Home > Personal Selling > Any advice on those new to sales?

Any advice on those new to sales?

I've been working at an inbound call center for a retailer who sells Dish Network and ADT security. I'm currently selling Dish, and if I do well enough over a period of time, I will have the opportunity to move up to ADT security. Before this job, I'd never sold before. I know the product very well and I'm getting the hang of sales. Unfortunately, my coaches and supervisors aren't much help when it comes to selling tips and techniques. Everyone kind of expects you to know how to sell when you start here. During challenging days, I've approached my supervisors and the only answers I seem to get are "It's all a numbers game." and "It's just the luck of the draw." I don't understand. I know that sometimes the calls I get I am unable to do anything with, but there are people who are working on the same level as I am who consistently hit big numbers. So there's no way it is all luck. So if you have ANY advice whatsoever about the process of a sale, handling common objections or closing the deal, I would greatly appreciate it!! Honestly, I think that the thing I have the most problem with is when someone calls in and only wants to inquire prices. They don't want to hear what I have to say, they just want to ask a few questions and get off the phone. How do I control the call without being rude and how do I tell them what I have to offer when they don't really want to listen?:cu - by natalie_rene014
Hi Natalie

Without having product knowledge here is one thing you might try. When some one asks you what your prices are ask them what they were looking to spend. Or if they want sports, or movies. In other words, instead of answering their questions right away start by asking them questions first. Tell them this is information you have to have to be able to help them get what they need. In other words answer a question with a question. Ask a lot of questions, let the customer and listen. they will tell you all you need to know to make the sale. - by MPrince
Hi Natalie,

Best thing I could recommend is to get a mentor. A fellow sales person if not one of those 'numbers' managers to help you. Just try to pick a successful one to learn from.

Being a broad question I would also recommend you ask them what service they have now, What they like and dislike about it and why.

Then fill in the holes with your products benefits :)

Like I said it's a broad topic and right now you need some clear simple focus to build on. That requires a great manager and or a great mentor.

To your success

PS I also highly recommend reading to build your skill as well as to help keep you going through all the rejection. Not that I recommend this specific book for you but, when I first started out at around age 17 I was reading How To Win Friends And Influence People which helped. - by Tony_B
Hi Natalie.... :)

Congratulations for a great choice of carreer. Although the food service industry is a sales industry as well, it is a little different when you don't have those sights and smells to aid you in your selling.

If you can find a mentor, that would extremely helpful to you, but if you cannot, don't despair. You indicate that you have many attributes that for what you do are all plusses. You have a great voice.. clarity on the phone, something I don't have but wish I did, is paramount to understanding on the phone, especially with them old futts like me.

You like people. That WILL come through in your communication. I tell my son to smile while talking. Picture the guy sitting across from you, and do what you'd do...

I like to tape myself. I like to hear myself anyway, but I want to find out how I come across. I also like to write down what works what doesn't. Mary/Martha said ask questions right off and in my opinion, that is the best way to start the dialog with your caller.

You have an advantage with a caller, they are calling YOU. That puts them on your turf. After the initial pleasantries I would ask what prompted them to call. I'd also have a list of all the neat stuff your network has and as he talks and you ask him what he wants the most from a system like yours, if he doesn't mention what your service offers, then ask him... Mr. You'regonnabuyitfrommetoday... Do you like clear? Do you like watching sports or outdoors channels so clear you can almost feel the wind or smell the trees? Now's your opportunity... and what ever happens happens... or he may need more opportunity to make the right choice...

Mr. You'regonnabuyitfrommetoday... some networks offer _______ (name a feature) with their Satellite systems, are you familiar with that feature? If yes, then maybe something like, would you like that feature included with your system? If not familiar... then you have the opportunity to explain the feature, the good and the bad to the best of your ability...

I've not done what you're doing before, but I'd experiment and ask him... Mr. You'regonnabuyitfrommetoday... besides the ***** feature how else would you want to design your home media recreation center? Would you like _________? Do you know what that is.. how it works to ____________?

Would you like to do this? You know if you get started today, we'll give you 6 months of HD programming... You'll love this... it's like being right there... almost feel the wind in your face... in fact you could buy a small fan... ok kidding... and we're giving you three months of special programming so you can decide where you like to spend your evenings or free time. There are Rebates too... up to $300 that will pay for an additional ____ months of programming... now that's hard to beat isn't it... *smile*.... $9.99 a month to start.. I need a little information from you Mr. You'regonnabuyitfrommetoday if you want to go ahead with this... shall we do that....

This is my idea of what you might try... write everything down.. what works... what don't... try new things as you grow.... Treat these people like you would a girlfriend out shopping for her prom dress... or wedding dress or suiting up your boyfriend for his first interview....

Much Aloha... shds; - by rattus58
Everyone kind of expects you to know how to sell when you start here....... So if you have ANY advice whatsoever about the process of a sale, handling common objections or closing the deal, I would greatly appreciate it!!
It's your living and you have to treat it as a business. You have seen evidence that you have to take charge of your own training. You may be new to selling, but you are not new to making decisions in life.

So--I suggest you start by asking yourself three questions. One--do I want a career in selling? Two--how will I recognize information that will help me excel in selling? Three--Where will I find it? - by Ace Coldiron
When the caller calls in, here is their sales process....

1. Express interest by calling in.
2. Collect information.
3. Stall and promise to call you back.
4. Never call you back.

You let them take you through their sales process by....

1. Thinking you have a potential buyer just because they called in.
2. You do a dog and pony show.... give them information.
3. Work to handle their objections.
4. Chase them because they said they would call you back.

