Home > Marketing > door to door stats...

door to door stats...

not sure if this is the right forum but...

I used to do a lot of telephone cold calling years ago. Just moved to a new area so I don't know anyone so I'm going to go door to door because of the DNC list. What kind of numbers can I expect? How many doors to knock on before I get a sale?:cu

The product is as a Realtor.

Thanks,
Doug H - by dough
There's a lot better ways to find prospects than door-to-door. What are you selling? - by Jim Klein
There's a lot better ways to find prospects than door-to-door. What are you selling?
I agree there are better ways, my problem is money. I have none.
I am selling houses. I know tons of ways to make the phone reing but they all take money. I am starting over in a new area where I don't know a soul and I am doing it with no money. =) - by dough
Let me give you a few quick ideas.

Contact expired listings

Contact the five houses on either side and the ten across the street from a new listing or sale.

Hold open houses

And every where you go, pass out your business card, asking who do you know who might be interested in buying or selling.

Make it a habit to get belly to belly with twenty people every day and tell them about your business. - by Jim Klein
I think there are too many variables to give you an answer that would be valuable at all.

- neighborhood?
- time of year?
- interest rate at the time?
- local market factors?
- etc.

Having said that, one thing is true in door-to-door prospecting: If you do it, you have a chance to find a prospect at a home who is willing to talk to you; if you don't you won't. - by Skip Anderson
Let me give you a few quick ideas.

Contact expired listings takes money for postage

Contact the five houses on either side and the ten across the street from a new listing or sale. this is knockin on doors. i do it.

Hold open houses takes money for ads...

Make it a habit to get belly to belly with twenty people every day and tell them about your business. door to door. doesn't get much more belly to belly than that.
i appreciated the ideas. I have been a realtor for 20 years owning my own RE/MAX office but I just moved to a new area and I HAVE NO MONEY, thanks to... (well, the reasons don't matter)

I'm just going to knock on doors until I have a couple sales for cash to do other things. What I wanted to know is how many doors am I going to have to knock on to get the salessn;, statistically speaking. Thanks, - by dough
i appreciated the ideas. I have been a realtor for 20 years owning my own RE/MAX office but I just moved to a new area and I HAVE NO MONEY, thanks to... (well, the reasons don't matter)

I'm just going to knock on doors until I have a couple sales for cash to do other things. What I wanted to know is how many doors am I going to have to knock on to get the salessn;, statistically speaking. Thanks,
My own sales practice is give or take 18 of 100. This is not quite so easy to break down statistically, but it does provide a relatively accurate assesment of my own efforts. Home sales, on the other hand are, I assume, somewhat tricky. I'd be looking for rental properties and talking to people about buying a home at todays depressed prices and low interest rates.

It used to be that a 30 year mortgage cost you approximately 1% a month of the purchase price of the home. Today its 3/4's of that... meaning that a 100K home 20 years ago cost you $1000 a month to buy with taxes and insurance etc.... roughly... today that is about $750 or less for that same 100K home and a 200K home can be had for $1200. For someone earning $40,000 or $45000 a year, perfectly doable.

Aloha... Tom :cool: - by rattus58
Not trying to be devil's advocate here, but if you honestly expect to start a decent business with no investment, chances are you will have a hard time suceeding. Postage is a neglible expense. Running an ad in newspaper is also a neglible expense. Figure how much gas you are wasting to go door to door, figure out the time spent to capital you are making, and it doesn't really make much sense for you to do it. Especially in the Reality Business. If you are asking for a magic technique, where you can make money with no money and little time, sorry there isn't one. You will either have to invest the money, or continue door to door and invest your time. One or the other. - by jrboyd
Doorstep script:

Hello I wonder if you could help me.
I'm fairly new to the area and I'm a bit lost.

I believe that someone in this part of the
street/neighbourhood may be putting their
house on the market soon and looking to move . . .

Do you have any idea who I need to ask for?

The worst that usually happens is that you get into conversation. You'll be astonished at the amount of information/gossip/knowledge you'll gain from this exercise.

I used to re-visit a couple of days later to see if they'd 'heard' anything.....often they had... - by helisell
not sure if this is the right forum but...

I used to do a lot of telephone cold calling years ago. Just moved to a new area so I don't know anyone so I'm going to go door to door because of the DNC list. What kind of numbers can I expect? How many doors to knock on before I get a sale?:cu

The product is as a Realtor.

Thanks,
Doug H
I would guess you would knock 40-50 doors a night.

Out of those 40-50 you might get 20 customers actually home.

Out of those 20 you might have 5 who already use your product or similar product, 2-5 who won't make a decision without their partner, a handful who don't want anything to do with Door to Door.

So whatever is left stcktng;

Depending on your product, you should be able to do 3-6 quality presentations during the night. - by MrCharisma
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.