Home > Management > Sales Aptitude Profiling?

Sales Aptitude Profiling?

What would be your general consensus on establishing an interogatory questionairre for new sales applicants, (In my case, for residential roofing and siding sales), to weed out the potential crop of overly self promoted fluff that applies for the position?

Are there some good quality outsourcing services available to provide this type of testing?

Or, should a wheel be invented for each type of business and the types of sales calls that that firm does on a regular basis?

Ed - by Ed The Roofer
Ed,

There are better ways to separate the fluff from the productive without resorting to interrogative interviewing techniques.

First, you need to determine the type of sales person you are looking for. Is it a hunter? If so, look for people who have proven experience generating new business.

Second, ask tough questions about the candidate's previous performance. Ask them specifics about the results they achieved and how they achieved those results.

Third, use some type of assessment tool. If you use the right assessment, you can determine if a candidate has the right temperament for sales and if they are suitable for your particular sales environment. I use SalesForceAssessments.com when administering sales assessments for my clients. They are reasonably priced and offer a great product.

I trust this helps.

Kelley - by Kelley Robertson
Kelley offers some excellent suggestions.

But I have just one alternative point-of-view: when possible, hire expertise over experience. The world is full of experienced mediocrity.;wi - by Skip Anderson
What would be your general consensus on establishing an interogatory questionairre for new sales applicants, (In my case, for residential roofing and siding sales), to weed out the potential crop of overly self promoted fluff that applies for the position?

Are there some good quality outsourcing services available to provide this type of testing?

Or, should a wheel be invented for each type of business and the types of sales calls that that firm does on a regular basis?

Ed
It has never been more important than today to use a sales aptitude assessment tool. With so many more people looking for work, people will say 'anything' to get a job. Add to the situation that employers who laid off people don't want to say anything negative when asked about a previous employer.

What is necessary beyond just the assessment tool, is having someone to help you understand the results and how it impacts the business situation you are in. Just using an online assessment process without having someone to review it with you, isn't necessarily the full value that you want, either.

We do sales aptitude assessments for all of our clients to understand how to structure our training format so that we maximize the results of training for the company.

Some companies use our sales assessment process, because of the consultative understanding we provide to management. - by Paulette Halpern
Ed,

I recommend a process called "performance-based recruiting" that I was first introduced to via Lou Adler's book, Hire With Your Head.

In performance-based recruiting all of your communications with potential job candidates (beginning with your recruiting ad and extending through any telephone and in-person interviews) are focused on specific capabilities required to succeed in your sales position. The process I teach also includes the use of specialized sales assessment tests as a means of gathering truly objective information about the talents an individual brings to the table.

I hope this information is helpful to you!

Sincerely,

Alan - by Alan Rigg
So then, I do see the benefit of tis profiling, which should clearly knock out 4 out of 5 seemingly qualified, but not necessarily so, prospective sales employees.

What would the range of fees be for these tests and are there a minimum, quantity required to be purchased and implemented?

I run a very small/medium sized roofing contracting as my primary business with a small degree of replacement vinyl siding added in, plus many seamless aluminum gutter jobs to go along with the roofing work performed.

So, my success with hiring has been very up and down. The couple of good ones had serious character flaws and sold some of my leads as side jobs. Would this type of testing be able to determine with some degree of accuracy, the honesty or integrity of a prospective sales representative?

I appreciate the link and will take a comprehensive look at it later this evening when I am at my office.

Ed - by Ed The Roofer
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.