Home > Interview > How do you handle, 'Show me what you have.'

How do you handle, 'Show me what you have.'

How do you handle controlling comments like "show me what you have" and regain control with total ease? - by Thomas
"Absolutely, Mr. Customer, I'll definitely show you what I have that fits what you're looking for. Tell me a bit more about what you had in mind?" - by Skip Anderson
"Absolutely, Mr. Customer, I'll definitely show you what I have that fits what you're looking for. Tell me a bit more about what you had in mind?"
We're renting in the community right now and are just looking around at the different options for next year and are curious about what these are like so we'd like to look at what you have. - by Thomas
We're renting in the community right now and are just looking around at the different options for next year and are curious about what these are like so we'd like to look at what you have.
"Great question, Mr. Customer. When are you thinking you might make a change next year?" - by Skip Anderson
"We're renting in the community right now and are just looking around at the different options for next year and are curious about what these are like so we'd like to look at what you have."
I'm glad you've decided to consult with me on that.

Let me begin by explaining to you how I work.

What I do is start with a 25 minute, fact-finding, non-decision making meeting with interested clients. Inasmuch as you're here, can we do that now?
Note: "Let me begin by explaining to you how I work." is one of the most powerful sentences in all of Selling. Many of the best of the best use it. - by Ace Coldiron
"Great question, Mr. Customer. When are you thinking you might make a change next year?"
We don't know what we're going to do yet. We just want to get a feel for what's out there. - by Thomas
"We're renting in the community right now and are just looking around at the different options for next year and are curious about what these are like so we'd like to look at what you have."

What I do is start with a 25 minute, fact-finding, non-decision making meeting with interested clients. Inasmuch as you're here, can we do that now?
Note: "Let me begin by explaining to you how I work." is one of the most powerful sentences in all of Selling. Many of the best of the best use it.
We just want to see what these are like. We don't even know if this is something we want to do. - by Thomas
We just want to see what these are like. We don't even know if this is something we want to do.
Nope, Thomas. That's what you're getting....not the guy that says:

Note: "Let me begin by explaining to you how I work." is one of the most powerful sentences in all of Selling. Many of the best of the best use it.

Thomas, playing the devil's advocate against powerful tools like the one above may make for a lengthy thread and all types of opinions, but if you're really looking for help in gaining control, you just got it.
- by Ace Coldiron
Thomas, playing the devil's advocate against powerful tools like the one above may make for a lengthy thread and all types of opinions, but if you're really looking for help in gaining control, you just got it.
Another long thread isn't for me. I do want a solution to this situation because I get it every single day. For a while I have been working in a mobile home park in the sales office. We sell new and used vacation homes for the park owners and people who own units in the park. There are a few other parks close by and one of the ways people in these parks spend their time is going around and looking at what's for sale. You would think they had better things to do with their time. The posts I made before this one were from the last conversation I had with someone who came into the office today. It's not special. It will happen again tomorrow. I haven't come up with a solution yet so now I show the two new models because one is small and cheap and the other is large and spendy. I use this time to try and get the conversation moving in the right direction. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Twice this week people came in when another agent was showing homes and had the keys and were unhappy that they couldn't see homes right then. I said if they wanted to come back later or schedule an appointment I would make sure and have keys available. They didn't want to do either. They were here now and wanted to look at homes now. This pisses me off just thinking about it. These people are frickin aholes. Why do salespeople drink? You tell me! - by Thomas
This statement "show me what you have" is a clear indicator that that call has already started on the wrong foot. Unless this is a door-to-door cold call the salesperson shouldn't be in this persons office as it is obvious that this prospect thinks he's talking to a salesman, not feels like he's working with a "problem solver."

I would set this person on their heels by responding "I am sorry, but I don't believe I can do that? The prospect is going to ask "Why?" to which that answer is "To show you how I can help you solve your problems I need to understand them... would you mind telling me more about ..."

If you don't set this prospect on their heals, you will get the response -- "Look I just what to know what you have?" this prospect isn't going to respond to "Let me begin by showing you how I work," and if he does he will likely not really be listening -- he's still waiting for the answer to his questions.

