Home > Resistance > This is the first place we've been to.

This is the first place we've been to.

I sell cars.....well, I sell solutions to problems, cars are the solution. Often times, as an objection, people will say, "This iss the first place we've been to." Usually this is a lie, but whatever. What are some good rebuttals to this objection? - by wesbound
What would you have to find here to make it the only the place you visit? - by jdedwa11
I sell cars.....well, I sell solutions to problems, cars are the solution. Often times, as an objection, people will say, "This iss the first place we've been to." Usually this is a lie, but whatever. What are some good rebuttals to this objection?
That's not an objection and it does NOT require a rebuttal. It's information. If it's towards the end of your meeting with them, it's them telling you that their experience with you was not enought to make them want to do business.

There are NO magic phrases--no tactical statements--no patent replies--that will reverse their stance.

You say in your profile that you are a novice. It gives you a huge advantage over experienced people who have been making the same mistakes for years.

Learn a great selling process. Master it. Keep learning. Then you will not face those statements from prospects.

The other thing to know is that if you face that situation now you can back-track with that prospect. Learn to make a second effort. Use humility. Ask them "what's missing?" Find something to discuss with them "before they leave."

A novice is in the catbird seat. You don't have to unlearn bad selling. - by Ace Coldiron
Ace, that's real good advice. Can you recommend anything that can be done earlier, than to prevent that from happening?

I'm an aspiring salesperson who is committed to raising the standards of the profession. - by wesbound
Ace, that's real good advice. Can you recommend anything that can be done earlier, than to prevent that from happening?
I already did when I wrote: "Learn a great selling process. Master it. Keep learning. Then you will not face those statements from prospects."

If you're looking for magic bullets, I can't help you. But here are six strong suggestions.

Study the top salespeople in your dealership. Analyze and imitate.

Learn to ask questions. Study the various types of selling questions.

Learn to slow a prospect down. Top car salespeople do just that. Time binds.

Study and learn a specific methodology of sales. Don't try to invent one--you're not qualified.

Drop the "solution" talk at this point in your career. You sell cars which is not about engaging in the complex sale. Many top salespeople sell cars.

When you work with a prospect, get minor commitments along the way. - by Ace Coldiron
Well from my perspective, after watching one who I could only call a pro in this field at least with the one person I was a witness through from initial introduction till they retired to the dealership office to sign papers, before they even looked at a car or color.

While I wouldn't call it selling solutions, this gentleman (truly) sold comfort, safety, convenience, visibility, entertainment and value without once mentioning a model, color or style. It was all about her, her family, and her neighbors kids. I thought his model close was unique in that he said, paraphrasing here, "your almost as if new tradein was somewhat upper income; do you want to keep it there or move up to a little more luxury?"

Aloha...:cool: ;bg - by rattus58
rattus...tell me more...this sounds like my kind of salesperson. - by wesbound
1. I agree that customer's are usually lying when they say you're the first dealership they've been to.

2. Your first response should be one of validation, not one of confrontation: "Really? We're the first place you've been to? That's fantastic! Thanks for picking us!"

3. Assuming the objection is coming after an attempt to close the transaction, ask this: "Whether you had been to 20 dealerships first, or this was your first visit, how do you feel about the Honda XYZ you drove today?" [your goal should be to re-establish engagement with the prospect...they're throwing this objection in the way to stall a decision or to avoid a decision; you need to get them focused back on why they came in today].

4. I agree that if you're hearing this objection at closing quite frequently, there are other things you could be doing earlier in your process that would help develop and increase sales momentum. It sounds to me like you could use a stronger process.

i hope that helps!

Skip Anderson - by Skip Anderson
1. I agree that customer's are usually lying when they say you're the first dealership they've been to.

2. Your first response should be one of validation, not one of confrontation: "Really? We're the first place you've been to? That's fantastic! Thanks for picking us!"

3. Assuming the objection is coming after an attempt to close the transaction, ask this: "Whether you had been to 20 dealerships first, or this was your first visit, how do you feel about the Honda XYZ you drove today?" [your goal should be to re-establish engagement with the prospect...they're throwing this objection in the way to stall a decision or to avoid a decision; you need to get them focused back on why they came in today].