One of the most important things you must learn to be successful is how to get callers out of their sales process and into YOUR sales process. Further, YOUR process has to be one that leads to a successful result a majority of the time and is repeatable. So, all you have to do is take your callers through the same process over and over and make sale after sale.

The KEY the process is making buying the dish or ADT their idea by asking better questions. So, you want to tell them as little as possible. Your goal is for them to TELL you what they want and then guide them via questions on how to get what they want.

For example, I call in and want to know about the dish. Once they give you an idea of what they want to know about, you begin to share as much as you know... that is... the only one doing the talking is you. Remember, you don't have the problem... they do. And the one with the problem owns the solution. The more you talk, the more likely the dish is staying with you instead of being bought by the customer.

Use questions like these....

Tell me a bit about how you get your TV programming now.....
What stations are most important to you.....
What prompted you to call today.....

Anytime you feel like you want to jump in and start TELLING someone about your product.... STOP. Rather, ask a question that gets the caller saying how important it is for them to have what you are selling.

So, talk less... ask better questions... and you will sell more... fast and easy.

Hope that helps in some way. - by jdedwa11
By the way, here is how I would recommend you open the call when the phone rings...

Thank you for calling [company], my name is Natalie, what is your name? [most common response is their first name.]

And how do I properly spell your last name?

Thank you [firstname]. In case we get disconnected, what is a good number for me to call you back on?

How can I help you today?

Tell me a bit our your current TV situation......

This approach keeps you in control of the call from the beginning. It allows you to control the pace of the call. Also, it gets the caller talking and sharing information. And finally, it gives you time to collect your thoughts on how best to run them through YOUR sales process rather them taking you through theirs. - by jdedwa11
See... the Difference between me and ACE... is that he reads what you ask and I reacted to what you asked.... that is why he is ACE. To follow up on his
"So--I suggest you start by asking yourself three questions. One--do I want a career in selling? Two--how will I recognize information that will help me excel in selling? Three--Where will I find it?
I think you already mentioned your goals in selling, but to go to the second and third questions that ACE presented, someone new to selling who is interested in "simple" basics to selling and presented in storybook fashion which I found to be a bit hokey but EFFECTIVE manner of presentation is Action Selling.

IN MY OPINION, this is a very well spent $17 for anyone getting started in selling. It is a very quick effective way learn and answers ACE's third question.

Much Aloha,

Tom :cool: shds; - by rattus58
Books to read.
Brian Tracy strongly suggest basic information that will help
Stephen shiffman
Tom Hopkins another atrong suggestion
jeffery Gitomer
Zig Ziglar
John Maxwell
Joe Girard

These authors will give you an idea if this is the direction you want to proceed towards.Sales is a fascinating profession with satisfaction beyond belief. - by rich34232

2. Collect information.
4. Never call you back.

One of the most important things you must learn to be successful is how to get callers out of their sales process and into YOUR sales process. Further, YOUR process has to be one that leads to a successful result a majority of the time and is repeatable. So, all you have to do is take your callers through the same process over and over and make sale after sale.

The KEY the process is making buying the dish or ADT their idea by asking better questions. So, you want to tell them as little as possible. Your goal is for them to TELL you what they want and then guide them via questions on how to get what they want.

For example, I call in and want to know about the dish. Once they give you an idea of what they want to know about, you begin to share as much as you know... that is... the only one doing the talking is you. Remember, you don't have the problem... they do. And the one with the problem owns the solution. The more you talk, the more likely the dish is staying with you instead of being bought by the customer.

Anytime you feel like you want to jump in and start TELLING someone about your product.... STOP. Rather, ask a question that gets the caller saying how important it is for them to have what you are selling.

So, talk less... ask better questions... and you will sell more... fast and easy.

Hope that helps in some way.
This is seriously good info IMHO. You must do this type of sale for a living. - by Tony_B
It's your living and you have to treat it as a business. You have seen evidence that you have to take charge of your own training. You may be new to selling, but you are not new to making decisions in life.

So--I suggest you start by asking yourself three questions. One--do I want a career in selling? Two--how will I recognize information that will help me excel in selling? Three--Where will I find it?
This is exactly the kind of advice I've been looking for! You're absolutely right! Thanks so much :) - by natalie_rene014

2. Collect information.
4. Never call you back.

Hope that helps in some way.
It is really like you've taken the script that was given to me, broken it down and have completely explained it all in words that I can understand! Thank you so much for this. I seriously feel like I should pay you!! - by natalie_rene014
Thanks, I'll definitely check them out! - by natalie_rene014
Someone gave me a negative reputation due to giving titles of books for this person to read to IMPROVE the quality of their profession.

What I would like to know is why is this not helping this person discover what they need to do to improve? Any person who reads the authors I have mentioned will be better prepared with more knowledge and understanding. They also will learn to self teach and to help drive their motivation. To look further than receiving opinions that fit each one of us and our own style.

If we knew more about the person I can understand giving personal pointers. However I understood a larger problem. Do I stay in sales? If so how do I become better at what I do.

How does one gain the education to answer the above questions when they have so little experience with the sales profession? One month two months ,one year still not enough time to decide whether or not that sales is in anyones blood. It takes years to become a successful sales professional with the knowledge that we can learn on a daily basis.

Reading will help them discover what style fits them best and to locate seminars that keep their interests. This will inform them how much they want to stay in the sales profession. Plus gives them a reference point to check back in when it becomes routine and they find themselves in a rut.

Terrible advice not at all. Great advice finding information that answers their concerns for NOW and in the FUTURE. Negative reputation mark I think not. More of a vindictive mark. - by rich34232
Once I started to read I became a more powerful communicator . I became a more effective closer. I am able to guide clients and ask more effective questions that gave answers to both the client and myself. - by rich34232
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.