The real problem here is NOT the prospect's statement,it's the salespersons set up of this appointment -- this prospect wasn't qualified. - by Flyn L. Penoyer
If you don't set this prospect on their heals, you will get the response -- "Look I just what to know what you have?"
That is exactly what some of them say.

Flyn I'm sitting in the sales office and these people drop in unannounced. That's why I am there to handle the traffic so I don't have any control over who comes in or if they are qualified. - by Thomas
"Show me what you have..." I've not run into this before. However should I have the opportunity to have this challenge I think that the only thing that I could do would be to answer with a question of my own... and then follow with something similar to what Ace alluded to... a factfinder.

"Sure Jim, but tell me, are you interested in a comprehensive financial plan or are there specific areas that you are concerned about?"

I've got to get HIM talking or I can't do nothin for him.

Although now I see we might be talking about rentals and stuff, I think my approach might be similar...

Aloha... :cool: - by rattus58
If they are walking in, then you need to take control in the very same way -- you can't sell by "telling."

You have to set the tone for the conversation and I would be tempted to use the very same line. You might say "Do you have a couple of hours?" "What do you mean a couple of hours?" "Well if I don't understand your ... I am going to have to teach you about the product in great detail so you can figure out what it will do for you?"

Whatever you do -- answering that question directly is death. - by Flyn L. Penoyer
I've got to get HIM talking or I can't do nothin for him.
You could do exactly what the prospect says he wants which is for you to show him what you have. bgwnk;

Don't think they are all that way but enough of them to make your day suck if you don't have a solution. - by Thomas
I disagree, answering the question is death -- clerks answer questions, good salespeople solve problems and "TELLING" the prospect what you have DOESN'T SELL. - by Flyn L. Penoyer
First, let’s really climb inside of this all-important moment in time, one that is an extremely common occurrence in many sales calls. Once you embrace that you are faced with a cross roads of sorts, a choice that can potentially lead to a loss of control and/or a moment when the sales call gets off track, you can begin to understand what is at the heart of salesmanship.

Loss of control happens when the buyer asks questions after question. You think you are doing what you should be doing, being honest and all, trying to help, so you answer one, then the customer asks another and another, and soon they are ready to “think it over” having picked your brain. In reality, you never had the chance to learn what they need, uncover any pain or sense any feelings – in other words you could not do your job, all cause you were “polite”.

A sales call gets off track during this selling moment also, for lack of a better explanation. This is when you, as a sales rep sense what is happening but are not well practiced at what to do. You can end up with bad or phony karma if you deal with it in such a way that is not smooth but rough instead - I will explain.

None of us no matter how good we are or how much we prepare in terms of selling skills, can get this all important moment right every time. It depends on how you feel, how excited you are and how much you understand about “the beginning”.

Most of us win in sales because we hustle, taking advantage in a big way of the numbers game but not so much of the “Skills Game” (this name is taken straight out of the old PSS course, hence the use of capitals, as in it is a Proper Name), even though it is even more critical!

I consider this moment in a sales call to be one of the most powerful or powerless. You can and must set the stage, gain control without making it look like you are - by being prepared for this moment and being smooth and natural, then start to uncover their needs/pain. And, finally, address them with the benefits of your product or service and company.

"Absolutely, Mr. Customer, I'll definitely show you what I have that fits what you're looking for. Tell me a bit more about what you had in mind?"
Skip is gaining control by asking questions. This is excellent, flipping the situaiton around. However, we often know very little about what they need. And, quite frankly, they may not have been looking for anything at all, which is the case in hard economic times when we are creative as sales people.

So, while the above works in the example in this thread … it does not work in other selling situations. Let’s look at Ace’s example now;

" I'm glad you've decided to consult with me on that.

I like Ace’s set up a great deal, for several reasons. It does gain control and it does explain why the situation requires the sales person to ask questions. However, there is one way we can improve this dramatically.

