Home > Social Influence > How can we make sure that the sale has the best chance of going according to plan?

How can we make sure that the sale has the best chance of going according to plan?

From a strategic viewpoint, how should we make sure the sale goes according to plan? What gives us our best probability? - by Ace Coldiron
Ace... You said it yourself in your question. Have a Plan. It's pretty simple actually. Have an objective for each meeting.

Have an objective for the sales call or cold call. What do I want from this call... is it:

An appointment
A next meeting for presentation
A next meeting for meeting the real buyers
A next meeting for delivery of the product
A next meeting for training..

Why am I there today? Where does this have to go from here. That is the plan... should be the plan... and has to be the plan if you in fact HAVE A PLAN.

The above pronuncement is an Opinion and Belief of a single self...

Aloha... Tom shds; ;bg - by rattus58
Ace... You said it yourself in your question. Have a Plan. It's pretty simple actually. Have an objective for each meeting.

Have an objective for the sales call or cold call. What do I want from this call... is it:

An appointment
A next meeting for presentation
A next meeting for meeting the real buyers
A next meeting for delivery of the product
A next meeting for training..

Why am I there today? Where does this have to go from here. That is the plan... should be the plan... and has to be the plan if you in fact HAVE A PLAN.

The above pronuncement is an Opinion and Belief of a single self...

Aloha... Tom shds; ;bg
All good stuff--both opinion AND belief, Tom. Will you help me take the discussion further, though?

Here's a thought in that regard. What if you didn't do all that? It would be tough to get the sale, right?

Again, as on my other threads I'm trying to get some discussion on strategy going. - by Ace Coldiron
All good stuff--both opinion AND belief, Tom. Will you help me take the discussion further, though?

Here's a thought in that regard. What if you didn't do all that? It would be tough to get the sale, right?
There have been times when I've gotten lazy and tough doesn't describe it, unless by tough you mean, no sale, no movies on Friday, and take out instead of a sitdown dinner with my wife at one of our several world class restaurants around town here... yes.

I'm becoming more and more convinced in the benefits of Preparing properly for the shot. Without it, it a richochet is a probable result.

I'm writing a book, as you know, primarily in response to my children coming into the business with me. My whole thrust of this is simplicity. Having a plan is simplicity in itself. How hard is it to follow or fill a day from a checklist? It isn't. It is a NO BRAINER.. and for people like me, that's a very descriptive condition of myself.

What do you need to do. How do I do it. What do I need to complete the sale. For someone having to deliver things, knowing that the shipping department can deliver on a day, can drop ship items,... think like your client. How would I like things done. How can I do this without stress. If I the salesman can deliver this environment, be prepared to. Ask questions of your company, ask questions about your competition. Know how people use your product, your competitions ... for gods sake, learn how people are getting along today WITHOUT your product. If you don't get that tidbit down, you DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DELIVERING TO YOUR CLIENT.

I'm a financial products peddler, for the most part. People spend money doing what my products provide money for. Am I a better choice?

Aloha... Tom :cool: - by rattus58
I think you are very much on track, Tom.

In sales STRATEGY, the answer to the posted question is that we can make sure the sale goes according to plan, by ASSUMING THAT THE SALE WILL NOT GO ACCORDING TO PLAN.

In your case, your preparation has that assumption at its core. You know that if you don't prepare and cover the bases, you will lose a sale.

You're a pilot, right? I'm a sailor. In sailing we have "Forehandedness". It constitutes preparation for staying out of trouble on a sailboat. It works on the assumption things will go wrong. It saves lives.

Sales are saved by preparation. - by Ace Coldiron

In your case, your preparation has that assumption at its core. You know that if you don't prepare and cover the bases, you will lose a sale.
That just about sums it up in total.... thmbp2; No Plan, No Can!

You're a pilot, right? I'm a sailor. In sailing we have "Forehandedness". It constitutes preparation for staying out of trouble on a sailboat. It works on the assumption things will go wrong. It saves lives.

Sales are saved by preparation.
Flights are prepared for via three things. The Flight Plan, the Pre-Flight, and the post-flight run up and inspection (a pre-flight essentially to make sure everything is working before you have to go again. The worst things that can happen on a pre-flight is find something not working).

I'm finding out that if I plan my flight (sales) I follow a "known" route to my destination. If weather intervenes, you know where to navigate to get back on track towards your destination.

If you are in a slump, applying these principles will get you out. I know this by experience. Having a plan will get you to organize your office. I know this too by experience. Having commitment objectives validates the plan.. or maybe that's the wrong word.. but commitment objectives keeps the plan in motion.

In my OPINION, planning has simplified my life, organized my sales, is cleaning up my office and is making even these challenging times fun.

Aloha... Tom shds; ;bg - by rattus58
Obviously these threads I posted are about Strategy in Selling, an area I lean towards, and specialize in. Thanks for sharing and participating. You have provided some GREAT examples that zero into the core of the topic. - by Ace Coldiron
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.