Home > Personal Development > "Intermediacy is no road to Mastery" but....

"Intermediacy is no road to Mastery" but....

Another member said:
"Intermediacy is no road to Mastery" but mastery is not for everyone and does not have to be in order to have a successful career in sales. It's a fact of life."

I thought they would be great for discussion. I agreed with what he said, BTW.

Thoughts? - by Ace Coldiron
My opinion is that Mastery is a choice and is not required to be successful in sales. - by Houston
I strongly believe in that quote for a the simple reason that its hard to achieve complete mastery of the entire sales process. Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses. To say you can master every aspect of sales, would be you fooling yourself. I am a great closer for sales, but I know I need alot of help when it comes to phone ups. I am highly successful in my industry, yet I would not consider myself as mastering the sales process. - by jrboyd
If intermediacy is a stage, then the statement by itself is flawed. In the old days, there were many who didn't pass 6th, 7th, or even 8th grade, like my dad, who was an immigrant to America. These were "intermediate" school grades, and many of these folks went on to be highly successful business people.

I completely agree that to be successful in sales that you have to be successful in sales, and that could be because of enthusiasm and visibility, and have nothing to do with manipulation, recognition, or mastery.

Many salespeople don't speak good english, nor do many athletes, yet they make a fair living, most would say. I think intuition is an ingredient in sales too. I started my sales career selling womens shoes, a frustrating endeavor with moments of real reward, but I did learn one thing, numbers means things.

I went on to become an insurance salesman, following in the footsteps of a filipino minister, who preached life insurance amongst other things, numbers mean things.

Many sales I see daily are a result of positioning, as is the lemonade stand, the fish stand, the roadside vegetable stand, and the door to door sales guy of portuguese sweet bread. Just showing up, sometimes makes the sale, and has more to do with the sale than what I understand, and that would be ME, to be the stage of mastery.

Pharmaceutical Sales provide riches to the sales people, some of whom are my clients too, and numbers mean things. Warehouse sales of wholesale items are a manner of stocking and positioning, and these salesman and beer salesmen hardly say a word... and make handsome incomes. Snap On tools makes fortunes for their sales force by being there... so I'm not really sure what we're measuring... mastery of your time and preparation might be the most important for many sales.

Aloha... tom :cool: - by rattus58
I strongly believe in that quote for a the simple reason that its hard to achieve complete mastery of the entire sales process. Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses. To say you can master every aspect of sales, would be you fooling yourself. I am a great closer for sales, but I know I need alot of help when it comes to phone ups. I am highly successful in my industry, yet I would not consider myself as mastering the sales process.
JR, if we use the word "mastery" as it has been used in other models, comprehensive mastery is not a prerequisite. Think martial arts, fine arts, etc. One can master auto sales, financial sales, etc etc. I could teach a mastery curriculum on the sales interview/conversation area of selling, and teach it at a very high level for effectiveness. I would be hard pressed to even begin teaching account management selling, and other things. But, JR, we all have the opportunity to master what we are drawn to and brings us joy--if we choose to. - by Ace Coldiron
If intermediacy is a stage, then the statement by itself is flawed. In the old days, there were many who didn't pass 6th, 7th, or even 8th grade, like my dad, who was an immigrant to America. These were "intermediate" school grades, and many of these folks went on to be highly successful business people.

I completely agree that to be successful in sales that you have to be successful in sales, and that could be because of enthusiasm and visibility, and have nothing to do with manipulation, recognition, or mastery.

Many salespeople don't speak good english, nor do many athletes, yet they make a fair living, most would say. I think intuition is an ingredient in sales too. I started my sales career selling womens shoes, a frustrating endeavor with moments of real reward, but I did learn one thing, numbers means things.

I went on to become an insurance salesman, following in the footsteps of a filipino minister, who preached life insurance amongst other things, numbers mean things.

Many sales I see daily are a result of positioning, as is the lemonade stand, the fish stand, the roadside vegetable stand, and the door to door sales guy of portuguese sweet bread. Just showing up, sometimes makes the sale, and has more to do with the sale than what I understand, and that would be ME, to be the stage of mastery.

Pharmaceutical Sales provide riches to the sales people, some of whom are my clients too, and numbers mean things. Warehouse sales of wholesale items are a manner of stocking and positioning, and these salesman and beer salesmen hardly say a word... and make handsome incomes. Snap On tools makes fortunes for their sales force by being there... so I'm not really sure what we're measuring... mastery of your time and preparation might be the most important for many sales.