In all cases what we need to do is think in terms of what is in the best interest of our prospective client and speak in those terms. Let’s try a rewrite of this script, shall we?

I'm glad you've decided to consult with me on that. This remains the same unless they did not decide to consult with you, such as during a cold call … then it alters to;

It is awesome that you have given me this opportunity to speak with you today because it is almost certain that I can help you _________________ (insert general benefit, like: “improve your profit” or; “find the perfect home that fits your budget”).

Now the script goes on;

Let me begin by explaining to you how I work and more importantly how I can help you! This converts the script – we are now thinking of our prospect more than of ourselves, which is critical. Let’s start talking to them about what they care about = themselves!

Now we alter the next bit, saying; “I need to begin by asking you a few questions as there is more than one way I can be of real assistance. You see, I do this every day, you only do it occasionally ([or, replace with; “if you have ever done it at all”] and, if not replaced; “like once every ___________ years”). And, I am certainly hoping to use my extensive experience to your benefit, which is possible through asking you a few questions. Then I will better understand your position and be able to better assist you.”

A prospect that we got an appointment from a cold call we would handle the moment as above but that will notwork smoothly for every situation. As in the real estate buyer example in this thread – say that prospect walks into the office and is assigned to you, they would be right for the question Ace ended with: can we do that now? A prospect that you surprised by calling on them, walking into their office, you might end it this way …. can we do that now or would you like to set a time for me to come back next week?

As you read this if it appears that the possible number of ways you can go are confusion, remember, you are not in every situation and every business (B2C as well as B2B). Thus you need to only know what applies to what you do today. And, though there are endless numbers of ways this can be done and done as smooth as silk, you must only know a couple to be an excellent master sales person and the psychology is the same in all businesses.

Good Luck. - by Gold Calling
I disagree, answering the question is death -- clerks answer questions, good salespeople solve problems and "TELLING" the prospect what you have DOESN'T SELL.
In that situation where you're the agent sitting at the desk and someone walks in says what I posted what would you do? - by Thomas
I have to go to bed but before I do let me paint you a picture. Imagine that you are the salesman assigned to a subdivision of a new type of "Wonder" home that people aren't familiar with and you have twenty models throughout the community to choose from, all of them are different. You're not aloud to let people wander through the models alone, they have to be with you. A dozen or more people show up every day wanting to look at the new "Wonder" home.

1. - You know a number of these people are just curious and don't intend to buy. Some even say they aren't buying this year but they still want to see the homes or they might if they see a super duper deal that they can't pass up. Where do you go from there?

2. - When you try to narrow down the list of homes to look at by criteria like price or size the prospects say I don't know, it depends on the home, I'd have to see it, where here to see what you have. Where do you go from there? - by Thomas
It sounds to me Thomas you have never had the proper sales training and you should invest some time and money in getting some.

In reading your post you also need to adjust your attitude and where you are focusing your attention.

Lastly, a good sales person needs to be teachable. You have been given some good advice, however, you're shooting it all down without considering how you might be able to use the advise. - by Jim Klein
I would set this person on their heels by responding "I am sorry, but I don't believe I can do that? The prospect is going to ask "Why?" to which that answer is "To show you how I can help you solve your problems I need to understand them... would you mind telling me more about ..."
NO. The prospect is NOT going to ask "WHY". Not in the real world. In most cases they will end it right there.

We are supposed to ENGAGE the prospect. - by Ace Coldiron
It is awesome that you have given me this opportunity to speak with you today because it is almost certain that I can help you _________________ (insert general benefit, like: “improve your profit” or; “find the perfect home that fits your budget”).
GC, we are missing an ingredient that is humongous, and this statement, and this thread may be the perfect place to address it--perhaps for the first time ever on SalesPractice.
"It is awesome that you have given me this opportunity to speak with you today because it is almost certain that I can help you _________________" (insert general benefit, like: “improve your profit” or; “find the perfect home that fits your budget”).
I have had some wonderful conversations with you and I have an advantage over some, in that I have heard the sound of your voice and how you speak. I can conjure up you exact timing and tonality in my "mind's ear".

