Home > Referrals > getting referrals (vacuum sales)

getting referrals (vacuum sales)

I'm in vacuum sales and we give our customers a lead sheet to write down leads on and then ask them to call those leads, but it is so hard to get people to actually call them. I'm always having to make cold calls. We offer gifts for people who set up a certain amount of demonstrations but they almost never call. I have to ride them until it's too late for the gift program. How do I make it work!? - by ttdub
It seems like something isn't working in your process. Could you describe it a little more? - by Skip Anderson
It seems like something isn't working in your process. Could you describe it a little more?
We have different things such as if that person sets me up with 4 demos, they get a 100 dollar visa gift card. There are plently of things like this, but they just don't seem to care after I leave the home. I call them multiple times. On the first call they just say that they havn't talked to them. Then after that they stop answering there phone. Should I keep reiterating the point that they can get something for free (whatever they were trying to earn) - by ttdub
Rat's... post cut again.....

Ok... I'm not gonna spend time on this a second time (no you've not seen the first... maybe brevity is the best... If you don't sell a vacuum cleaner, you're not getting referrals. If you're trying to sell referrals, you're gonna get what you're getting.

Aloha... shds; ;bg - by rattus58
We have different things such as if that person sets me up with 4 demos, they get a 100 dollar visa gift card. There are plently of things like this, but they just don't seem to care after I leave the home. I call them multiple times. On the first call they just say that they havn't talked to them. Then after that they stop answering there phone. Should I keep reiterating the point that they can get something for free (whatever they were trying to earn)
Are you getting referrals while in the home? Just like closing the sale is most likely when you're in the home, so is getting referrals. Although it's possible to get referrals after the fact, your chances of getting referrals decreases dramatically once you leave the home.

How do you ask for referrals? What's your verbiage? - by Skip Anderson
Are you getting referrals while in the home? Just like closing the sale is most likely when you're in the home, so is getting referrals. Although it's possible to get referrals after the fact, your chances of getting referrals decreases dramatically once you leave the home.

How do you ask for referrals? What's your verbiage?
Ya I try to get them in the home (instant set). I guess I had better continue to do that, but how do I go about asking because I asked someone the other day, but they said they would feel uncomfortable doing that because they would be pressuring there friends. - by ttdub
Ya I try to get them in the home (instant set). I guess I had better continue to do that, but how do I go about asking because I asked someone the other day, but they said they would feel uncomfortable doing that because they would be pressuring there friends.
How have you been asking? What process do you use? - by Skip Anderson
How have you been asking? What process do you use?
After they write down the names on the lead sheet I ask if they wouldn't mind calling tonight because I get a little extra out of it. - by ttdub
After they write down the names on the lead sheet I ask if they wouldn't mind calling tonight because I get a little extra out of it.
Here's the reality of your situation: your customers don't care about you, they only care about them. And they care almost as much about their friends and family that they just wrote down on the sheet. They [usually] don't care if you get a little extra out of it.

So you need to leave that out of your question, and you need to be more direct to get the customer to take action.

Can you provide an incentive for them calling tonight? If you can, then that might be a good strategy. Otherwise, simply ask them to do it. You can use something like this:

"Of all the people on your list, who would you feel most comfortable calling to schedule an appointment for them to hear about my widgets?"

After they answer, say, "Fantastic! Let's go ahead and give them a call!" Some people will refuse, but some will pick up the phone.

After they call that person, you can ask for another.

Skip Anderson - by Skip Anderson
I know Iím just a noob to this site, but Iím pretty sick when it comes to getting a decent amount of referrals for my clients. I think I would take a whole new approach on what youíre doing! If you just made the sale youíre going find it hard (as you are) to get a quality referral from someone. (Not the guy next door that they canít stand) Referrals are like diamonds, people just donít give them out, build that personal relationship with them. I like to call them after a few days to see how things are going make some small talk and ask for it right there 9/10 I get it, after that I donít stop! I like to send them a thank you card expressing how I value there business and friendship with some of my business cards inside for them to pass out. (More card= more referrals) sounds over the top but it worked for me. I took one guy to the charger game once from all the referrals he gave meÖ.but thatís another story. Bottom line is, People like to relax and play with widgets for a couple days get a feel for it, fall in love with it, and best of all they like how you handle the transaction from A through Z, EARN that referral, donít hit and run! And don't strong arm them for it. Work your magic and close them on it! thmbp2;
Good luck,
Paul Jacob - by Paul Jacob
I know Iím just a noob to this site, but Iím pretty sick when it comes to getting a decent amount of referrals for my clients. I think I would take a whole new approach on what youíre doing! If you just made the sale youíre going find it hard (as you are) to get a quality referral from someone. (Not the guy next door that they canít stand) Referrals are like diamonds, people just donít give them out, build that personal relationship with them. I like to call them after a few days to see how things are going make some small talk and ask for it right there 9/10 I get it, after that I donít stop! I like to send them a thank you card expressing how I value there business and friendship with some of my business cards inside for them to pass out. (More card= more referrals) sounds over the top but it worked for me. I took one guy to the charger game once from all the referrals he gave meÖ.but thatís another story. Bottom line is, People like to relax and play with widgets for a couple days get a feel for it, fall in love with it, and best of all they like how you handle the transaction from A through Z, EARN that referral, donít hit and run! And don't strong arm them for it. Work your magic and close them on it! thmbp2;
Good luck,
Paul Jacob - by Paul Jacob
EARN that referral...
Excellent advice!

In the past ten years that I've been keeping track, every sale I have made has been worth 1.7 sales through just two tiers. That means that seventy percent of my new customers have provided a lead into, through direct referral, a new sale via referral. That's a raw statistic. If you look at the parlay factor, almost like a geometric progression, one original sale can produce an endless stream. The longest tracking I ever did on one specific original sale showed a progression of 18 sales that followed--all from UNSOLICITED referrals. There were probably more from that group that I failed to track.

This might be a shocker...but I never ask for referrals. I EARN them. The only exception is where I might approach someone for an introduction to a decision maker on a project I become aware of.

Many sales training courses, internal and external, advise on ways to ask a customer or prospect for a referral. Some of the ways have been discussed here. I'm not a subscriber to those methods.

There are some industries, such as financial planning/insurance that do show successful track records among their producers through a process that DOES ask for referrals. Closer examination will reveal that those producers work in a much more multi-dimensional and complex process than most direct selling or simple retail process'. Relationships often tend to go deeper and continue over a longer term. But even in retail, where relationships can develop through service and repeat purchases, the majority of sales through referrals come as a result of unsolicited referrals. - by Ace Coldiron
Good luck,
Paul Jacob
Excellent approach!! - by jdedwa11
Paul hit a home run when he said you have to earn your referral thmbp2;

I don't know if you expect to get more sales from your existing clients, but if you beat them over the head for referrals like that you are ruining any chance you ever had for more sales with those folks. And that's a crime because you could come back and sell those same folks another vacuum cleaner probably every 3 years like clock work if you hadn't destroyed the relationship.

If I were you I'd stopped brow beating my clients and get referrals from complimentary businesses.

Life is too short to damage your integrity. - by ccIowa
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.