Home > Presentation > Three forms of buying signals

Three forms of buying signals

What are three forms of buying signals that a prospect gives to the salesman? - by Yankee Peddler
I'm not sure what the significance of the number "3" is in your question, but here are some forms of buying signals:

1. Silence.
2. Excessive touching or visual examination of the product.
3. Asking questions, especially specific ones.
4. Stating objections, if they're real.
5. In some prospects, faster talking, more animated behavior, flushing of the face and neck.
6. Smiling.
7. Asking to talk to customers about your product/service.
8. When a prospect starts using the language of ownership, such as "will I have to do any maintenance on the flat screen" instead of "would I have to..."

Skip Anderson - by Skip Anderson
Buying signals are dependant on the customer. That's why it's very important to build rapport and learn about your customer. Skip brings up something interesting with his points that further emphasizes this:

1.) Silence

and

5.) In some prospects, faster talking, more animated behavior, flushing of the face and neck.

Shows that some people may be silent to show that the are interested in buying, and some talk fast and talk alot if they are interested.

Honestly though, I perfer the old school technique, which some people here may not fully agree with. Assumption.

Based on the fact, that the customer is talking to me, and that the customer has spent atleast the past hour with me, I assume that he is looking to buy. Now I do still look for key buying signals to close the deal but I don't waste alot of time figuring out if he is going to buy. I use the buying signals, to close the deal faster. Biggest one, is taking mental ownership. Ex.

"Can you guys put a bedliner in MY new truck?" - by jrboyd
Going deep here...

Touching their face is a buying signal but don't touch your own as a salesman as it shows insecurity.

Psychological mumbo jumbo :) - by Tony_B
Going deep here...

Touching their face is a buying signal but don't touch your own as a salesman as it shows insecurity.
Hot pic Tony ... !

The SILENCE one made me think. And, if I may, I would like to just focus on that for a moment (the others are great too Skip).

What I like about SILENCE is it is very clearly either a buying signal or not a buying signal. Meaning you have to interpret each person, getting a sense for them.

Similarly, this could be either also; "How much does it cost?" We have all had that asked by a prospect who was trying to eliminate us, by confirming we were too expensive. And, in the way that tips us that they are interested as long as the value is there.

Great stuff ... loved it Skip. - by Gold Calling
I have actually been quoted as saying "Silence is a script"

It works both ways. You've heard the term he who talks first loses right? Personally I enjoy that tense felling of silence during a negotiation. It is a great buying signal. So I recommend getting used to that feeling of awkward silence. Just shut up! :) - by Tony_B
I don't know if we can quantify buying signals, but from my experience the most significant and transparent buying signal is the absence of non-buying signals.

One of the most misleading non-buying signals, often mistaken for its opposite, is the overindulgence in the buying process by a prospect. Its signature behavour is the spending of an inordinate amount of time choosing among fine details.

There is a theory among many salespeople that time binds, and the idea is valid. But get beyond that certain point where the prospect is simply treading, and the probabilities of a sale diminish.

So--what's the opposite of that--which would indeed be a buying signal? It's the surrender of control of time to the saleperson.

So there are two, and I'll add a simple one to make it three. If a woman prospect lights a cigarette, it's a done deal. - by Gary A Boye
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.