You would be able to deliver those specific 25 words flawlessly and with the impact you want. I would approximate that 99 percent of the people here could not say them effectively, and perhaps less than 40 percent could come close after hours, perhaps days, perhaps weeks, of rehearsing.

Try a test. Give me an example of two actors that were ever able to say these famous simple words, "To be or not to be..", in the same way and manner, and having the same underlying meaning.

Six simple words! Fourteen letters! Is it any wonder that Hamlet is considered the most difficult role.

GC, you have a voice and tonality, and timing, very similar to an architect friend of mind in California--a native Californian to boot. His delivery of the word "Awesome" would be as effective as yours. But I would have to rehearse those twenty five words at length to even come close to your effectiveness.

As a boy I had a speech defect and it contributed to a fear of public speaking that I had when I entered my professional life, even though the defect was reduced considerably. I had to overcome that, and that and the day came when I was sometimes hired to do radio commercials even though I was not in broadcasting. It took time. YET--I, like everybody else, cannot deliver every phrase in selling effectively, because of the restrictions of culture, manner, etc.

"Let me begin by explaining how I work" can be learned, and in my opinion SHOULD be. Those that don't understand WHY those words are powerful will be handicapped in their career. Those that DO understand why those words are powerful are at an advantage whether they use them or not.

I share what I said in the last paragraph simply to point out that I became keenly aware of the disparity among people in being able to deliver effective words and phrases.

I have no idea if Thomas is taking in any of the help people are trying to give him, or if we are just sawing sawdust. But I wanted to insert those thoughts because this thread seemed a good time to finally do it.

I suggested "Let me begin by explaining how I work.." which are very powerful words in selling. THOSE EIGHT WORDS take practice. Those eight words will make money--a lot of money--for the people who decide to use them and decide to rehearse them.

GC, you and I know a sad fact. Very very few would take the time to learn to say your 25 words or my 8 words. It's work. And the hardest work is sometimes suspending one's own disbelief. - by Ace Coldiron
Funny Ace, I just posted in another thread almost the exact same frustration. Here is the quote form the other thread;

"And getting better means practice but how many people on this forum can say they practice the setup of a meeting out loud with their significant other or to a mirror repeatedly to be able to express more so with enthusiasm than an actual benefit as to why a meeting should be conducted?"

For those of you reading these posts, Ace's and mine in this thread (not to mention many others), what you have to do is start going from theory to practice. And it is our desire at salespractice.com (as leaders), for those of you who are still impressionable, that two things should happen;

(1) That you not get caught up in NEW AGE SELLING stuff, in other words that you consider the source of the information and therefore have a chance to learn to master all aspects of selling, and;

(2) That you tackle the road least traveled and actually practice. Do what 99% of others will not do!

What does this mean? Lot's of activities, including but not limited to;

Speak it out loud, listen to a CD you make yourself in the car on the road ... prepare, and by that I do not so much mean study the prospect as knowing how to handle them once you get face to face or get them on the phone ...

Learn to prospect for heaven's sake. It won't kill you and you can master it at least to some degree.

Ace is bang on, you cannot be good enough to deliver Shakespeare's words as a masterful actor until you did your time as an understudy, lived your lines, spoke them out loud on the subway, in the car, to your significant other, out loud at home and every single opportunity you get with a real prospect.

It will take time and effort. And if you are self effacing you will be embarrassed with yourself at times. You definitely will feel uncomfortable - as getting out of your comfort zone is what growth is all about.

"As a man thinketh, so he becomes!" I f I am not mistaken this is in the Bible.

All we need to do is change that to replace MAN with PERSON and HE with THEY or whatever ... or use Norman Vincent Peale and Earl Nightingale;

"What you think about you bring about!"

Believe first. See yourself as a sophisticated all around top performer. One that can use the phone, one that can set up an appointment without loosing control or making the prospect field dominated or other wise weird-ed out ...

See yourself closing in the same way.

You can have it all.

