Home > Education > The Art of Sales vs. The Science of Sales

The Art of Sales vs. The Science of Sales

Which part of sales is science and which part is art? - by Community Mailbox
Which part of sales is science and which part is art?
I don't like the wording of the question because I don't think it's a matter "parts". For a serious student of selling, it becomes a matter of interchangeable lenses.

I'm a serious student, so I'll give my thoughts. But first I want to say that selling is a BUSINESS--art and science nothwithstanding.

Selling IS a science, and we have our own choice as to how we relate to that science. We can choose to study the science, and the principles that have been uncovered before us. We need to do that with a discerning eye, more now than ever. OR--we can seek to ADVANCE the science, by uncovering more information, formulating new theories, and offering it up to others. THAT would mean assuming the role of scientist ourself. There is NO science without scientists.

Selling IS an art, and again we can choose how to PRACTICE that art. We can do it with a foundation of principles, or we can gamble that our own style will see it through. The latter is risky--as in BUSINESS risk. It DOES come back to that. - by Ace Coldiron
Very often you can hear how selling is a form of art, how sales people need to be creative and use their imagination, but I am not agreeing with that – sales is more science than anything. Yes you can use imagination and creativity, but after using tools available to you. - by AlenMajer
Very often you can hear how selling is a form of art, how sales people need to be creative and use their imagination, but I am not agreeing with that – sales is more science than anything. Yes you can use imagination and creativity, but after using tools available to you.
By tools, do you mean principles? If not, what?

If you do mean principles, which would stem from the science, then the use of these tools with creativity and imagination would certainly seem like an art. I would be hard pressed to think that creativity and imagination are negligable in selling so long as they adhere to the principles. To know something is one thing. To practice it another. To practice it with creativity and imagination is something I believe we can strive for.

Alen, I believe that the graphic of the stairway that you have on your very own website serves to exactly illustrate that progression. It shows The Art of Selling further up the stairs in a climb towards success. - by Ace Coldiron
From a physics standpoint, light can be viewed as both a WAVE and a PARTICLE. Like Light, sales consists of both ART and SCIENCE. The science centers on understanding HUMAN BEHAVIOR and the art centers on the ways in which you EVOKE the emotions needed to result in a sale. - by jdedwa11
From a physics standpoint, light can be viewed as both a WAVE and a PARTICLE. Like Light, sales consists of both ART and SCIENCE. The science centers on understanding HUMAN BEHAVIOR and the art centers on the ways in which you EVOKE the emotions needed to result in a sale.
Today's physics as a model would probably say EVOKE through OBSERVING, but I agree very much with what you have said. - by Ace Coldiron
I am not a student of sales in the sense that ACE and some others are. I don't know the color palette, only what I see as color.

If science is the Red-Green-Blue (RGB) Art to me = the resulting color when mixed.

I don't consider sales a science at all. Sales is human behavior. The study of sales might be reduced to a science as would the study of animal behavior be considered a science.

Though I've been frequently volunteered for committment to science, there is absolutely NO CHANCE of anyone who reviews what I do as science... sn;

Much Aloha... Tom - by rattus58
I don't consider sales a science at all. Sales is human behavior.
The study of human behavour IS a science called psychology.

In my view, the science of selling is the study and uncovery of principles that could transition into tools for the practice of the art of selling.

However, I'm the first to admit we're intellectualizing somewhat. For that reason, I always return to my first premise on this thread--or anyplace else--SELLING IS A BUSINESS. - by Ace Coldiron
The study of human behavour IS a science called psychology.

In my view, the science of selling is the study and uncovery of principles that could transition into tools for the practice of the art of selling.

However, I'm the first to admit we're intellectualizing somewhat. For that reason, I always return to my first premise on this thread--or anyplace else--SELLING IS A BUSINESS.
Hi Ace... :)

We have no disagreement on any of this at all... being that I didn't know what to call the study of human behavior.... :cu

Action Selling... (Disclaimer... I'm not saying this is that ultimate process, but its a great beginning process) says that there are nine steps in the selling and 5 Buying Decisions;
The Sales Person - People Skills, Ask the Best Questions, Agree on Need
The Company - Sell the Company
The Product- Sell the Product
Product Cost - Ask for Commitment
Time to Buy - Confirm the Sale

This would seemingly suggest "science" but I'm not sure whether I'd by into this as science. Probably every salesman knows that you may or may or may not go through these actual steps to get the sale.

Me and my kids have a shortened Memonic of this we call EIRA Explore, Identify, Recommend, and Agreement. We foreshortened the Action Selling Process but have preserved the Action Selling "Plan to Win"... the Commitment Objective.

I think that in the sales process, the Commitment Objective is so Important that it Dominates My Sales Process. Whether I call it "take the first step" as part of a Daily Ritual, or my Action Plan for EACH sales meeting that has as the top line.... what do I HAVE to take from this meeting.. Commitment Objective...

Examples of Commitment Objective...
Cold Call = Appointment
Appointment = Followup or Sale
Follow-up = Meeting with Decision Maker
Meeting with Decision Maker = Confirmation of Needs/Recommendations/Sale
Sale = Delivery and Confirmation Processes

What might be Scientific about all of this for me is how that this behavior has finally become rote.

Aloha... ;bg shds; - by rattus58
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.