Home > Personal Selling > Who is your biggest competitor?

Who is your biggest competitor?

In my study of human behavior, I have found that once someone makes a decision, they tend to stick with it. For me, that translates into the STATUS QUO - what they are already doing - as being my biggest competitor.

How do you overcome the status quo? - by jdedwa11
I am my biggest and only competitor. By that I mean, I am not judging my performance on what someone else is doing and trying to get their business...but rather, how I am doing and what is it going to take. How did I do last month or last quarter or last year and what is it going to take to beat that? I find if I do that there is no other competition. - by MPrince
Although I spent my career in very competitive arenas, I rarely view competition in the form of a direct competitor.

Strategy, and competing in business, are two areas of immense focus for me. I direct my efforts into competing AGAINST the daily EXPERIENCE my prospects face every day. My objective is to create a far better experience than they are used to. - by Ace Coldiron
One of the best ways to overcome the status quo is to come up with a compelling USP.

Dan Kennedy, one of the top marketers in the world puts it this way: "Why should I do business with you verses all of your competitors or do nothing at all?

The answer to that question will do the trick. - by Jim Klein
My alter ego.

I do not thing that anyone can say the status quo is not applicable but it is ... well ... it is not quite saying it, is it?

Did you win or loose the battle today?

On a daily basis, are you ... not positive or negative .... but, is part of you struggling or is your head clear? Once it is, then you can focus.

I do not mean to take away from Jim, he is a thoughtful contributor here so can I say this instead of "but" ... Uniqueness is not required for success, it helps but you can do a better sales job without a USP. Sales technique and mastery are the key - even though a part of us wants to think the creation of a USP is a sales technique it is not, though certainly the delivery of it is.

It is not what makes my product/business unique that causes me to win the business, it is me that is unique. Most of the time, I am dramatic at making points, stick out in front of the pack if there is a pack.

And, if there is no competition (pack) - there are still days when I am my own worst enemy. Great topic Jedawa11 - the way you set it up I mean, well done. - by Gold Calling
Good info Jim. I can add a bit.

Who is "i"

Keep in mind your target demographic when writing a USP (Unique Selling Proposition) or Tag/Statement" because a specific USP will work much better than a shotgun generic poorly thought-out USP.

For instance my well researched "A Resource for Results" is targeted to my engineering based clients while my "Serving Your Best Interests" Is designed for a separate niche demographic.

YRMV :)

One of the best ways to overcome the status quo is to come up with a compelling USP.

Dan Kennedy, one of the top marketers in the world puts it this way: "Why should I do business with you verses all of your competitors or do nothing at all?

The answer to that question will do the trick.
As for my answer to your question jd,

I would say to differentiate yourself for the competition and target a specific demographic.

. - by Tony_B
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.