Home > Social Influence > How does a creative idea change the sales process?

How does a creative idea change the sales process?

When you introduce a new creative idea into the sales process with a prospect:

Does the new idea change the rules?

Does the new idea demand reinvention of your sales process?

Does it replace conventional thinking?

Should the new idea be mixed in with standard methods? - by Ace Coldiron

Does the new idea change the rules? -- AC

NO -- MitchM

Does the new idea demand reinvention of your sales process?

NO -- MitchM

Does it replace conventional thinking?

NO -- MitchM

Should the new idea be mixed in with standard methods?

If you can do it and make both work for the benefit of the other, YES. - MitchM - by MitchM
From a strategic view on selling, Mitch, your answer is absolutely correct. - by Ace Coldiron
That's validation, Ace.

Is there another view on sellin not strategic you see as counter to my reply?

Mike - by MitchM
That's validation, Ace.

Is there another view on selling not strategic you see as counter to my reply?

Mike
Unfortunately there are. Stay with what you've got. - by Ace Coldiron
That's validation again. Why would I want to work nonstrategically!

TQ

MitchM - by MitchM
What is a creative idea? Would you please give an example? - by Seth
What is a creative idea? Would you please give an example?
I'm not sure I understand why you don't know what a creative idea is.

I'll share one concept that I have used frequently and successfully, including twice in the last few days.

One of the components of prospect/customer decision is Selection. It can often block consumation of a seemingly successful selling interview because of indecision on things like color, design, shape, size, etc. after a progression of consent that would normally be an automatic close.

This is a dangerous place for a salesperson to be, because if the sale is stalled on the basis of something like aesthetics or less, and the prospect remains on the market, the chances could cool down.

Many salespeople will err here by creating a monetary or value added incentive in an attempt to bring a final decision and close the deal.

I often innovate in an opposite direction. If I'm at a real stall like exampled above, I will introduce an upgrade in both product and price. In the art of strategic selling, this is called redefining the basis for the decision. We revolutionalize the reason for buying and redefine the benefit, by upping both quality and price.

I have rarely been unsuccessful with that innovation. I have used that creative idea in sales ranging from $3000 to $120,000.

None of this requires reinvention of the sales process, nor changing the rules. And the only departure from conventional thinking that I've witnessed is from the conventional thinking of "average" or novice salespeople.

That is creative selling.

That is closing.

Seth, join in and give us an example of a creative idea in your work. - by Ace Coldiron
Seth, join in and give us an example of a creative idea in your work.
I don't have any examples. Call me boring I guess. - by Seth
I don't have any examples. Call me boring I guess.
I always found sales to be an exciting and very rewarding line of work. - by Ace Coldiron
Heck... bending the arm of a Gumby doll is creative sales if it can illustrate to the truck driver he's not doing much shifting and driving with only one arm.... hence his need for me.

Aloha... :cool: ;bg - by rattus58
Heck... bending the arm of a Gumby doll is creative sales if it can illustrate to the truck driver he's not doing much shifting and driving with only one arm.... hence his need for me.
That one went over my head.

Most of the threads that are of the strategy genre don't get much play on this forum.

An associate of mine has pointed out that one of the biggest advantages of understanding strategy is that very few people do understand it. I concur obviously. I find it a huge advantage in selling, but I've observed the subject as not quite right for this forum.

I'm Old School--always working to sharpen the saw. The people who had the greatest influence on me were the same way--and boy could they close sales. I owe that culture a debt of gratitude.

Sales today attracts a wider cross section of mindset. On a forum like this you can reflect almost any attitude. In the meetings I've been part of that were composed of serious salespeople, anybody who participated in a bored frame of mind would have been asked to leave the room. - by Ace Coldiron
The Gumby doll actually made a sale for me.... To me that was creative....hpy3;

In my Opinion, creative ideas can come along at any point of the sale. It can come in designing the presentation, the initial call, the delivery, and represents a reaction to either information you've received or out of a brainstorming process.

I believe that a creative idea for me is going to be far different than for you. I'm not sure I exactly understand what a creative idea is, cuz for me most ideas are for me creative.. like having the same color socks, for example.. wearing a tie... now that WAS creative.

What I mean is, a creative idea for one might mean taking a late year flooring contract (I'm not a tax person but bear with me) and accelerating the purchase into this year in order to take advantage of accelerated depreciation this year, and taking that tax savings today and applying it to that second location flooring contract we're still talking about.

For me it might mean or more likely will mean a different way of presenting ideas.

I don't know I quite understand a sales process other than my own and how I'd change it. A creative idea, if it accelerates the sale, on the one hand, might combine process steps. A creative idea might on the other hand, extend the sales process but include more indivuals in key man/person sales situations. I'm pretty staid in my processes... xerm;

Much Aloha... shds; ;bg - by rattus58
Yes Sales is a very rewarding and deeply exciting area to live and breathe in, but Ace it is different strokes for different folks, in your scenario above ....without knowing too much about the physical product.....i tend to sway on the imaginative juices of the client, does colour tend to matter, is it subjective, maybe or maybe not. My creativity is creating a scenario so the customer not only qualifies itself but sells my service to itself. I simply do this by elliciting the necessary criteria and values that are in alignment with what i can offer. I view this as a doorway whereby the customer can feel the great benefits of this relationship and all it needs to do is walk through and own it. Thats where i assist and ensure that doorway is firmly shut behind it.

It is fantastic how you automatically upgrade and receive a greater benefit to yourself and to the client.

My last close which was yesterday, my client just said......i cant afford you, but i cant not afford to have you! - by SeanPatrick
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.