Home > Personal Selling > High pressure salesmanship

High pressure salesmanship

What is high-pressure salesmanship? How can a salesman be aggressive without using high-pressure tactics? - by Yankee Peddler
In my personal OPINION, good questioning to uncover the areas that your client has needs for your product or service is pressure enough and in my opinion should be likend to a dive into a pool of knowledge/experiences you need to discover from your client and the deeper you go the more pressure you receive on your eardrums... where I think the most effective pressure is delivered.

Aloha.. Tom :cool: shds; - by rattus58
What is high-pressure salesmanship? How can a salesman be aggressive without using high-pressure tactics?
I'll use two popular definitions of Salesmanship to answer.
1 : the skill or art of selling
2 : ability or effectiveness in selling or in presenting persuasively
From those definitions I would submit that High Pressure and Salesmanship are mutually exclusive.

Questions are only as good as the subjective thoughts behind them. The same can be said for answers.
- by Ace Coldiron
What is high-pressure salesmanship? How can a salesman be aggressive without using high-pressure tactics?

I have been quite so far but I do want to mention that on every post you have said "salesman". Now do your questions also apply to "saleswomam"? There are some women on this forum that might not look at themselves as salesmen. Do you want saleswomen to reply to your posts or only salesmen? There is a difference. - by MPrince
thmbp2; ;bg

Much Aloha... Tom shds; - by rattus58
To my understanding, high-pressure salesmanship is being aggressive and persistent in selling. However, continuously asking for the order is good, but applying too much pressure can lead into uncomfortableness. If it has got to that point, the buyer can see desperation.

Sales can be aggressive without high-pressure tactics by building enough urgency and need. They should feel they really need it.

Hope this helps! - by Polysquared
Confused myself... :) - by rattus58
Good questionong can keep you from being "high pressure". Because the more THEY talk and you listen the less you can say wrong thing, come on strong, etc. - by OneLead Guy
In my humble opinion high pressure is the disregard of the interests of the other person or their company. The only result that matters is to get the sale without any consideration of wether it will provide value or is the best fit.

If you look at it from this perspective then high pressure can equally be brought about by soft selling practices just as much as strong arm aggressive practices. - by peter-odonoghue
As far as I am concerned there is no room and no reason for high pressure sales in today's environment. - by MPrince
I agree, but it still goes on. I have run into a group of insurance agents here in Honolulu from a very well known company, that practice the ultimate in high pressure... They look at this business as a short term flight and then they are out of here. These are Europeans with definitely a different ethic.

Aloha... :cool: - by rattus58
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.