Home > Education > Salesmanship Today

Salesmanship Today

What is the state of salesmanship today compared to 20, 30 or even 50 years ago? - by Community Mailbox
:) Yer asking me..... hpy3;

I'd guess that the state of salesmanship or sales today is far advanced over 50 years ago... laws for one thing dictate what we say and promise... and if laws don't, the courts sure have. My entire industry (insurance) is written by courts nowadays.

Aloha... shds; - by rattus58
I just read an article on Selling Journal, a part of this forum, by Tom Hopkins (Is your vocabulary costing you money?).

I attended a Tom Hopkins Seminar in Honolulu some 20 years ago and bought his entire collection of videos and tapes and books. I don't remember how many thousands that all cost me, but the entirety of this article was published back some 20 years ago or more, and so, assuming that this is just as valid today as it was 20 years ago, you might say that:

The more things change, the more they remain the same.

Much Aloha... Tom :cool: shds; - by rattus58
Random thoughts:

Distribution of most products and services have changed. It has opened up new forms of selling, and eliminated some previously important segments of the selling industry.

The ranks of salespeople have seen an increase of variations of demographics and psychographics in those entering the field. It has somewhat changed the selling culture in the last half century.

Women now play a major role in selling.

Education in the field has lagged in spite of the fact that there are many, many more trainers and texts on selling. - by Ace Coldiron
We sell to educated buyers now so that we have to stay alert. People are smarter so we have to stay smarter to keep up. - by MPrince
When the customers are beating a path to your door learning salesmanship doesn't seem all that important. - by Johnny Fairplay
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.