Home > Personal Selling > Make More Money By Not Answering Your Phone

Make More Money By Not Answering Your Phone

If you answer your cell phone anytime a prospect calls, unless you work in an office taking prospect calls, then you will be caught off guard compared to if you are the one who initiates the call. Besides that, if you do answer your cell phone during work hours you might be preoccupied with something else or worse in a negative state of mind which could end up being a disaster. Not to mention if you don't have a pen and paper around to capture contact information. Instead, don't answer.

What do you think about this? - by Thomas
A sales consultant without pen and paper?! Those don't exist do they? Or atleast they shouldn't. - by jrboyd
A sales consultant without pen and paper?! Those don't exist do they? Or atleast they shouldn't.
It happens. ;sm

Also, if you don't answer your phone record a great message that encourages the caller to leave a message or hire someone to take the calls for you. - by Thomas
Love the approach and use it daily. It works well when your voicemail message adds to the sales process. The strategy gives you time to be better prepared when you return their call. Also, it lets them know you are a busy person and have more than 1 customer. - by jdedwa11
If I have a prospect in front of me that is viable, I would let the phone ring a few times & then put them into voice mail. A proper voice mail is a must.

If I have a prospect in front of me that isn't viable & I want to "move on", I would polity explain to the client that I need to answer the phone, take the call, engage the new prospect & politely ask for a close from the less viable prospect, & move on.

If my wife calls me during an appointment, I do the aforementioned & explain to her how happy I am that she called & I am glad to hear how happy she is with her new widget.

j.p.o - by DIAMONDSTAR
Dont use mobile/cell phones for business............

Give office number only, the call is taken by reception, my mobile is called, the caller information relayed then the call is transferred.

After hours, an answereing service answers and the same is done.

Mobiles take your time, money and energy.......... my humble opinion - by PiJiL
Dont use mobile/cell phones for business............

Give office number only, the call is taken by reception, my mobile is called, the caller information relayed then the call is transferred.

After hours, an answereing service answers and the same is done.

Mobiles take your time, money and energy.......... my humble opinion
I agree with all of this. thmbp2; - by Thomas
I never take my cell phone with me when I am with a client. Answering the phone while with a client is rude and shows a lack of interest with the client.

However when I am not with a client I will always accept a call from other clients. The only way to receive my cell number was for me to give it to them this is part of my value that my client can reach me directly.

How can your client catch you off guard? What, you mean all the information was not given properly? They may have a question or concern that must be answered now? They may want to place an order now that I have quoted? Heaven forbid they have a problem that must be answered now. Maybe even place a thank you for helping us out. When possible answer the phone otherwise throw the phone out the car window it is unimportant. - by rich34232
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.