Home > Social Influence > When do you directly confront a competitor?

When do you directly confront a competitor?

At what point do you act in a competitive situation--and how? - by Ace Coldiron
One of my favorite ways....

I am curious to know, who do you do business with now?

RE: my big, direct competitor.

That's interesting. A lot of my new clients are coming over to us from them. - by jdedwa11
One of my favorite ways....

I am curious to know, who do you do business with now?

RE: my big, direct competitor.

That's interesting. A lot of my new clients are coming over to us from them.
What if they weren't? - by Ace Coldiron
What if they weren't?
Then the salesperson should resign him or herself to focusing on meeting with those that don't do business with their top competitor. It would have to be true if the companies product and services were any good and was the best solution in their market. - by jdedwa11
Then the salesperson should resign him or herself to focusing on meeting with those that don't do business with their top competitor. It would have to be true if the companies product and services were any good and was the best solution in their market.
Let's back up because maybe I simply don't understand what you suggest. What I read here was that you think salespeople should only focus on doing business with prospects that are NOT doing business with their top competitor. Your top competitor has to LOVE you. That would suggest that if a prospect is doing business with a strong competitor, the obstacle is insurmountable.

Surely I am misunderstanding your post. - by Ace Coldiron
I have seen this forum piece up for a few days and do find it very interesting. As the question I understand you want to know when I confront other company’s or other companies that the client uses.

This poses a unique quandary with the profession I find myself choosing. With Business to client I consider me to be my competition. I am the only one who can stop my client from owning from me. It is always something I have done or not done or something I have said or not said that stops the ownership exchange from moving forward.

Many years ago the client would stop me in my tracks when they would state I can get my old company to do it for me cheaper. Finally after hearing this to many times I found ways around this obstacle. The first item I realized if my client wanted the old company doing the task they would be there instead of me.

The second item I found a way to inform the client there is no other person capable of doing what I do for you. A scripted sentence that bypasses any desire to do business with the old company, Mr. Client I really do not want to speak about xyz company however if I thought they could deliver the quality, professionalism, service and service after the sale I would be there and we would be speaking about that. BUT I am not I am here and we are speaking about that.

This small structured statement plus other items I have informed the client and the relationship and value built takes care of that silly statement that clients make.

The answer to your question I do not confront the competition ie other companies as I am my own competition and I confront myself on every single sales opportunity I find.
- by rich34232
Let's back up because maybe I simply don't understand what you suggest. What I read here was that you think salespeople should only focus on doing business with prospects that are NOT doing business with their top competitor. Your top competitor has to LOVE you. That would suggest that if a prospect is doing business with a strong competitor, the obstacle is insurmountable.

Surely I am misunderstanding your post.
My post: A lot of my new clients are coming over to us from them.

Your post: What if they weren't?

It seemed obvious to me that if they weren't, then either:

1. Your product or service was not as good as the top dog... or
2. You could not communicate the value of using your solution rather than theirs.

If 1 or 2 was indeed true, then those using the top dogs stuff would have no reason to switch to your products. Thus, you would find that talking to those that don't use the top dogs stuff easier pickings. - by jdedwa11
My post: A lot of my new clients are coming over to us from them.

Your post: What if they weren't?

It seemed obvious to me that if they weren't, then either:

1. Your product or service was not as good as the top dog... or
2. You could not communicate the value of using your solution rather than theirs.
No, I don't think those are obvious conclusions at all.

If the prospect was not among the group that you descibed with "A lot of my new clients are coming over to us from them.", I can't see any reason whatsover to not continue the sales process.

There could be hundreds of reasons why they are not "coming over to you." I think that's where the selling starts. - by Ace Coldiron
In terms of strategy, the principles suggest that you confront a competitive situation at a time when you can be creative.

In another related thread on strategy, I used the word "surprise". An even better interpretation of the principle often referred to as "surprise" would be Innovation. Surprise or Creativity or Innovation all suggest unusual or extraordinary methods.

The topic's question asks "When" and I posted above "..at a time.." What is critical is that a sales process should always START in a conventional way. Sales prospects NEED A FAMILIAR FRAMEWORK with which to evaluate our offering. It is at THE END of the process that we need to stand out through creativity--the surprise or innovation. - by Ace Coldiron
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.