Home > Interview > How to detect and deal with tyre kickers?

How to detect and deal with tyre kickers?

You know, the type that exist purely to waste your time and make your life miserable. I work in large shopping centres with a national brand and we have a great product everybody wants however not everyone can afford, so they take it out on us.
Why is the mentality of these people? And how do you deal with them without being walked all over? I know they are likely pitiful people and full of self loathing, but there's no justification to project that onto a salesperson just so they can feel superior for 10 seconds. The hard part about it is having to bite your tounge and they always know they have the upper hand because they're the customer and apparently "the customer is always right".:cu Any tips for dealing with these idiots without getting fired? - by sales_ace
First off, I'm of the opinion by your description of them "tyre" kickers that you deserve what ever you get. I'm actually appalled that one engaged in sales could ever consider anyone with the disdain you do. Actually there is a medical condition that describes your condition ... "intra rectal cranial insertion". - by rattus58
Any tips for dealing with these idiots without getting fired?
As you look more and more, you begin to see others who discovered that you can shift your perception of what is happening and what that means to you. - by Johnny Fairplay
First off, I'm of the opinion by your description of them "tyre" kickers that you deserve what ever you get. I'm actually appalled that one engaged in sales could ever consider anyone with the disdain you do. Actually there is a medical condition that describes your condition ... "intra rectal cranial insertion".
thmbdn2; It's all easy to be high and mighty when you're selling to business folk, but b2c is a completely different ball game. I'm not making excuses, but I don't have any sympathy for people who set out to deliberately waste time and engage salespeople in mindgames. Why do you? Do you get abuse shouted at you from mindless idiots everyday? I understand it comes with the territory, but I was hoping for some positive advice not your "opinion". - by sales_ace
As you look more and more, you begin to see others who discovered that you can shift your perception of what is happening and what that means to you.
Can you elaborate more on this please? - by sales_ace
I'm not making excuses, but I don't have any sympathy for people who set out to deliberately waste time and engage salespeople in mindgames. Do you get abuse shouted at you from mindless idiots everyday?
As a B2C guy, please tell me more about the "mindgames" you mentioned; and please write more about the "abuse shouted at you". I want to help, but need more information.

Thanks.

Skip - by Skip Anderson
Honestly I don't believe that a customer wakes up in morning and decides "Hey lets go screw with a sales man!" Honestly I believe they are probably interested in buying, if they are going to be asking you questions, you just have to turn those questions into buying motives, and then proceed with the sales. I do B2C as well, and I've found that by prejudging your customers on what you expect from them, that is what you will get from them. Instead of seeing it as a waste of time, why not go into it thinking this will be a big sale. Even if you don't sell them they could recommend a friend to you.

No one ever said sales is easy. You will have to deal with people. Adapt to them and you will be successful.

Hey Tom BTW: "Intra Rectal Cranial Insertion"? I like that lol. - by jrboyd
thmbdn2; It's all easy to be high and mighty when you're selling to business folk, but b2c is a completely different ball game. I'm not making excuses, but I don't have any sympathy for people who set out to deliberately waste time and engage salespeople in mindgames. Why do you? Do you get abuse shouted at you from mindless idiots everyday? I understand it comes with the territory, but I was hoping for some positive advice not your "opinion".
First off Bub... I think your attitude towards people in general is your problem. What makes you think I sell to business folk? I deal with blue collar 90% of the time, but they at least act business like. I think the answer to you is a book called how to win friends and influence people or take a Dale Carnegie Course.

Lastly... it is going to be MY OPINION that gives advise. Everyone here is dealing with YOUR OPINION, so you might want to get on the right track. But as to MY OPINION and dealing with people, I don't know of any salesman who has EVER had people come in and yell at him.

If when you talk about tyres, you sell cars, I was connected with large dealership directly for 30 years, I am involved with 3 large dealerships right now as well, so I feel not only do I have a right to MY OPINION, I feel that your very description of the public, your attitude of the public, your very mindset of the people that come into your place of business is destructive to the sales process and further is CLEARLY not deserving.

