Home > Cold Calling > when do I know when and how to change tactics?

when do I know when and how to change tactics?

I assume that you have to test before you replace a selling tactic.
But when do you know when to change it?

Do I say that 5 calls with at least 3 equal results then I decide whether to stick to it, or change it?

How do I determine which of these needs to be changed:
-The words
-The tone
-The pressure/"melody" of my speech
-The speed
-The process
-The questions

...if you can add more, please do so that I can be aware of what my improvement possibilities are.

I have so far made 2 such calls in my life, and decided I needed to learn before doing... Didn't even get a conversation going before people hung up on me... :cu

well, I hope that someone can help. Everything will be highly appreciated ;sm

Take care,
*Louise - by cleocatra999
Louise, all salespeople have to self-coach to determine what changes to make. I applaud your recognition that changes are required. Now you just need to figure out what to change.

Working with a sales coach, sales manager, or sales mentor can help, too. Imagine starting out playing golf or oil painting or making a wood cabinet without anybody ever showing you how to do it. Selling is no different.

If the root of the problem is insufficient sales knowledge in general, then it would be advisable to start by reading a half-dozen books or attend a good sales seminar or spend a few days reading posts here at SalesPractice. Subscribe to some blog feeds and sales trainers' email newsletters and listen to podcasts.

I hope that's somewhat helpful. - by Skip Anderson
Hi skip :)

Thank you very much for your advice.

I am reading a lot, and I hope it helps.
My budget is pretty non-existent so I can't afford couching, but I hope it will be possible some time in the future if I still don't get it by then.

Reading is one thing, doing it is a whole other story. But I think I can afford a few errors in the beginning :)
Do you have any blogs and/or newsletters you recommend, especially about Cold Calling?

Wishing you a nice day,
Louise, as my mentor Tom Hopkins always says, practice, drill and rehearse. The time to do that is not on the playing field. Spend time with coworkers, fiends, your spouse and practice. - by Jim Klein
Thank you Jim :)

I hope I can find some suitable people to rehearse to in the near future.

Take care,
Louise,

It sounds like you're making the correct first steps - trying multiple approaches and learning what works for you and what doesn't.

I'd suggest thinking about it in two ways:

1. Strategy vs. Tactics - no one approach is going to work for everyone in every industry. Work hard to develop multiple tools and skills to draw on when appropriate.

2. Make micro adjustments - if you change everything all the time, you'll never know what components worked and what didn't. Obviously learn from and take advice from others, but make small adjustments to isolated components of your process and judge the impact. This way you'll hone in on best practices that work for you.

Good luck!
Stephen - by sfrenkel
Hi Louise....

While a fledging agent with Connecticut General back around the Reagan Years.... sn; we had to learn, memorize, rehearse, and present.... all on film. We video taped and critiqued each and every one of us. I do this still. I tape many of my presentations for myself and critique myself. I will have my son mute and listen to presentations and cold calls on the phone... critique my performance and make suggestions... I video tape EVERY major presentation before I present it.... and I still need help... stcktng;

Rehearsal, tape and video I think for ME, are crucial in that I make any sales at all... and possibly might have some benefit for you... if you are interested in seeing how the

-The words
-The tone
-The pressure/"melody" of my speech
-The speed
-The process
-The questions

are working for you...

Much Aloha,

Tom :cool: - by rattus58
Stephen and Tom, thanks a lot to both of you :)

1. Strategy vs. Tactics - no one approach is going to work for everyone in every industry. Work hard to develop multiple tools and skills to draw on when appropriate.
I learned that the hard way today. So I'm back to studying even more *LOL*. But still, this is so fun. I just wish I knew what to do once the people say "no thanks"... I kind of hurry very much putting the phone down after that...

Tom, I love the video idea!! Just need a camera, but until then I can record myself on the mp4 player for the calls :)
I sure will try that asap!

Take care both of you.

Louise

You certainly can't judge with only two calls. It will take much more. In Sales you just have to keep at it. The more you do it the better and more comfortable you will get. Do a lot of roll playing with friends and family so that you can become comfortable with your phone script. You want to be able to sound natural.

When I first started in sales I had no training so it took me a month to make my first sale. The key is to not give up! Believe in yourself keep making the calls and the first thing you know you will be making sales. What product or service are you selling? Maybe we can help you with writing a better phone script.

Remember the more calls you make the better your chances are of making a sale!

Let us know how we can help!

