Home > Personal Selling > Selling in a Recession - Survival Tips and Mistakes to Avoid

Selling in a Recession - Survival Tips and Mistakes to Avoid

What are your best survival tips for selling in a recession and what mistakes should be avoided? - by Thomas
Keep prospecting...... remember to call your clients for referrals and introductions and don't stop cold calling either. Find networking groups that make sense for you to attend. - by Paulette Halpern
What are your best survival tips for selling in a recession and what mistakes should be avoided?
TIPS ON HOW TO SELL IN A ROUGH ECONOMY

Here is what I am seeing out in the market place and some ideas on how to deal with the current economic situation. These tips are really for Salespeople who are selling a service and /or a product in a business to business environment.

What You Are Seeing:

1. Delayed closings
2. Getting less appointments
3. Companies are spending less money
4. Clients going away

Customer Objections:

1. Spending freezes
2. Putting things on hold
3. Layoffs
4. Cutting back

The Reality-Opportunity is Still Alive and Well:

1. There are really no spending freezes if something is seen as a critical "need"
2. There is still plenty of business being conducted today
3. People are just scared
4. Some people are just taking advantage
5. People are still greedy
6. Entrepreneurs are still Risk Takers
7. People still want to believe
8. This is the 3rd recession since 1987 predicting gloom and doom
9. This could be the worst one yet
10. Some businesses boom in a recession
11. Hidden weaknesses of your selling process and salespeople gets exposed
12. People actually want the help
13. People will always complain “until you’re the guy with the solution”

The Winning Strategy:

1. You should be more focused on who you should sell to
2. Aim bigger, not smaller
3. Aim higher, not lower
4. Make fewer appointments
5. Empathize with issues – not excuses
6. Develop bigger goals
7. Smaller window-not bigger

The Strategic Tactics:

1. Nail your 30 second positioning statement that can create a need to "hear you out"
2. Give at least two examples in your positioning statement that can relate to your audience
3. Be more selective – not less in who you go after and "opportunities" you chase
4. Be more focused on your service and/or product – do not generalize
5. Sell to the right person – CEO or President
6. Book your appointment – Accept no put-off’s
7. Book only three new appointments per week
8. To get 3 appointments means 6 conversations per day/30 calls per week
9. That means 24 Dials a day
10. That equates to 78 minutes per day on the phone

Executing the Tactics:

1. Book the appointment
2. Hold your ground
3. Create urgency – can’t afford to put it off
4. Create an Economic Stimulus

A wise person once said "If it is to be its up to me".

I hope this message helps everyone to get on point and do well. - by Guest123
Paulette said it.

Prospect, prospect and then prospect some more. Past clients and customers are the best place to start.

One addition, now is a great time to master the sales process. - by Jim Klein
OK,its not said best- Prospect yes but how best to do that is really what becomes important and helpful.

How do you find a good prospect

What do you say to capture attention?

Prodpecting more is not the answer. Its knowing how to prospect so you can quallify better and get the opportunity to actuall sell and get to a PO.

So prospet, prospect, prospect is not the answer, its part of the answer. THe how to do this is the second and critical part of the answer. - by Guest123
OK,its not said best- Prospect yes but how best to do that is really what becomes important and helpful.

How do you find a good prospect

What do you say to capture attention?

Prodpecting more is not the answer. Its knowing how to prospect so you can quallify better and get the opportunity to actuall sell and get to a PO.

So prospet, prospect, prospect is not the answer, its part of the answer. THe how to do this is the second and critical part of the answer.
I see your point with this. Prospecting is part of the answer, and how to is the second part. Best way to prospect? Ask previous clients for referrals. Studies show that people generally keep people as friends that are similiar to themselves. It's gone as far as comparing credit scores and such. It's shown that 80% of peoples friends are very similiar in not only the wants and needs but also credit scores, personalities and etc. On top of that, its alot easier for you to sell a previoius client's friend than a for you to sell a stranger. Why? Because you already have a great way to build rapport with them! And you can use examples on why is friend thought it was a good idea and etc... - by jrboyd
What are your best survival tips for selling in a recession and what mistakes should be avoided?
I am in television advertising sales which is one of the first things to go in an economic downturn. This is a time that you "must" educate your clients. You keep them filled with the knowledge that now is the best possible time to capture the market. Their competitors are cutting back and loosing name recognition so reach out and grab it now. That puts them in the perfect position to not only get the business now but be positioned to truly expand when the economy starts to come around.

The most important tip I can give to any sales person is call, call, call. Go back to the basics and hit the streets. When I see my sales funnel getting empty I get a hand full of business cards and start making face to face cold calls. My goal is;

10 face to face cold calls daily
10 phone cold calls daily

Trust me if you do this for a few days you will be so busy you will not have time to worry about a recession.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Warmest Regards - by MPrince
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.