Home > Consumer Behavior > What to do with prospects in the early phase of the buying cycle.

What to do with prospects in the early phase of the buying cycle.

Here is a common scenario I see. A couple is here on vacation and staying in the community in either a rental or an RV they own. They have decided they like the area enough to keep coming back but don't know if they want to buy or keep doing what they are doing. The community has a sales office so it's natural for them to start out by wanting to look at what's for sale. This has been one of my greatest challenges because these people aren't ready to buy yet. They are in the exploration phase and are trying to find out what ALL of their options are before they make a decision on what to do. Because they are just starting to consider the idea and learning about the different options I could show them the best deal that ever came down the pike and they probably wouldn't jump on it. Of course, they want me to show them everything that is available; big, small, new, old... it doesn't matter because they are just trying to get a feel for what is available. They are doing their research.

If you were in my shoes what would you do with prospects in the early phase of the buying cycle? What can a salesperson do to sell people in the early phase of the buying cycle? - by Thomas
The main obstacle to overcome in this scenerio would be the consumer's fear of getting a bad deal. They are afraid to jump into something, only to find out later on that they could have gotten a better deal. That's the entire purpose of the buying cycle. In sitituations like that, what the sales consultant can do is dependant on the consumer they have in front of them. This is where your investigation phase is EXTREMELY important. Probe your customer and try to get a feel for them. To be honest, some customer's will tell you, that they have just started looking, and aren't ready to buy just because they don't want to be pressured into anything. 90% of the customers I sell here at the dealership, will tell me before they drive off in their new car, "You know John, I promised myself I wouldn't buy today." So some customers may use this as a way to keep the salesperson from being to pushy or aggressive. In most circumstances like this there really is only one thing you can do. Exceed their every expectations from a sales consultant. Set yourself above the rest of the sales people. If you treat them right, they will eventually buy from you. Also, don't forget about the referrals they can send your way. They may only be at the beginning of the buying process, but they have friends that may already more committed to buying. We have a similar group of people down here, called winter Texans. They come down here for 4-6 months of the year to live. Trust me, if you treat one right, you get about 3-5 referrals from them. - by jrboyd
Thanks JR. That makes sense to me. Is that or is there a standard procedure in sales for how to work with prospects who are still in the early stages of the buying cycle? - by Thomas
Thomas,

I have been reading and responding to your posts for quite some time. I think it's great that you are eager to learn about how to sell properly. However, a few things jump out at me over and over so I'd like to ask you some questions:

1. Have you ever had any formal training?
2. Have you ever taken the time to define your ideal client?
3. Have you set clearly defined written goals and clearly stated your purpose in achieving those goals?
4. Have you invested your time and resources in sales and marketing training?

If the answer to any of these questions is no, that would be a great place to start in order to become the truly great sales person I suspect you want to be. - by Jim Klein
Thomas
I'd nurture these 'early cycle buyers'.
If they don't buy now, don't give up on them, they'll buy some day! You want to be the person they come to when they're ready. - by marky
If you were in my shoes what would you do with prospects in the early phase of the buying cycle? What can a salesperson do to sell people in the early phase of the buying cycle?
You may need to set the scene or tone of the showing.

A well qualified client will b much closer to a decision thmbp2; - by PiJiL
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.