only that he will buy white cars.....

I'm of the school, and I realize that this may be archaic nowadays, that's why I'm here, that you question the client in order to "understand his purchasing criteria" to use your vernacular, and to see where anything I have to offer fits.

Aloha... :cool: - by rattus58
quite often the client themselves do not know what the purchasing criteria is. I am there to inform them of this. - by rich34232
Interesting. There is an example of two differing perspectives, Tom's and Rich's, that are both very valid.

What brings the two concepts into common ground is probably an intent by both to use good questioning skills in their process.

I thnk if you examined any valid perspective in selling, and stripped it to its core, you would find a fundamental principle that the method rests on. - by Ace Coldiron
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.