Here is some CLEAR ADVISE that you are looking for...RESPECT YOUR PUBLIC. - by rattus58
Can you elaborate more on this please?
Sales is a people business and along with people comes human nature. People can be terribly rude at times that is without question. If the salesperson starts to look for people displaying rude behavior he or she will unfortunately find them everywhere through the aid of selective perception which left unchecked could mark the beginning of the end of another sales career. Instead, use selective perception to your advantage and look for that which you would rather see, friendly people who have come to you for assistance in a matter of concern to them. As you look more and more you'll start to see them all around you. :) - by Johnny Fairplay
Sales is a people business and along with people comes human nature. People can be terribly rude at times that is without question. If the salesperson starts to look for people displaying rude behavior he or she will unfortunately find them everywhere through the aid of selective perception which left unchecked could mark the beginning of the end of another sales career. Instead, use selective perception to your advantage and look for that which you would rather see, friendly people who have come to you for assistance in a matter of concern to them. As you look more and more you'll start to see them all around you. :)
Excellent observations and advice, J.F.

And, I still hope sales_ace will share more information with us so we can identify what specifically he's referring to in his first post in this thread.

Skip Anderson - by Skip Anderson
Any tips for dealing with these idiots without getting fired?
You are probably not cut out for sales.

Here's something you won't hear very often--if at all. Most people who are truly successful in sales (big money earners which is what it's all about) get off to a FAST START. They start making many sales early in the game. I know that is contrary to all the failure to success myths, and I know there are famous exceptions. If your struggles have manifested to the point where you are looking at prospects as "idiots", it's time to find another line of work, Sales Ace.

There is one alternative, however--but it's up to you. You can put the past entirely behind you. Start anew and start making sales NOW. Lots of sales. You will find that people with cash in hand don't seem much like idiots at all. - by Ace Coldiron
Sales is a people business and along with people comes human nature. People can be terribly rude at times that is without question. If the salesperson starts to look for people displaying rude behavior he or she will unfortunately find them everywhere through the aid of selective perception which left unchecked could mark the beginning of the end of another sales career. Instead, use selective perception to your advantage and look for that which you would rather see, friendly people who have come to you for assistance in a matter of concern to them. As you look more and more you'll start to see them all around you. :)
This is great advice, thank you.;sm

I think lately I've been seeing the bad in people. I had a terrible week this week, on the back of a great start. Perhaps my attitude needs some readjustment. But I do respect the public greatly, it just seems the rude types lately have been more common, and this has impacted on my performance. - by sales_ace
What have found with sales it is not what you say it is how you say it. What this means simply ask the tire kicker why.Yesterday I had a client who did not respect my profession nor my expertise.Right off the bat he tried to set my price for both labor and material at a low ball price.He even made the statement any idiot can do what I do.I reached my hand out and replied to this client if this is how you feel and you are strickly seeking price I thank you for the buisness and I do not wish to waste your time or mine.

His next question was what do you mean.At this point I now received cooperation from the client. We could now start over and complete the ownership exchange. Ask and you will receive. I have found that all can afford what I bring to them,I must find the terms that they can live with and afford.

I am with rattus in that the perception of the client needs to be changed to one of opportunity. - by rich34232
Sales Ace.......there is no such thing as criticism.....it is purely feedback whether you are selling to a customer, persuading a friend or whatever. How do you know these people dont intend on buying from you? Why do they act in a very inappropriate manner? Also, I've noticed you view your goods as expensive and unaffordable, is this right? How do you engage the imagination of the customer to buy from you, is it purely based on your perception of their net worth or ability to afford? Do you assume far too much about people? How motivated are your customers in handing over cash to buy from you?

'tyre kickers' is a very derogatory statement and i detect you assume they are time wasting, whereas i would feel encouraged to go inside and examine why they didnt buy. I have worked in retail in fact i sold furniture and i always began with one question after i greeted a customer, Is there something speciific you want to buy that i can assist you with? I escalate the customer to a place where they are visualising the goods in their home and enjoying the benefits of my salesmanship and goods they bought from me.

I believe everything should be WIN-WIN for all, and it reduces buyers remorse considerably!

I dont know all the answers but i find when i stop assuming and start asking, things change, people change and before you know it YOUR customers start selling YOUR goods to themselves. - by SeanPatrick
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.