Aloha... tom :cool:
ALL very good and insightful points, much of which I can relate to personally. - by Ace Coldiron
Whew, this thread is going fast. I'll try to keep up with posting but it's a busy morning here at the office.

What’s my point: By “a fact of life” I mean, if one doesn’t realize that ‘mastery is not for everyone,’ as a sales manager you will suffer greatly when managing a real life sales team. As a salesman you will suffer stress and possibly self-esteem, let alone production etc.

After a few years as a Sales Manager one may come to the realization that everyone is working for different reasons. These reasons may be some of the following; pay bills and debts, cars, toys, vacations, weddings, houses, affection, retirement, freedom, recognition, fear, personal growth etc.

Salesmen who are not ‘currently’ striving to become experts let alone mastering the discipline, may have prioritized other parts of their lives for the time being. This does not preclude them from reaching for it at a later date as it does not guarantee they will ever chase skills to the point of mastery.

These people make up the majority of most teams at one point or another and contribute greatly to the overall performance of a well rounded team. Individually or as a group they can offer balance and perspective to the driven workaholic or narcissistic obsessions that come with some of the type-A superstars of whom they choose not to emulate. In turn they can choose to influence the bottom 20 percent positively or negatively.

A good manager understands the strength in such dynamics and diversity. They work to guide the direction and raise the median tide levels of motivation and skill to deliver consistent manageable results. It is this way a leader’s ‘mastery’ is used to influence while navigating through the intermediacy.

Sorry for getting too deep or wordy. ;sm - by Tony_B
My opinion is that Mastery is a choice and is not required to be successful in sales.
In which case we would have to redefine the term success, at least from my point of view. - by Gold Calling
Sales success I'm sure means different things to different people. Success to some means making a living, as was pointed out earlier either here or in another thread.

Sales success probably has "life" success bundled with it for those of us for whom sales is our life and our livelihood. For many, the reward is the commission. Some sell for the sale, like me. The acquiring of an accoun or a client to me is my measure of success. How clean the transaction goes (preparation) is a measure of success for me as well. How well did I manage the approach, the exploration, identification, recommendations and agreement. Did I make the sale without mishap? How well did I recover from the mishap, well successfully obviously if I have the account... but was the overall experience a success... if not, how well did I follow through with the critique? Did I tape the presentation.. how did that go?

Money is a measure. Happiness is a condition. I strive to be happy, as a measure of success. My sales make me happy... or not... but since I'm still doin it, I must be happy, and bein happy is my measure of success... the condition of my condition.

Aloha.... :cool: - by rattus58
This relys on who and what sets the standards. My point often times the company has a much lower standard than I set for myself. My goals are higher than the company.

I set the standard for myself. Therefore I also set the standard to master my sales process.A two thousand dollar sale from a home owner that needed a toilet repair can become equal to that of a twenty thousand dollar sale with b2b.

Whoose standard do we go by?Someone who sells high dollar technology or those who chose to sell to homeowners? I tend to think the standard is set due to the dollars of a selling situation and it should not be set that way. It is relative.

I am not in awe of someone who just sold fifty grand worth of copy machines to a company. I am in awe of someone who goes into a home owners home for a fifty cent flapper and comes out with two grand worth of other repairs. I am in awe as home owners are spending their money not a corporations money.

I am not sure what mastery of the sales process is.There are so many ways to earn the masters degree in a sales process.Who gives out this degree? I think we are sending this into who has the greater vocabulary and can impress with words.This does not define the mastery of the sales process.The mastery is what you do with your clients the final result.Was it a successful relationship that guarantees return repeat business for many years or can we lose it to the next cheaper sales professional.

The final point it is in the eye of the beholder. - by rich34232
Gain mastery over yourself - your thinking, your emotions, your habitual way of approaching the world that is unknown to the decisons you make and reactions you experience. Gain mastery over your weaknesses and strengths and allow them to work for you rather than against you.

Mastery in sales success begins with self mastery and the ability to experience it in the moment of a sales presentaion - we call that having a relatioship.

Mastery is not perfection and imperfection can be evidence of exquisit mastery. So can excellence be evidence of exquisit mastery of self and the selling situation. That also includes not making a sale which is sometimes evidence of the greatest mastery of all.

The best of success to everyone.

MitchM - by MitchM
Amen brother Mitch. - by Tony_B
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.