Ace, I always think of Death of a Salesman; "Why I could out box ... " - by Gold Calling
Thomas, I like to point out you are not a doormat & you are also not an order taker.

Following Aces advice, with killer power statement “can we do that now” clearly takes away control from the client. In addition his strategy does a few other things ie pre-qualification, determining client’s needs etc, etc, etc.

In short it divests the client of control of the situation, and puts you in charge. And yes, people do look at properties while they are on vacation. I do, I just make appointments & yes we do make buying decisions while on vacation.

Your time is valuable, these folks that visit your office are on vacation. They can spend their time as flippantly as they like, just don’t let them flippantly waste your time by not sitting them down & consulting you. Not only will they come to realize that you are there to do business but you can also weed out the buyers from the tire kickers.

Hope this helps.
j.p.o - by DIAMONDSTAR
It sounds to me Thomas you have never had the proper sales training and you should invest some time and money in getting some.

In reading your post you also need to adjust your attitude and where you are focusing your attention.

Lastly, a good sales person needs to be teachable. You have been given some good advice, however, you're shooting it all down without considering how you might be able to use the advise.
Okay, that's it. I bring up "real" topics that are happening to me and probably happening to others and I get treated like I'm in my own little world and that what I describe doesn't happen in the "real world". I have been open, honest and straightforward and if I wrote it then it happened. The fact that some of the trainers here don't get it doesn't change that.

The fact that so many trainers here don't get it makes me wonder how well they would do in my position which I've described in my previous posts... sitting in a sales office where people come in to look at the new and used homes for sale. I suspect they wouldn't light up the charts.

"I'm glad you've decided to consult with me on that. Let me begin by explaining to you how I work. What I do is start with a 25 minute, fact-finding, non-decision making meeting with interested clients. Inasmuch as you're here, can we do that now?" If I walked onto a car lot and a salesman told me he wanted to start a 25 minute whatever I would tell him to push off. Who said I decided to consult with you on that? I said was were here to look around. THAT is the REAL WORLD. - by Thomas
Okay, that's it. I bring up "real" topics that are happening to me and probably happening to others and I get treated like I'm in my own little world and that what I describe doesn't happen in the "real world". Kiss off. I have been open, honest and straightforward and if I wrote it then it happened. The fact that some of the trainers here don't get it doesn't change that.

The fact that so many trainers here don't get it makes me wonder how well they would do in my position which I've described in my previous posts... sitting in a sales office where people come in to look at the new and used homes for sale. I suspect they wouldn't light up the charts.

"I'm glad you've decided to consult with me on that. Let me begin by explaining to you how I work. What I do is start with a 25 minute, fact-finding, non-decision making meeting with interested clients. Inasmuch as you're here, can we do that now?" Are you frickin kidding? If I walked onto a car lot and a salesman told me he wanted to start a 25 minute whatever I would tell him to push off. Who said I decided to consult with you on that? I said was were here to look around. THAT is the REAL WORLD.

Screw this. I can get advice like this in any back alley. Delete my account!
Although this post calls for deletion because it is an infringement of policy here, I am asking that this post not be deleted by the other moderators. The reason for my request has to do with learning. IN ORDER TO UNDERSTAND LEARNING YOU HAVE TO UNDERSTAND WHY PEOPLE DON'T LEARN. Ayn Rand said it better.

I truly feel bad for Thomas feeling like he does, But, YES, it probably is better that he leaves the forum. I hope he overcomes his frustration and evenually finds the joy in selling that many of us have.

BTW, I'm not a trainer. My "real world" has been funded by closing the vast majority of over 60 thousand eyeball to eyeball sales situations. - by Ace Coldiron
And yes, people do look at properties while they are on vacation. I do, I just make appointments & yes we do make buying decisions while on vacation.

Your time is valuable, these folks that visit your office are on vacation. They can spend their time as flippantly as they like, just don’t let them flippantly waste your time by not sitting them down & consulting you. Not only will they come to realize that you are there to do business but you can also weed out the buyers from the tire kickers.

