Home > Social Influence > Competitive Situations

Competitive Situations

How do you close sales in highly competitive situations?

Keep in mind that in those situations, your normal advantages are significantly reduced. - by Ace Coldiron
Ace... I've never been in a "highly competitive situation" before in the way I think you mean it, but I can tell you this, if two companies come in with the same premium, the same product, the same benefits, it is going to be the salesman who makes the difference. Do they like you and TRUST you or do they like and TRUST him more. I've both won and lost these competitions.

Here is my prescription.... BE PREPARED, KNOW YOUR CLIENT. Otherwise its a coin toss, and usually that means it's a double sided coin and your competition calls heads.

Aloha... Tom shds; ;bg - by rattus58
Ace... I've never been in a "highly competitive situation" before in the way I think you mean it, but I can tell you this, if two companies come in with the same premium, the same product, the same benefits, it is going to be the salesman who makes the difference. Do they like you and TRUST you or do they like and TRUST him more. I've both won and lost these competitions.

Here is my prescription.... BE PREPARED, KNOW YOUR CLIENT. Otherwise its a coin toss, and usually that means it's a double sided coin and your competition calls heads.

Aloha... Tom shds; ;bg
OK, but really I've posted some questions in the realm of strategy. Let's suppose that they like and trust your competitor as much, AND your competitor is as PREPARED as you are. You're saying it ends with a virtual coin toss?

I'm trying to examine everyone's thinking on this for the sake of a discussion on strategy in selling. And I DO appreciate your response and participation. - by Ace Coldiron
Ace... Like I've said, I've not really been in "competitive" situations like you've presented, but I've been in competition.

If you are equally presented to your buyer/client with another agent or sales person, the answer is going to come down to either, I like him better or I like you better. What ELSE could it come down to?

If you are prepared for your presentation, you either did a good job or you didn't. Other than asking the buyer/client "Maam, you've indicated that you needed to be able to acquire these items at no more than .22 per copy in order to sell them at your advertised price of .50. You've notified your suppliers that delivery MUST be no later than May 1st. You've specified no lead, non odorous paint, and strong adhesion. We've satisfied your criteria with that haven't we? We have agreed to drop ship to YOUR ultimate destinations for 3/4's of your order, saving you an additional $23,000 in direct cost, which it seems you have made a condition with our competition as well. Other than a gift certificate to Ruth Chris for you and your family, what do we have to deliver in order to advance this sale for our company? What's missing?

You've said May 1st, We're planning on having them on your shelves by April 24th, doesn't give you additional peace of mind knowing that should shipping issues develop, it won't impact your ultimate delivery date? Ms. Yourdabestdecisionmakerhere, if we do this for you, you'll be able to rid your mind of this particular product detail and move on to other things that demand your attention. Shall we do this?

If you don't have something in reserve, it's who you are, in my world anyway.

Heck... I'd even bring along my kids double headed nickel... :)

Aloha... - by rattus58
You've said May 1st, We're planning on having them on your shelves by April 24th, doesn't give you additional peace of mind knowing that should shipping issues develop, it won't impact your ultimate delivery date? Ms. Yourdabestdecisionmakerhere, if we do this for you, you'll be able to rid your mind of this particular product detail and move on to other things that demand your attention. Shall we do this?
So now with all other things being equal, you're getting CREATIVE, aren't you? You're asking them to rethink their position. You've offered a surprise at the right time. Now you've introduced "peace of mind" to the equation by promising to not just deliver on time, but to deliver beforehand.

And there's something else you've got going and you probably realize it. You've got MOMENTUM.

I hope some of the newcomers to SP and sales learn from what you've just demonstrated, Tom.

This is what SP should be about. - by Ace Coldiron
"OK, but really I've posted some questions in the realm of strategy. Let's suppose that they like and trust your competitor as much, AND your competitor is as PREPARED as you are. You're saying it ends with a virtual coin toss?"
Wouldn't this mean the opposing comany is prepared to answer this in the same manner?All things are equal. - by rich34232
"OK, but really I've posted some questions in the realm of strategy. Let's suppose that they like and trust your competitor as much, AND your competitor is as PREPARED as you are. You're saying it ends with a virtual coin toss?"
Wouldn't this mean the opposing comany is prepared to answer this in the same manner?All things are equal.
Tom said "...it's going to be the salesman who makes the difference."

He then exemplified a strategy, which gains momentum.

If you are asking whether anyone else from another company could do that, the answer is of course Yes. He has no control over what a competitor does---only what he does.

However, given the scenario he presented, I think the odds very much favor him. - by Ace Coldiron
No arguments there. I am stating if things are equal as in the first act they would have stated the exact same items in the second act. This applys to the same product that provide the same features benefits and each sales person knows product and is prepared exactly the same as stated above.Then what do you do?If all things are equal would it then come down to the belief of the promises and the ability to deliver on those promises? - by rich34232
This is what Tom Said:

"You've said May 1st, We're planning on having them on your shelves by April 24th, doesn't give you additional peace of mind knowing that should shipping issues develop, it won't impact your ultimate delivery date? Ms. Yourdabestdecisionmakerhere, if we do this for you, you'll be able to rid your mind of this particular product detail and move on to other things that demand your attention. Shall we do this?"

In strategic terms, it's known as Surprise. You use it at the end of the sales process, winning it.

Now you might ask can't the competitor do that too. Perhaps--but the Momentum is Tom's. The momentum of strategy is Persuasion in sales. - by Ace Coldiron
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.