4. I agree that if you're hearing this objection at closing quite frequently, there are other things you could be doing earlier in your process that would help develop and increase sales momentum. It sounds to me like you could use a stronger process.

i hope that helps!

Skip Anderson
Are there any specific processes one can recommend, or are you telling me to be strict about the typical car sales process, i.e. meet and greet, qualify, walk-around, demo, appraise trade in, proposal, close? - by wesbound
Are there any specific processes one can recommend, or are you telling me to be strict about the typical car sales process, i.e. meet and greet, qualify, walk-around, demo, appraise trade in, proposal, close?
Buying something is a journey. Once your client starts down that path, you need to make sure they stay with you on the journey. If they're leaving the journey at the last minute (when the deal is closed), that usually indicates that either some previous steps were previously executed, or there was some information that the salesperson didn't sufficiently get or understand, or the salesperson was unable to develop sales momentum throughout.

For instance, using the process you mentioned, is it possible that you aren't qualifying your prospects accurately? Is it possible that you don't fully understand their needs (those are the things that are going to get them to buy)?

There's no reason do appraise a trade in if the car they're looking at isn't the one they want.

Do you trial close before appraising the trade in? ("If we can give you a fair price on your trade-in, are you interested in owning this new car?", etc.).

It's hard to diagnose a sales problem in a few quick paragraphs on a forum like this, but I just have a feeling that if you're having this objection often, there's a reason for it, and that reason is something is missing (or weak) in your selling process before you get to that point.

Does that help?

Skip - by Skip Anderson
Buying something is a journey. Once your client starts down that path, you need to make sure they stay with you on the journey. If they're leaving the journey at the last minute (when the deal is closed), that usually indicates that either some previous steps were previously executed, or there was some information that the salesperson didn't sufficiently get or understand, or the salesperson was unable to develop sales momentum throughout.

For instance, using the process you mentioned, is it possible that you aren't qualifying your prospects accurately? Is it possible that you don't fully understand their needs (those are the things that are going to get them to buy)?

There's no reason do appraise a trade in if the car they're looking at isn't the one they want.

Do you trial close before appraising the trade in? ("If we can give you a fair price on your trade-in, are you interested in owning this new car?", etc.).

It's hard to diagnose a sales problem in a few quick paragraphs on a forum like this, but I just have a feeling that if you're having this objection often, there's a reason for it, and that reason is something is missing (or weak) in your selling process before you get to that point.

Does that help?

Skip
It's not that I get the objection often, it's that I am really not sure how to handle it. Brian Tracy says that an objection means that I have not gotten the customer's emotions raised to the point they must have the item.
I think you are right, though, that I'm not fully fleshing out their specific needs/desires/info that I can use to help expedite their decision. - by wesbound
rattus...tell me more...this sounds like my kind of salesperson.
Hi Westbound....

This is strictly a Paraphrase....

Lady with family walks up from her car to me and the salesman looking like she's seeking someone...
Salesman = S
Lady = L

S= Excuse me, are you looking for someone in particular that I can locate for you?
L= Yes, we're looking for someone to help us look for a new car
S= Well besides this guy here who's trying to sell me insurance I'd be happy to help you, would you mind... My name is Bill...

L= I help you get away from him and you help me .... ?
S= Deal...

S= You've got a cute kid, do you have any more?
L= Yes two more in school
S= So you're one of carpool moms at school?
L= More like the carmom for my kids friends, everyone else works..
S= How do you manage to keep your car looking like new if you're the carpool?
L= My husband.... S= We've an opening here for a detailer if he needs extra work... beautiful L= *smiles*

S= How many seats do you need to be comfortable? L= We've got 5 but there seems to be no room to move and the kids are getting bigger and baby needs to be in a carseat till she's 4 or 5...

S= So 7 or 8 seats and or room to take stuff to the beach or camping? L= something like that would be nice.

S= Do you use the car during the day for work or tennis or bridgeclub? L= *L* No Bridge club, no tennis, just church and other moms at the park sometimes. S= Do you carpool these ladies and their kids sometimes? L=Yes often.

This went on like this for 15 minutes and then what came down to several crucial questions...

S= Since you have children and other passengers that get in and out of the car possibly frequently maybe in areas of traffic, would you want passenger doors that could open up into traffic, or would you want passenger doors that would only open up towards the curb away from traffic?

