Home > Cold Calling > Criticize my D2D approach!

Criticize my D2D approach!

Hey this is my first actual post, I thought getting some criticizim would be the best way to start posting here. I sell home alarms door to door. This is my approach to people who do not currently use their alarms(I can tell who does and doesnt), or dont have an alarm in their home. I think this approach gets emotion involved but not enough, thats what I definitiely need to sell these things. I also need to show the customer as to why they can't afford to not have it. Anyways here it is.....

I know you're busy, but before you slam the door in my face, I just want to tell you the two most important things I have to say...I am here to protect your biggest investment and the people you love. Do you have a moment to talk? (yes)

Are you the homeowner here? (yes)

Iím out here because the crime in the area has been increasing. You know, despite people having guns and dogs and being home all the time, because 20 percent of the burglaries happen while people are home, they are still having their private space violated.

Are you aware that criminals are scoping out neighborhoods, and there are hundreds of burglaries happening everyday in Tarrant County? (yes)

Wouldnít you agree that if a criminal decided to scope out your neighborhood that this could happen to you? (yes) *right here I may hand them a crime report of recent burglaries in their neighborhood, and tell them a little bit about it*

I donít want you to have to spend the thousand dollar deductible on your homeowners insurance when someone breaks into your home, or imagine you or one of your loved ones walking in on a criminal. Who do you use for your home telephone service? (//////) What is more important to you a police, fire or medical emergency?

-Telephone service lets me know what I can offer, and the rest lets me know what there hot button is.- - by TLP0357
This approach is a bit heavy handed in my opinion. Never like to scare a customer into action. It does work in some instances but instead of showing the strengths of your product your just focusing on how horrible the world is. You have skipped a couple parts of the sales process that are greatly needed. Most importantly the Introduction and Fact finding.
Try something along the lines of:

"Good morning/afternoon/evening! My name is ______________ with XYZ company, and I am in the area today, because I believe I can help you improve the safety of your home and family. I do know that in these troubled times, with home burglaries on the rise, that alot of people have been worried about how to keep their family and home safe. It's really hot out here, and I don't want you to waste all your A/C, mind if I stand right there? (As you say this wipe your feet, point to area inside real close to the door and just look at it. Assumption Close)

Thank you so much. Before we get started, could I trouble you for a glass of water? (Two things people won't deny someone 90% of the time is water and salt. By getting a glass of water, subconciously, you have become a guest in their house and not a sales person, so they will be more receptive to what you have to say)

Now my company has a couple different strategies, designed to help you as a home owner. Let me explain the different ones, so we can see which one best fits your needs."

Rough Script, but you get the idea. Not trying to Shock and Awe so much. - by jrboyd
JR, your post is surprising considering you usually post from your own experience which is retail car sales. Where did you draw that from? The member is talking about door to door sales which is a lost art, but an art nonetheless.

NOW--to TLP0357. First, you can't make a presentation at the door and be effective. What you CAN do is start a conversation led by a few questions, and with the OBJECTIVE of getting permission to talk to them about your service (be invited in).

TWO important tips! ALWAYS take a step BACK as the person opens the door---NO exceptions. NEVER step forward. AND--NEVER HAND THEM ANYTHING. No cards. No brochures. Regardless of what you have in your hand.

Conversation: Introduce yourself first and last name. Introduce the name of your company. Then, start with: I'm talking to homeowners about....." Describe your service in a way that describes an important FEATURE.

Then: "Are you the homeowner?"

Questions to lead: Have you considered...? Are you aware of.." "Could you give me a few minutes.."

What you say once you get invited in is a whole different topic.

With all respect to JR, I strongly suggest you do not ask for a glass of water at the door or at an early stage. - by Ace Coldiron
I actually started my sales in door to door Ace. Again I am aware I use more of an aggressive approach than most like, but its what works for my type of style. It's an aggressive approach, but I usually am able to get the customer relaxed within first couple minutes of conversation. - by jrboyd
I actually started my sales in door to door Ace. Again I am aware I use more of an aggressive approach than most like, but its what works for my type of style. It's an aggressive approach, but I usually am able to get the customer relaxed within first couple minutes of conversation.
As did I, JR.

The finesses I mentioned are critical. More now than ever before in that arena. - by Ace Coldiron
The only D2D I have ever done is Avon many years ago but is it feasible to cold call for appointments? That would make much more sense to me that way you have their permission to come back and seems things would be much more relaxed. - by MPrince
Well JR, I have done things like that before but do not feel comfortable. It is a good approach though just not my style

MPrince I see what you mean about setting an appointment. I have thought of that before, but I feel like they will tell me no or just wont answer. From my experience "go backs" tend to not work out.

