Home > Presentation > How should I present the offer after 3 minutes of good conversation?

How should I present the offer after 3 minutes of good conversation?

Hi all :)

I have had a few calls where I got to ask questions and stuff like that. But after a few minutes of positive conversation, I find it kind of awkward to then proceed to presenting the offer.

It may be because of my feelings that people change their attitude once the offer is presented, but they do sound like they get kind of offended by it.

How do I manage a call so people know my intentions (having an offer for them) from the beginning, and at the same time get into some good conversation with them?

Any advice is appreciated :)

Take care,
Louise

PS: by the way... it seems like I'm gonna start lots of new, hopefully good, threads here... is that OK, or is there a limit? - by cleocatra999
It's very simple. Switch to the purpose of your call while you are speaking---NEVER in response, or as an interruption, to something the prospect is saying.

A great transition phrase is "I WANT TO TELL YOU...".

Many salespeople say "Let me tell you..." I suggest never using that. It's transparent and dilutes the pleasantry of the rapport you have established. "I want to tell you.." is enthusiastic and extends the pleasantry of the rapport.

Here is a sample:

"Yes, a few more days like this and we can all get our summer clothes out...NO PAUSE....I WANT to tell you WHY I've called... (Then begin your offer and/or prospecting presentation.)

Hope that helps. - by Ace Coldiron
It's very simple. Switch to the purpose of your call while you are speaking---NEVER in response, or as an interruption, to something the prospect is saying.

A great transition phrase is "I WANT TO TELL YOU...".

Many salespeople say "Let me tell you..." I suggest never using that. It's transparent and dilutes the pleasantry of the rapport you have established. "I want to tell you.." is enthusiastic and extends the pleasantry of the rapport.

Here is a sample:

"Yes, a few more days like this and we can all get our summer clothes out...NO PAUSE....I WANT to tell you WHY I've called... (Then begin your offer and/or prospecting presentation.)

Hope that helps.
Excellent Ace. And it points out that salespeople shouldn't be afraid of selling; one just has to do it (and even more than having to do it, one needs to WANT to do it!). - by Skip Anderson
Hi to both of you :)

Thank you very much for the advice Ace, it does make sense to use "want".

If it's possible, I would like a few more examples. Also how to take it from there is the customer displays resistance, or disinterest in any way.

But I'll try to write some example scripts on how to implement "want to tell..." so I can get the hang of it :)

Skip, yes you are right. Wanting to sell is important. I'm still in the beginning phase, where I still struggle to get over myself, but all the support from you guys sure does help a lot :)

Take care,
Louise - by cleocatra999
Do any of you use the word share... such as ...

""Yes, a few more days like this and we can all get our summer clothes out...NO PAUSE....By the way, may I share with you WHY I've called... (Then begin your offer and/or prospecting presentation.)

Aloha... :cool: - by rattus58
Do any of you use the word share... such as ...

""Yes, a few more days like this and we can all get our summer clothes out...NO PAUSE....By the way, may I share with you WHY I've called... (Then begin your offer and/or prospecting presentation.)

Aloha... :cool:
I like "share" and I often use it in sales conversations. I think your suggestion above is good, but slightly less strong than what I suggested, perhaps because "By the way.." is an opening that usually is used to reflect on a previous statement or an obvious clue that you want to change the subject. Subtle I know. You might get an comment that "may I share...?" is an open ended question, but I think it is pleasant and works well. That said, I think your approach is BOTH pleasant and very professional. - by Ace Coldiron
Thanks Rattus for the suggestion :)

So many nice possibilities... *busy taking notes* :D

Take care
*Louise - by cleocatra999
I like "share" and I often use it in sales conversations. I think your suggestion above is good, but slightly less strong than what I suggested, perhaps because "By the way.." is an opening that usually is used to reflect on a previous statement or an obvious clue that you want to change the subject. Subtle I know. You might get an comment that "may I share...?" is an open ended question, but I think it is pleasant and works well. That said, I think your approach is BOTH pleasant and very professional.
Good point.... The client could say "Why Thomas no you can't" ..... ;bg

Here's a possible alternative ....

""Yes, a few more days like this and we can all get our summer clothes out...NO PAUSE.... and now I'd like to share with you WHY I've called... (Then begin your offer and/or prospecting presentation.)

Thanks.... :)

Aloha.... Tom... :cool: - by rattus58
Good point.... The client could say "Why Thomas no you can't" ..... ;bg

Here's a possible alternative ....

""Yes, a few more days like this and we can all get our summer clothes out...NO PAUSE.... and now I'd like to share with you WHY I've called... (Then begin your offer and/or prospecting presentation.)

Thanks.... :)

Aloha.... Tom... :cool:
Yes..better. Note the emphasis (accent) on WHY rather than CALLED. Emphasizing CALLED would have a mundane effect.

Little touches--finesses for *Louise to pick up on. Start learning the good stuff early, Louise, so you won't have to go through the UNLEARNING process. (There's one for Gold Caling to hang on his wall!) - by Ace Coldiron
LOUISE???? Heck, I'm getting good ideas to pick up on..... :) thmbp2;

Aloha... Tom :cool: - by rattus58
Hi to both of you :)

Thank you very much for the advice Ace, it does make sense to use "want".

If it's possible, I would like a few more examples. Also how to take it from there is the customer displays resistance, or disinterest in any way.

But I'll try to write some example scripts on how to implement "want to tell..." so I can get the hang of it :)

Skip, yes you are right. Wanting to sell is important. I'm still in the beginning phase, where I still struggle to get over myself, but all the support from you guys sure does help a lot :)

Take care,
Louise
Louise

How are you introducing yourself? If you are shaking their hand and introducing yourself in a professional way then they already expect you are there to sell them something. Just relax, be yourself and treat them the same way you would want to be treated in that situation. Talk to them the same way you would a friend and you can transition into the presentation easier.

When you make a cold call are you trying to get an appointment or are you trying to make the sale on the first call? If possible only use the cold call to sale an appointment so that when you go back they know why you are there and you have their permission to give your presentation. That takes a lot of pressure off.

Warmest Regards - by MPrince
Thank you to all of your for your great suggestions :)

When you make a cold call are you trying to get an appointment or are you trying to make the sale on the first call? If possible only use the cold call to sale an appointment so that when you go back they know why you are there and you have their permission to give your presentation. That takes a lot of pressure off.
Instead of meeting (which I can't arrange with what I'm currently doing) I should ask them to let me send them additional info... or not?
The point in the job ads and seo was to sell by phone only (I replied to you in my other thread explaining it more thoroughly) so it's kind of either or. Plus I can't really make any follow up calls once they have declined.

But your ideas seem great :) I'm gonna try it out as soon as possible, which will hopefully be tomorrow :)

Take care,
*Louise - by cleocatra999
Louise

I answered this post before I read your others so I didn't have a good understanding of your sales process when I wrote this one.

Warmest Regards - by MPrince
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.