Home > Personal Selling > Do you have excellent communication skills?

Do you have excellent communication skills?

In addition to attentive listening which communication skills are most important for salespeople to learn? - by Community Mailbox
Hmmmmm Let's see..... In addition to ATTENTIVE LISTENING what would you need.... well if you're listening you must question, and if you're questioning then you might want to learn the who, what, when, where, how, and the whatelse about your client and what he does and how he would use your product in his life, how he uses others products in his life, and how he's getting along, if that's the case, without you, your product, or the competitions.

This is in MY OPINION... which is an opinion of one, which belongs to me and myself to which I have sole responsibility... :)

Aloha... shds; ;bg - by rattus58
In addition to attentive listening which communication skills are most important for salespeople to learn?
Try these on for size:
  • ability to engage others in conversation
  • ability to verbalize your offering without causing confusion
  • ability to help others clarify and verbalize their wants and needs
  • ability to help communicate complex issues in a way that others can understand
  • ability to help others save face in a conversation
  • ability to empathize and read between the lines
  • ability to take a genuine interest in others
  • ability to facilitate a positive buying experience
- by Johnny Fairplay
The ability to communicate effectively is the most important skill you can have, whether you're giving speeches, pitching ideas to your boss, or simply sending off an email or leaving a voice message. These resources will help you hone those skills. - by Team Building FL
We were alwasy taught to lisyen, empathise, question and be positive! The other person will feel your energy! - by Neelam
Try these on for size:
  • ability to engage others in conversation
  • ability to verbalize your offering without causing confusion
  • ability to help others clarify and verbalize their wants and needs
  • ability to help communicate complex issues in a way that others can understand
  • ability to help others save face in a conversation
  • ability to empathize and read between the lines
  • ability to take a genuine interest in others
  • ability to facilitate a positive buying experience
Great list, Johnny! - by Skip Anderson
Great list, Johnny!
Missing from the list is a key part of listening ... being able to be silent. The majority of salespeople feel the need to fill in the gaps with babble. Continuous talking is not a requirement of good communication.

Not being able to be silent is absolutely lethal when closing. I've heard a silence of what seemed like minutes when a CEO was asked if he wished to proceed. He said yes. If the salesman had spoken, the deal could easily have been lost.

When the closing question has been asked ... shut-up ! - by TonyB
Not being able to be silent is absolutely lethal when closing. I've heard a silence of what seemed like minutes when a CEO was asked if he wished to proceed. He said yes. If the salesman had spoken, the deal could easily have been lost.
What would it have been lost if the salesman had spoken? - by Gary A Boye
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.