And after all that... S= "your almost as if new tradein is somewhat upper income; do you want to keep it there or move up to a little more luxury?"

Not once did they talk model, price, or color... once she said "I'd like to be comfortable" he sayed... "Tommy... I love you but I'm gonna help this young lady and her family... would you please make sure that no dust gets on her car... it's a showcase.... and off they waltzed TO HIS OFFICE.... where I'm of the impression that he showed her brochures for basically color and features of movie stations etc.

I do know that he also had a mechanic come in and talk to her about servicing and pre-clusion inspections in order that problems they saw frequently got taken care of through routine service rather than a breakdown. I thought that was a nice touch as well.

That lady, when she came out, came up to me and apologized for taking my sale away and asked me if she owed me a tip for dusting her car.... :)

Fortunately these guys are a Japanese dealership and GM or Chrysler...

Aloha... Tom shds; ;bg - by rattus58
Where are you at in the sales process? If its at the begining then that's easy to overturn.

"Well this is the first place we have been to."
+GREAT!! Now I take it you guys have an idea what you are looking for right? And if we found what you guys were looking for, and gave you guys a WOW! deal, is there anything that would keep you from purchasing today?"

If it's after test drive, and you are trying to transition to the penciling.

+Mr. Customer, I do this for a living, and I try to learn something from each and everyone I talk to. Now, I may have misunderstood what you were looking for, so is this not what you had in mind for your next vehicle? Is there something you wish it had, or is there something on it you can do without? (If they respond the yes, then you are on wrong vehicle, find one more similiar to what they are looking for, if they respond no then..) So this is what you wanted for your next vehicle then?

So if it's not the vehicle, then I must apologize, because I most have done something to offend you. What was it that I did wrong?

Ok.. So if it's not the vehicle, and it's not me, the only other thing I can think of is you guys are worried about the price? We'll Mr. Customer, I know your time is very important to you, and you have already spent about 45 mins here with me. I would hate for you to have to go through this again at another dealership. How about this, you give me a little bit more of your time, and let me see what I can do to fit this into your budget. Follow me this way. (This is a tricky transition/assumptive close. You do not wait for the customer to respond yes after asking a little bit more of their time, just begin heading for your desk. - by jrboyd
Where are you at in the sales process? If its at the begining then that's easy to overturn.

"Well this is the first place we have been to."
+GREAT!! Now I take it you guys have an idea what you are looking for right? And if we found what you guys were looking for, and gave you guys a WOW! deal, is there anything that would keep you from purchasing today?"

If it's after test drive, and you are trying to transition to the penciling.

+Mr. Customer, I do this for a living, and I try to learn something from each and everyone I talk to. Now, I may have misunderstood what you were looking for, so is this not what you had in mind for your next vehicle? Is there something you wish it had, or is there something on it you can do without? (If they respond the yes, then you are on wrong vehicle, find one more similiar to what they are looking for, if they respond no then..) So this is what you wanted for your next vehicle then?

So if it's not the vehicle, then I must apologize, because I most have done something to offend you. What was it that I did wrong?

Ok.. So if it's not the vehicle, and it's not me, the only other thing I can think of is you guys are worried about the price? We'll Mr. Customer, I know your time is very important to you, and you have already spent about 45 mins here with me. I would hate for you to have to go through this again at another dealership. How about this, you give me a little bit more of your time, and let me see what I can do to fit this into your budget. Follow me this way. (This is a tricky transition/assumptive close. You do not wait for the customer to respond yes after asking a little bit more of their time, just begin heading for your desk.
it's usually at the end when i ask for the order as a reason to not go ahead. truthfully, i'm not a fan of showing them numbers if they are not prepared to buy, but i have to follow company policy. - by wesbound
Your dealership shows them numbers knowing they will not buy today? Your joking?! Why not just call the competition and give them your numbers directly, cut out middle man?

BTW just closed an 11 pounder. Guy traded in a beauty, 1965 Corvette Stingray Convertabile. - by jrboyd
Your dealership shows them numbers knowing they will not buy today? Your joking?! Why not just call the competition and give them your numbers directly, cut out middle man?

BTW just closed an 11 pounder. Guy traded in a beauty, 1965 Corvette Stingray Convertabile.
Like I said, we do things a bit different than most places.
11 pounder....must be nice. - by wesbound
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.