Home > Education > Tailoring a sales training program

Tailoring a sales training program

So I'm working on re-doing our sales training at our company and am trying to design the training part of the website. If you could please critique this entry that would be great!

As a company we recognize that each sales representative is an individual and tailor our training program accordingly. Rep performance and prior training is tracked and used to personalize the on going training process. This allows our reps to continually improve and enhance their skills as well as build upon their knowledge base. The “one size fits all” models are inappropriate when it comes to sales. Each rep brings his or her unique experiences and abilities which are built upon for sales success. - by tele_trainer
My first response to your post would be it raises more questions than answers. My looming concern is that from your post you seem to indicate that there is no clearly defined sales process for your sales people to follow. Therefore, no way to improve and no way to retain consistency. Is this what you mean to communicate? Perhaps I misunderstood.

What content or methodology of sales does your team follow. It does not say in the paragraph, it only states what you are against?

When you say tailor the training accordingly to the individual, do you mean monitoring each individual or do you mean content? If you mean content then I would strongly disagree and if you mean monitoring each individual to progress their learning then I would suggest that you reword your paragraph in a more clear way so as to communicate this. - by Harold
Don't mean to rain on your parade, tele, but I agree with a lot of what Harold wrote.

As a company we recognize that each sales representative is an individual and tailor our training program accordingly.
How do you do this? Tailoring a training program is a good thing, but it's one of those things that's easy to say and challenging to do.

This allows our reps to continually improve and enhance their skills as well as build upon their knowledge base.
Is there any sales training on the face of the earth that couldn't also say this? If your intent is to make your training sound special, this sentence doesn't help, I'm afraid.

To me, it sounds a little like a rep who says "we have excellent customer service" and "we're very customer focused" [yawn]

The “one size fits all” models are inappropriate when it comes to sales. Each rep brings his or her unique experiences and abilities which are built upon for sales success.
I don't know if "inappropriate" is the word you want.

In general, I think your blurb needs to be more focused on the training does for the "customer" - the trainees. What benefits does it provide? What's in it for them?

I hope that helps. - by Skip Anderson
I agree with Harold & Skip's view that there are huge challenges in implementing and managing a tailored program such as you suggest. I believe you need to take charge especially with new recruits and provide firm (not dictatorial, but firm) direction, especially in the formative weeks or months of their tenure.

Rather than a critique I offer the following as an example of what I'd be more inclined to write as a lead in to the training program, understanding that at this stage of their career, one size should indeed fit all ...

"As a company we recognize that each representative is an individual, but it needs to be understood that our training program has been carefully designed in compliance with (the company's) high standards of representation, whilst at the same time providing the best possible basics for a successful sales career as part of a successful sales team.

it is important that you learn, understand and follow the basic guidelines!

In tracking sales performances it is our policy to personalize on-going training so that you are able to continually improve your skills and build on your product knowledge base. In addition, as your competence and confidence grows, you'll find that your own unique personality, experience and abilities (traits which have a lot to do with the reason you're sitting here today) will adjust to become a seamless part of the process".

In the training room you would discuss the important reasons why the company requires it be done this way, (policies, compliance issues, confidence in knowing what's being told to customers should there be a future issue & all that stuff). The time for creativity will come later, and they're working for a company that is prepared to listen and implement well thought out ideas emanating from those at the coal face.

I'd start the discussion by asking them why it would be important to the company that they follow the guidelines and then lead them with questions so that they 'take ownership' of the rationale as if it were their own idea.

Hope it helps, questions or clarification welcomed
Cheers, Tony - by Tony1905
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.