Home > Prospecting > No cost real estate prospecting...

No cost real estate prospecting...

Hi, I have owned a real estate office for many years but closed it, due to an ugly divorce, and starting in a new area. I know lots of ways to get leads but they all take money, which I don't have right now, I need to sell something quick!

I have tried flyers in an apartment complex and had the cops called on me, passed some out in a Target parking lot and been chased away by security.

Any other ideas? I'll knock on doors if I have to but not sure what will get people's attention that way, and it seems so slow compared to the phone...

Bring on the ideas, PLEASE!thmbp2; - by dough
I'd try to get a tax map key list or MLS and start working those lists that you find attractive. Here, anyone can sell any home, so if you have attractive homes for sale... get to buyers. Tax lists will give you names of owners in areas where you can mine for sales, if anything has been sold there.

Aloha... :cool: shds; - by rattus58
I'd try to get a tax map key list or MLS and start working those lists that you find attractive. Here, anyone can sell any home, so if you have attractive homes for sale... get to buyers. Tax lists will give you names of owners in areas where you can mine for sales, if anything has been sold there.

Aloha... :cool: shds;

Aloha! I like that, but the Bahamas are closer to me. sn;

I can get tax records online so that is one of my plans. I'll still have to just go knock on thier door but that will get me started. Thanks!

The area I'm in is a lake so I plan on just starting at one end and walk the whole 35 mile of shoreline and knock on every door. It's not a resort area, they are permanant homes so maybe I'll find a few at home. Any ideas on a good offer to make them? - by dough
I think that if I was in your "shoes".. pun intended I'd invest in a "blind" mailing. It might cost you a grand or two, but it's going to be the quickest way to get your name out to individual homeowners. It probably won't be as much fun as walking door to door, but if you had your picture on the mailing, when you showed up on their porch to give them your card in person, they'd have already "seen" you.

Just think... do this a couple of times and you'd be able to run fer yer district too.... :)

Aloha... :cool: - by rattus58
I think that if I was in your "shoes".. pun intended I'd invest in a "blind" mailing. It might cost you a grand or two, but it's going to be the quickest way to get your name out to individual homeowners. It probably won't be as much fun as walking door to door, but if you had your picture on the mailing, when you showed up on their porch to give them your card in person, they'd have already "seen" you.

Just think... do this a couple of times and you'd be able to run fer yer district too.... :)

Aloha... :cool:

Ya, that would be great, if I had a grand or two. haha but I'll skip the district. ;st - by dough
Are you wanting leads for sellers or buyers? - by Jeff Blackwell
Are you wanting leads for sellers or buyers?
At this point I would take either. I figure buyers are quicker money. - by dough
At this point I would take either. I figure buyers are quicker money.
Buyers will come to you when you have listings. Have you gone after the FSBO and Expired market for listings? - by Jeff Blackwell
What might be FSBO?

Aloha... :cool: shds; - by rattus58
After tedious searching and digging into the bowels of google... I have come to conclusion that FSBO must stand for For Sale By Owner... something I've not done before.... :)

Aloha.... and give me a star....

thmbp2; shds; - by rattus58
Buyers will come to you when you have listings. Have you gone after the FSBO and Expired market for listings?
The only thing I have done for fsbo's is a thing called the bomb. it is a 5x5 inch box full of straw hung on the front door. when they open it the card that says "finding a good real estate agent is a bit like finding a needle in a haystack" when you turn the card over there is a red string and the card say "your search is over" and the string has a needle attached to it.

I passed out 50 of them and didn't get a single call.... - by dough
After tedious searching and digging into the bowels of google... I have come to conclusion that FSBO must stand for For Sale By Owner... something I've not done before.... :)

Aloha.... and give me a star....

thmbp2; shds;

hahaha... Star earned!thmbp2; fsbo is indeed for sale by owner! - by dough
Kudos to Jeff and the gang at Salespractice.com I have joined several forums but never gotten this much response!

Thanks! - by dough
Welcome to SalesPractice.com! Hope you stay a while.

I'm not sure that you want listings in this market for fast turns besides, listings cost money to promote and advertise etc.

I recommend you try chasing a fishing boat instead of the fish. It's called Network Marketing or Synergy Marketing among other things.

Look through the local RE rags or find local Internet sites to find out which Mortgage Brokers or Loan Officers work in the area. Also hit all the local banks. Get in touch with all of them and let them know that you are new to the area and that you are willing to take their FTHBs (First Time Home Buyers) out to get to know the area or show them references from your past RE office to let them know what kind of Agent you are and how well you will treat their referrals.

Mortgage people always want to work with RE Agents who are a good fit or have similar values and styles. This might get you instant deals and fast close transactions.

Good Luck!thmbp2; - by Tony_B
Welcome to SalesPractice.com! Hope you stay a while.

I'm not sure that you want listings in this market for fast turns besides, listings cost money to promote and advertise etc.

I recommend you try chasing a fishing boat instead of the fish. It's called Network Marketing or Synergy Marketing among other things.

Look through the local RE rags or find local Internet sites to find out which Mortgage Brokers or Loan Officers work in the area. Also hit all the local banks. Get in touch with all of them and let them know that you are new to the area and that you are willing to take their FTHBs (First Time Home Buyers) out to get to know the area or show them references from your past RE office to let them know what kind of Agent you are and how well you will treat their referrals.

Mortgage people always want to work with RE Agents who are a good fit or have similar values and styles. This might get you instant deals and fast close transactions.

Good Luck!thmbp2;
Tony,
Thanks! I'm used to mortgage people begging me in my old market. I never thought of goin to them. I'll start on that Monday! I appreciate the idea... - by dough
The only thing I have done for fsbo's is a thing called the bomb. it is a 5x5 inch box full of straw hung on the front door. when they open it the card that says "finding a good real estate agent is a bit like finding a needle in a haystack" when you turn the card over there is a red string and the card say "your search is over" and the string has a needle attached to it.

I passed out 50 of them and didn't get a single call....
I'm referring to contacting FSBOs and Expireds directly either in-person or by telephone. This approach assumes that the agent knows what to say once contact is made. Jerry Bresser has the best training available for listing real estate. I also assume that the agent knows how to price and promote listings so that they sell fast. - by Jeff Blackwell
It seems to me that a FSBO seller is not real interested in having an agents help in selling their home. They would more than welcome the agent bringing them a buyer for the home. It might makes sense to approach a FSBO seller to ask if they would be willing to pay a fee to the agent if they bring a buyer.

Then the question becomes how does an agent find buyers. Funny thing is that the FSBO seller is often looking to BUY another property once they sell the one they have. Also, the FSBO seller might be able to refer the names of those that visit the FSBO home as potential buyers for the savvy agent.

From there, it is all about creating outstanding real estate experiences, collecting testimonials, and getting referrals to build your real estate empire. - by jdedwa11
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.