Home > Personal Development > Habits for a successful sales career

Habits for a successful sales career

What habits when cultivated do you feel would best assist a salesperson in pursuit of a successful sales career? - by Community Mailbox
What habits when cultivated do you feel would best assist a salesperson in pursuit of a successful sales career?
The habit of knowing and visualizing your intended outcome. - by Johnny Fairplay
Do what is important first each and everyday. Prospecting for new business for example. - by jdedwa11
Read and study everything about selling you can get your hands on.

Don't worry about not being able to emulate any guru....just keep reading what they write. Study, absorb, listen to motivational tapes in the car (tapes???;0))

Listen to other salespeople, open yourself up to absorbing everything about the subject.

You'll see small improvements here. A tiny new technique emerges there. You start to understand things better. You start to gain confidence.

Truth is....even if you suck right now....if you can keep at it long enough and survive........you can eventually become really good at it.

Keep at it. - by helisell
Don't take NO for an answer. - by Polysquared
In my opinion, some of the habits we have to endure are good health, preparedness, enthusiasm, and commitment.

I think we need to strive for good health through excercise, diet, and attitude.

Preparedness. I think that we need to know today what we are going to be doing tomorrow and be ready.

Enthusiasm. I think that you have to be enthusiastic about what you do for a living. Wake up in the morning waiting to go to work.

Commitment. Till Death do you part. That's your commitment to this great profession.

I know there are many others that have influence on us, but this is my short list.

Aloha.... :cool: - by rattus58
Preparedness. I think that we need to know today what we are going to be doing tomorrow and be ready.
I rank Preparedness as the number one habit for a successful sales career. - by Ace Coldiron
I rank Preparedness as the number one habit for a successful sales career.
Hi Ace.... I totally agree with you about preparedness. If you're not prepared, you're not there. thmbp2;

Much Aloha... Tom shds; ;bg - by rattus58
Try different things to get started and work out what you like and what type of sales or sales environment suits you.

you may find you are better at or like working on the phone only or face to face only or a combination of both.

you may find working for a base salary only with small bonuses is better or less stressful that a commision only position or retainer plus commisions. Once you find what is best start anylising everything you do.

How ever many sales jobs you go through before you find one that is stable and acheivable for you try and learn and take in everything you can. ask your clients if they are happy with the service you have provided and if not ask for areas to improve.

take everything in you can and try and apply everything that is relevent to every sales conversation you have with a client. don't try to over complicate things. Keep things simple.

Always aim for something better or higher than what you are doing right now but set achievable goals, whether it may be a transfer or promotion to another department with in the company. maybe its earning more in your same role work out what you would like to earn, be reasonable, and work towards that goal. once you acheive it, maintain it and look again to advance.

treat people well, have patience, don't only sell, service your clients in all aspects. if your existing clients require assitance or need you for something deal with them first before prospecting or looking for new sales. they have already earnt you money or have helped you get closer to your targets, they have earnt your time, and there is a chance of another sale from them/referral or future business.

If you learn something, tell other people you work with what you have done, ask for advice if they think it is a good idea. Ask what people are doing to achieve their targets.

If you sell mutliple products or can provide different options to customers and you find that you can explain one thing a lot better than another or you find people have more interest in one thing, focus on that and you will become an expert in that area/product/service. this is great for sales people that have to cross sell products or bundle or package products.

Most of all be open to criticisim, coaching and advice, if you have the right people around you, you will always be learning and improving. The more you improve the further and more successful you will be in your sales career. - by mjmci
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.