Home > Education > University level sales education programs

University level sales education programs

Relatively few universities in the US have established formal sales programs. Does that seem odd considering that sales is the driving force of the US economy? - by Community Mailbox
Many Universities do however have many sales related majors, such as marketing, communications, and sociology. Others carry courses for Insurance at the very least that I'm aware of, and I'm sure there are many other's too.

Aloha... shds; - by rattus58
Ironically, with the need for selling in every business, there are fewer than a few dozen of the more than four thousand colleges and universities in the United States with an established, formal sales program. In the United States, there exist only 14 Universities with Professional Selling Programs. Of the 1.2 million sales positions available in US-based business, research illustrates that up to 92% of sales employees have no formal selling education. - by Drew Stevens
It is most definitely odd that more universities don't teach sales as a curriculum. I remember when I was in college from 1977 - 1981 (back when dinosaurs roamed the earth) that the core curriculum at the business school was focused on Marketing, Production and Finance. As far as I remember the Marketing classes never even mentioned the word "sales," much less taught how to do it. - by Alan Rigg
It is my opinion that general sales education on personal selling can be covered in a just a few classes and that Industry specific training is best handled outside of the classroom.

It is also my opinion that Marketing is the large net and personal selling is the small net. In the large see of buyers which would you rather be fishing with? - by Houston
Yes, you can expose students to general sales concepts in a few classes, but you certainly can't teach them how to sell in just a few classes. Learning the skills required to sell effectively requires significant repetition, reinforcement, and lots of role playing.

My opinion is that salespeople don't need a lot of industry-specific knowledge in order to be able to find and qualify opportunities and move opportunities through the sales cycle. Most companies have ample expert resources that salespeople can leverage for any required detailed, industry-specific knowledge.

Given that so many students end up working in sales jobs, I think it would be beneficial for universities to arm them with some knowledge that could actually help them succeed in the workplace.

I won't delve further into Marketing because, in my opinion, it (and the interactions between Marketing and Sales) cannot be adequately addressed in this kind of forum. - by Alan Rigg
I will take the street smarts (on the job training and practice) over Book smarts any day. Theory vs Application and application wins every time. - by jrboyd
I will take the street smarts (on the job training and practice) over Book smarts any day. Theory vs Application and application wins every time.
That's a populist statement, JR, and I'm not implying you don't mean it.

"Street smarts" is a term easily understood in conversations like this. I have street smarts, too. BUT you can't just lump study of others' material into something called "Book Smarts". It is not so simple as just comparing Theory and Application. I'm book smart. But I have a built in discerning mechanism that protects me from believing everything I read. That same discerning mechanism also guides me from drawing wrong assumptions "on the street".

Much knowledge comes from within. The street and the books are catalysts. - by Ace Coldiron
I am an alumni from the "School of Hard Knocks" I would recommend that school to anyone! - by MPrince
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.