Should I mention something in the begining that they dont have to pay anything for the equipment and installation? - by TLP0357
MPrince the reason i think they will say "no" is because generally they have to speak with their spouse about it, and they almost always say no. - by TLP0357
When it comes to D2D I have so little experience that I am afraid that my advice would not be what you need. I do like what Ace said and if anyone has the knowledge it would be him. As for asking for an appointment...it might be something you could try if they don't have time to see you at your cold call and always call and confirm before going. I appreciate the fact that you are not aggressive with the home owners.

Warmest Regards - by MPrince
MPrince the reason i think they will say "no" is because generally they have to speak with their spouse about it, and they almost always say no.
Don't they have to speak to the spouse before they buy? I can't imagine the sale taking place without both of them being there. - by MPrince
I think thats a good idea MPrince. I can start with my approach and get a little bit out. Start some conversation and show how it will really fit their needs, and see if i can do a demo, but if they say no...maybe ill just get a time to come back and have a phone number.

I really don't like being aggressive with the homeowners, it turns them off automatically, and i feel uncomfortable with myself too. - by TLP0357
yes, they do have to speak with their spouse, and i want them too, but the other person always just comes back with a "NO" without even letting me talk. I think it's all because I talked to their spouse by knocking on their door - by TLP0357
MPrince the reason i think they will say "no" is because generally they have to speak with their spouse about it, and they almost always say no.
yes, they do have to speak with their spouse, and i want them too, but the other person always just comes back with a "NO" without even letting me talk. I think it's all because I talked to their spouse by knocking on their door
Well, it would be worth a try. I think for my personality that would be the only way I could do it unless they asked me to come in now. Think of this, if you are feeling uncomfortable with your presentation the homeowner is feeling it as well. I think also if you show respect to the spouse you might find the spouse will be respectful back. Don't be afraid of a no. It is better to get it early on than to spend a lot of time and then get a no. If you get a no take it in stride and move on because your next one could just be the biggest sale you have ever made! - by MPrince
JR, your post is surprising considering you usually post from your own experience which is retail car sales. Where did you draw that from? The member is talking about door to door sales which is a lost art, but an art nonetheless.

NOW--to TLP0357. First, you can't make a presentation at the door and be effective. What you CAN do is start a conversation led by a few questions, and with the OBJECTIVE of getting permission to talk to them about your service (be invited in).

TWO important tips! ALWAYS take a step BACK as the person opens the door---NO exceptions. NEVER step forward. AND--NEVER HAND THEM ANYTHING. No cards. No brochures. Regardless of what you have in your hand.

Conversation: Introduce yourself first and last name. Introduce the name of your company. Then, start with: I'm talking to homeowners about....." Describe your service in a way that describes an important FEATURE.

Then: "Are you the homeowner?"

Questions to lead: Have you considered...? Are you aware of.." "Could you give me a few minutes.."

What you say once you get invited in is a whole different topic.

With all respect to JR, I strongly suggest you do not ask for a glass of water at the door or at an early stage.
I like the idea of stepping back never thought about that.

JRboyd pointed out to me that my questions are shock awe, and I see that now. I need to tone it down.

One thing I do wonder is where should I put away the three objections from earlier: dogs, guns, and people being home all the time. Shouldnt I do this before I ask a question?

Before I move on to questions that require them to converse with me, should I ask about 5 questions with easy answers or should I do more?

Thanks guysthmbp2; - by TLP0357
I like the idea of stepping back never thought about that.

JRboyd pointed out to me that my questions are shock awe, and I see that now. I need to tone it down.

One thing I do wonder is where should I put away the three objections from earlier: dogs, guns, and people being home all the time. Shouldnt I do this before I ask a question?

Before I move on to questions that require them to converse with me, should I ask about 5 questions with easy answers or should I do more?

Thanks guysthmbp2;
I would love to be able to help you here but I am afraid I don't know enough to make that call. Ace is the one I would listen to here. I do applaud you for your concern for your customers if you continue to care for them, be honest with them, listen to their concerns you will do just fine. - by MPrince
I would love to be able to help you here but I am afraid I don't know enough to make that call. Ace is the one I would listen to here. I do applaud you for your concern for your customers if you continue to care for them, be honest with them, listen to their concerns you will do just fine.
Thanks because what you suggested might turn out to be the best thing for me, you never know because to me sales is sales. Thanks for the applaud;sm , I get frustrated alot because some of the top salesman in our company out right lie. We have about 70 to 80 reps i would say in all three states. Sometimes it is real frustrating when you see lots of people buying from someone who is lieing about how their home is protected when its not. - by TLP0357
TL...it may take you a little longer because it would mean you would have to make another call but if it feels right to you then the customer picks up on that. If you are under pressure they feel it. TL, always be honest with your customer even if it hurts you. Because if that customer sees you have told the truth even though it could cost you the sale you have earned their trust. Ultimately, it is their trust you need for them to open their wallet. Know your product, be yourself and be honest. Let us know how we can help.

Warmest Regards - by MPrince
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.