Hope this helps.
j.p.o
That does help. I get the feeling that you UNDERSTAND where I am coming from. I will be doing another open house today and will work the ideas in this thread into what I do. Thanks! thmbp2; - by Thomas
"GREAT IDEA MR. CUSTOMER!! I have over 900 units on the lot at the moment, is there particular features or options that your intrested in or would you like to see them all?" - by jrboyd
Thomas

I'm with ACE Coldiron on this one:

I might just change the focus from me to customer.

What i'd like to do is explain how I help customers like yourself utilise their time effectively and make the right buying / renting decisions

I need to fully understand you and your requirements, then once I've got a really good picture of what you want / need, I'll be able to show what we've got that will fit..............
How does that sound? - by marky
I got a negative reputation strike from this thread with the comment "out of touch" which was very congruent with the vitriol of former member Thomas. It is an amazing coincidence, a study in contrast, really. During the last several days while I have been posting, and Thomas has been posting his frustations on the now closed threads, I have enjoyed my highest volume completed sales in one week of the last four years.

I'll stay out of touch.

JR, with his great attitude is selling cars like crazy. A lot of people doing just fine out there. A lot of good news if you know where to look.

So much is about suspending disbelief. Some can't do that. Some do not belong in sales. Some are just frustrated and I have empathy for them and wish them well. - by Ace Coldiron
You could do exactly what the prospect says he wants which is for you to show him what you have. bgwnk;

Don't think they are all that way but enough of them to make your day suck if you don't have a solution.
Hi Thomas...

That is ALWAYS the option, but I think if I was sitting on an inventory of homes or rentals, if this is what we're talking about, I'd not be wanting to run all over town.

I think if I was a salesman selling pocket knives, jewelry, watches, or guns and the like... stuff that is usually locked up, then I think I'd probably do exactly as you suggested, show them what I've got, but if I have to get off my butt and go somewhere, then I'm thinking out loud here, I'm thinking that I'm going to qualify them a little first and if they cannot get stratified somehow into a possible buyers mode... I'd hand them a brochure.

Much Aloha.... Tom :cool: - by rattus58
Hi Thomas...

That is ALWAYS the option, but I think if I was sitting on an inventory of homes or rentals, if this is what we're talking about, I'd not be wanting to run all over town.

I think if I was a salesman selling pocket knives, jewelry, watches, or guns and the like... stuff that is usually locked up, then I think I'd probably do exactly as you suggested, show them what I've got, but if I have to get off my butt and go somewhere, then I'm thinking out loud here, I'm thinking that I'm going to qualify them a little first and if they cannot get stratified somehow into a possible buyers mode... I'd hand them a brochure.

Much Aloha.... Tom :cool:
I agree Tom.

I made a flyer that has every unit with basic information including the price that I can give out. I try to use this as a way to get them to say "hey, what's this one like" and it does okay.

There are two models close that are the least expensive and the most expensive and when the going gets tough I show these and try to get them talking about their situation.

Thanks for the help. thmbp2; - by Thomas
"GREAT IDEA MR. CUSTOMER!! I have over 900 units on the lot at the moment, is there particular features or options that your intrested in or would you like to see them all?"
We are on the same wavelength. Thanks for the help JR! thmbp2; - by Thomas
We don't know what we're going to do yet. We just want to get a feel for what's out there.
"I completely understand Mr. and Mrs. Customer, in fact most of my customers didn't know what they're going to do when we first talked, that's why I need to know at what point next year you MIGHT be considering moving to a new property."

[basically, re-ask the question you already asked]

The point is to turn the conversation back to probes so you can figure out what's going on. On occasion, you'll find someone who won't or can't warm up to you (the better the salesperson's engagement skills, the less this is an issue. When this happens, you now need to find a new way to find out what's going on, perhaps including confronting the prospect about their seeming lack of willingness to communicate with you, but these prospects should be far and few between. If they aren't far and few between, then you've got to figure out why that is, and address those issues. It could mean your lead generating process isn't doing the job it needs to or some other issue that needs attention.. - by Skip Anderson
In brevity I would like to make a general statement which is in tandem with what Skip has brought forward in reference to customers not warming up to a salesperson.

