Home > Closing > going from calling to closing

going from calling to closing

I work selling contract services, and have only been doing it for two weeks now. So far I was just putting out feelers and getting companies to add us to their contractor shortlists. Today, I was given some new leads and told I needed to close at least two- it's a work trial, so proving my ability is paramount; i have to get a certain number before being offered the job.
The good thing is that most of the leads are people in industries where we've already done business with another person, so I have recommendations to help sell the contracts and make them a little less cold.
However, selling by telephone is something I'm completely new to, and when selling door to door, i could usually turn a brush-off around, it's harder on the phone and there is much less time to get someone's attention. Also, there is a lot of competition-we sell contracts for security, facility management, cleaning and related services, and a variety of other things, so the customers don't seem interested in buying directly.

What am I missing that could help me do better by phone? How should i open the call so I can lead, introduce and explain myself adequately, and get some results while on the phone? - by stacks
You should lead with your USP or Unique Selling Proposition, what sets you apart from the competition. You have to let me know why they should purchase from you verses all your competition including doing nothing at all.

If you don't set yourself apart then the lowest price will be the determining factor. - by Jim Klein
I work selling contract services, and have only been doing it for two weeks now. So far I was just putting out feelers and getting companies to add us to their contractor shortlists. Today, I was given some new leads and told I needed to close at least two- it's a work trial, so proving my ability is paramount; i have to get a certain number before being offered the job.
The good thing is that most of the leads are people in industries where we've already done business with another person, so I have recommendations to help sell the contracts and make them a little less cold.
However, selling by telephone is something I'm completely new to, and when selling door to door, i could usually turn a brush-off around, it's harder on the phone and there is much less time to get someone's attention. Also, there is a lot of competition-we sell contracts for security, facility management, cleaning and related services, and a variety of other things, so the customers don't seem interested in buying directly.

What am I missing that could help me do better by phone? How should i open the call so I can lead, introduce and explain myself adequately, and get some results while on the phone?

From my perspective, if I understand this correctly (a challenge for me sometimes) you have a number of services you're offering and are offering it all at once? I would find this difficult from the outset.

I believe that with many services to offer, I'd try some kind of mailing or coupon for information that you could call a sorta prequalified prospect.

Barring that, I'd call to send information with a follow up. You might even try go to meeting to give them a presentation while you've got them on the phone with youl

Anohter idea would be to set up an invitation only web presentation.

Barring that, I think I'd stick to one offering that would ostensibly be the most likely gain acceptance by your market.

But I'm not sure I'm understanding your plight clearly.... why aren't you selling an appointment with a contractor or whatever your market is to sell your services directly to the contractors?

Aloha... shds; ;bg - by rattus58
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.