Home > Referrals > How to get referrals.......from clients who dont buy

How to get referrals.......from clients who dont buy

There is real power in transferring credibility through a referral.....

The upside of this is less resistance, fewer objections and more sales..........

How do you ask for a referral from someone who did NOT do business with you?? - by PiJiL
I'm downloading account information right now for enrollments due in 45 minutes, but I wanted to comment on something I tell my son... the value of the referral is in proportion to the value of the account.

I believe this to be true. I haven't thought this out much, but if I get a referral from someone to whom I could not help (he had a preexisting condition, overweight, alcoholic, etc) or improve existing coverage, but he felt that the value of service would have benefited him and or he is coming to me for future purchase, that is one thing; but if I did a bad job on the sale and I bail with a "do you know anyone else whom I could talk to" sorta thing and he lists his (turns out) 5 competitors, worst enemies, motherinlaw... (ok kidding) I don't hold much stock in them at all.

These are much like a qualified or almost qualified lead and require further digging before the call. I doubt I'd ever mention the "referror" other than a passing "is your situation, job, etc.. much like joe referror?"

Aloha.... shds; - by rattus58
Ah yes, birds of a feather flock together, especially when it comes to referrals.

Here's a quickie to interject in a generic situation; (parentheses are options)

As you can see Mr Prospect we’ve developed some great systems to serve you and the people you care about (that you refer to us.)

Since this may not be the right (timing... situation...) for you, who is someone you may know who (is thinking of... has recently mentioned ...) and what is the best way to let them know about my services? - by Tony_B
We are just now starting to mine for referrals, something I haven't been doing for most of my career. This avenue has piqued my interest primarily because of the state of affairs with the economy and here is our approach to referrals.

No business no referral is our basic rule. I've been embarassed once too often when going into a meeting based upon a "referral" from someone who got rid of us for doing a poor job and you say to your prospective.. "Hi Mr. Prospect, John GotRidOfUs suggested that we touch base with you about our ______ or because he thought our ______ program would have been a perfect fit for you.. do you have a minute so we can schedule a time to meet?" Sure Tom, by the way, what did you do for John? I'll leave the vision of the trail of ashes up to your own imaginations.

On the other hand, if we have someone whom we for some reason made solid proposals and couldn't help them maybe because of health reasons etc, we ask them to write us a testimonial based upon the work that we did for them. These go something along the lines of "we (I) was impressed with the level of service and expertise that Tom (and or his son) provided us regarding our financial checkup we recently completed with them(him).

This letter is an endorsement of Tom and his Agency and I recommend that anyone spend the initial 15 minutes that he will ask of you to explain his services.

We are also going to all of our existing clients and asking them to provide us also with letters and we are getting them little by little.

Those that we do place business (this morning I took an app from a well respected bookkeeper) we ask if they'd be kind enough to refer us or in the case of those that do mailings, if they'd enclose our Critical Illness flyer with a note saying, I found this to be important for our family because of the cost of recovery from critical illness. This is beginning to work.

Referrals can help initiate dialog.

Tom :cool: shds; - by rattus58
I will take a shot at this one, because I have had decent success with getting referrals from customers who don't buy from me. The trick is to stand out from the rest of the sales consultants in the area. By the time your customer leaves, even if they don't buy from you because they can't, they should feel welcomed, and grateful for your assistance. If your customers don't tell you that your different from the rest of the sales consultants they have talked to, then you are doing something wrong. - by jrboyd
You ask the client for them. Our clients those that have done buisness and those who do not understand and value our professionalism. They like what we do and how we present whether they choose to do business or not. We receive quite a few referrals by people who did not do business with us. Normally it is a price issue only that did not allow the ownership exchange. - by rich34232

How do you ask for a referral from someone who did NOT do business with you??
After you're sure they're not going to buy from you, I would say the same exact thing I say to people who do buy:

First, slide your paper in front of them that has 3 lines on it, with "name" and "phone number" under each line.

"Some of my best customers come to me as referrals from other customers. I would love it if you would share the names of 2 or 3 people you know who might possibly want to talk to me about widgets". Hand them the pen and then turn your back on them (pack up your things if you're in their home, check your email if you're in your dealership, etc.).

Here's why it works:

1. You're asking for exactly what you want. That's always a good idea.

2. Asking for 2 or 3 people is a great strategy (and I got this from Brian Tracy). People will usually pick the easier option, so that means they'll try to think of 2 names to give you. For those who can't think of two names but like you a lot, they'll stretch to think of one name because they don't want to feel stupid.

3. I love the phrase "might possibly" because it let's people know that you're just looking for possible connections, not people who are ready to buy.

I've taught this technique for years and it works.

Happy referrals,

Skip - by Skip Anderson
I have had instances where people that haven't bought from me have referred sales to me. However I never ask for referrals, and I know that is an unusual thing to say.

I do keep statistics. Sixty two percent of my sales come from referrals. That means every sale I write is worth 1.62 sales.

The closest thing that I do to asking for referrals is that I always give three business cards instead of one in any instance where I would present one. I say simply "Here are three of my cards." and I smile.

Actually there is another exception. I sometimes ask a person to provide an introduction to a key contact who is involved in a project I want to pursue. - by Ace Coldiron
It's always important to tell your prospect during the sales process that a big part of your business plan includes referrals from people that you work with. That way they won't be surprised when you ask them for referrals regardless of the outcome of the sale. And they might just be ready to pass one or two along to you.

-Sharon - by Salesjango
It's hard to expect people who have not done business with you to refer others to you.

Why? Value has not been earned or introduced.

In other words, until the other sides sees the value in the services you offer, it's pretty difficult to expect them to refer others.

Despite them NOT buying, focus on how you can bring VALUE to them. For example, it might be free advice, continued counsel, or sharing competitive info for the.

Value realized = the first step to becoming referable. - by MaxReferrals
There are many times when I can easily show a potential customer how my company can save them money, and improve their business.
Often they are getting overcharged but are so locked in with cancellation fees I cannot immediately sign them up.
I am going to double back to these customers and get written referrals stating how I have helped them and get some future customer referrals. I am going to start doing that today. - by Workinglate
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.