There are a lot of customers out there that are reluctant to engage a salesperson for one simple reason. They are afraid of you. When they see you they immediately shutter & say to themselves, oh no ……….here he comes.

I would have to venture to say that at one point or another, these prospects have been treated poorly by a sales rep. Either they weren’t greeted properly, qualified properly, closed properly, or were shown a widget they didn’t like & the sales person tried high pressure sales strategies that just plain left a negative impression on this potential prospect.

For whatever reason, we have some clients that we need to exhibit a little bit more patience with. As professional sales consultants / representatives we have to recognize this simple fact exists & be prepared to overcome - by DIAMONDSTAR
In brevity I would like to make a general statement which is in tandem with what Skip has brought forward in reference to customers not warming up to a salesperson.

There are a lot of customers out there that are reluctant to engage a salesperson for one simple reason. They are afraid of you. When they see you they immediately shutter & say to themselves, oh no ……….here he comes.

I would have to venture to say that at one point or another, these prospects have been treated poorly by a sales rep. Either they weren’t greeted properly, qualified properly, closed properly, or were shown a widget they didn’t like & the sales person tried high pressure sales strategies that just plain left a negative impression on this potential prospect.

For whatever reason, we have some clients that we need to exhibit a little bit more patience with. As professional sales consultants / representatives we have to recognize this simple fact exists & be prepared to overcome
I thought that as floor types, we're taught to approach and say, Hello, my name is Tom and I'm available to assist you should you have any questions.

If you are just looking around is there anything specific that I can point you towards. Please enjoy your experience here, my name is Tom and I'd be honored if you'd accept my card should you require any assistance.

Much Aloha,

Tom :cool: - by rattus58
I like the statements Ace made. Mine is similar I ask would you like to know why more people use me for ------- whatever the item is.Informs the client I am an expert with this product or situation . I then ask questions after the response to gather more information on what they are in search of. - by rich34232
I thought that as floor types, we're taught to approach and say, Hello, my name is Tom and I'm available to assist you should you have any questions.

If you are just looking around is there anything specific that I can point you towards. Please enjoy your experience here, my name is Tom and I'd be honored if you'd accept my card should you require any assistance.

Much Aloha,

Tom :cool:
Certainly we are. Welcome to ( insert your business here), we have some great ( insert your product(s) here), my name is (insert name here), if I can be of assistance I am here to help. Let them go, when they stop somewhere along their journey of discovery and show some interest in your product, and re-engage.

Though following the course of this thread & this particular sales circumstance I am not sure how to structure an applicable floor strategy. - by DIAMONDSTAR
Hi DS... :)

I'm with you on this... We don't get much "floor" time but we do put in an awful lot of time "streetwalking" ... shds;

Aloha... :cool: - by rattus58
I get people who tell me straight up that they are not buying they are just looking but they still want me to show them what I have. I see that as being disrespectful of me and my time. - by Thomas
I get people who tell me straight up that they are not buying they are just looking but they still want me to show them what I have. I see that as being disrespectful of me and my time.
My strategy might be different from others, but I wouldn’t allow anybody treat me as a tour guide.
Maybe you need to start these people off with a questionnaire. Ask them questions related to their buying decisions then sit them down, review their questionnaire & consult with them. If they refuse to do a simple questionnaire get rid of them.
You are there to make good buy’s. Either they are there to make a good buy, or they are not, then it is good by.
You have to tell yourself who is more important, the unqualified tire kicker that is wasting your time, or the qualified buyer you just missed because you are wasting your time with the aforementioned.
You also have to bear in mind when people walk in to your office & see that you aren’t busy they then have an immediate sense that you aren’t doing anything, look busy do some paperwork relevant our not.
When people say “were just looking”, well “were just selling”, ;sm pass them their questionnaire.

j.p.o - by DIAMONDSTAR
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.