Warmest Regards - by MPrince
Thanks Martha :)

I appreciate you encouragements so very much.
Well, I did suspect before I started that my impatience for results would get in my way, or at least get me frustrated *LOL*

After your first sale, did you then suddenly at once started making sales regularly?
When talking after 1 month, how many attempts does that count?

Right now I'm selling SEO solutions, and job ads over the phone.
-next I'm moving on to selling postcards, which is 100% walking from place to place with no prior appointment.
And I'm also adding school photos (as soon as the guys get done with the brochures), which mainly will be a phonecall to set up a meeting. So I'm currently covering 3 areas of selling.

But I have scripts for the cold calls:

Job Ads:

"You are speaking with Louise from _____ about job ads.
May I ask you a few questions concerning your experience so far?

(in case they agree)

I have noticed that you not long ago put an ad on ____ . Did you get enough qualified applicants compared to what you expected?

What does it mean to you to know how many interested people have read the ad compared to how many actually applied for it?

If you would have done something differently in order to get better qualified people, what would that be?

May I email you some information for you to consider when you are looking for new employees in the future?

(regardless whether or not they answer the questions)

Thanks a lot for your time.
Bye."

SEO solution:

"Hi.

You are speaking with Louise from ____.
May I ask you some questions to see if your website qualifies to our service, which gives webshops with low pagerank an oportunity to compete with the higher ranked websites for a position on Google's 1st page?

(in case they say yes)

How are you currently advertising?

Are you satisfied with the result compared to the workload and price?

How much would 10,000 hits and a position on Google's first 5 pages mean to you?

I believe our offer can be of great value to your business. May I present it to you, or would you like me to email you? No strings attached, merely for the look to begin with.

(regardless whether or not I got to ask the questions)

Thank you for your time.
Bye."

I considered asking something provocative like:
Do you think you can handle choosing from more qualified people/getting more traffic to your webshop?

Any input/comment will be appreciated.
Usually, I turn away from the script and ask/say aditional things to get the conversation flowing.

Sales or not, I'm actually having a pretty good time doing this :)

Take care,
Louise

It took a while for my sales to become consistant...I don't rememeber how long it took, after the first sale, but I do remember it wasn't easy. Just keep at it and be patient with yourself.

Try opening your calls with something like this;

Hello this is Louise from XYZ Company.

I have some important information I would like to share with you. I believe my company can supply you with better qualified job applicants. Do you have time to talk now or is there a better time to call you back?

Sometimes it is better to make an appointment to call back on your first call. That way you have his permission to call and you are not under pressure.

Warmest Regards - by MPrince
Martha, thank you so very much :)

I really appreciate your replies to my posts because I learn so much from them.

...What do I do if they tell me not call back?

I'm gonna try your approach, which will hopefully already be tomorrow :)

Take care,
Then you go on to someone else and don't waste anymore time on them. There are to many people out there that want what you have to offer to waste your time on someone that doesn't. All you have to do is find them. Remember, the more people you reach the better chances you have of making a sale. You can do it! But you have to believe you can! - by MPrince

...What do I do if they tell me not call back?

Take care,
*Louise
That is natural. There is no point in calling back with the same information. However with "new" information.... :)

"Hi... Client Jo... Louise Star here, forgive me please, but would you help me out here for a minute... you asked that I not call you back I acknowledge that, but I have some really exciting news to share with you. I remember from our last conversation that ______ didn't seem to exciting but you told me that _______ and we've developed a way for you to profit with our ______. Have you changed your ________ etc....

That at least would be the start of learning for me .... :)

Good luck... we do question and sell for worksite universal life over the phone. It's a different kind of selling... but it's fun for us.

Much Aloha... Tom :cool: - by rattus58
Thanks so much to both of you :)

"Hi... Client Jo... Louise Star here, forgive me please, but would you help me out here for a minute... you asked that I not call you back I acknowledge that, but I have some really exciting news to share with you. I remember from our last conversation that ______ didn't seem to exciting but you told me that _______ and we've developed a way for you to profit with our ______. Have you changed your ________ etc....
Very interesting excuse for calling back *LOL*

I just can't wait to try calling again :)

Take care,
Louise

Just don't get discouraged...remember the more people you reach the better your chances of finding the ones that want and need what you have to offer. If someone says no they are not saying no to you as a person they are saying, no I don't need your product right now, but I might later. Tom is right in that, you should always keep their name and give them a call back later with something new, different and, exciting.

warmest Regards - by MPrince
Martha, thank you for your encouragements :)
-I really need that because I'm not good with patience in the learning processes.

I look forward to make some calls today, hopefully my results will get better and better :)

Take care,
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.