Home > Cold Calling > critique me!

critique me!

Hi,

I haven't been a member for long, but I love the community and everyone is so helpful, I thought I would post my "script" I am using here in the forum and get some expert opinion. I revised it recently based on one members site and her technique, but I would love any advice you might have.... (this particular approach is geared toward real estate people, obviously, I simply alter the beginning line or two depending on who I am calling..)

Hi, may I speak to ______(name)__________ please?
Hi ___(name) _______, my name is Lisa and I am with the Wellness Company. I was calling today because,( __name)___, I know that with the housing market how it is and all the changes in the economy lately nobody in real estate seems to be making the money they used to anymore. But, ___(name)____ , I can show you how to have supplemental stream of income along with living healthier AND saving money all without leaving what you do currently or taking up all your free time; would that be fantastic or what!?

NOÖ. no problem, I understand itís not for everybody; do you know anyone who is really into their health or looking to make some extra money?
YES / What do you do? / What are you talking about?

What I can tell you briefly is that I am a wellness consultant, specializing in total life enhancement. I work with a well established company, this opportunity is completely risk free and it will cost you less to have your own business with me that you pay to fill up at the pump these days! (SMILE)

We deal strictly in consumer goods; I promise I wonít be asking for a large investment or for you to spend money on anything that you donít already. And I can tell you that we have a real estate professional within our company who used her skills from selling real estate to generate a check for $1100 in her first month and more recently in May of this year for $8,000!
I would love to introduce you to myself a little more, the company and the products that make this all possible; I would need about 35-45 minutes of your time, I promise I wonít waste it, I know your time is valuable, now would ____________ or __________________ be better for you?

Okay, Iíve got that on my calendar then for _______ at ______ and can I get your email too, I will confirm with you the morning of via email.
Have a great day & Iíll talk to you then!

Thanks in advance!
Lisa - by lisamom
1. I prefer to open calls by using the following format.... HI, this is Jerry with the Wellness Group. I am calling for {Name}. I use this approach because it disarms the call. The first thing that pops into my head using your opening is.... SALESPERSON.....

2. I get the sense that your ideal client is a person who is interested in attaining or maintaining good health and is interested in creating a second income by building a wellness business of their own. I would encourage you to develop a script that finds out if that is something they are interested in exploring and, if yes, set an appointment to talk with them further.

3. My final thought is you should consider breaking your sales process down into a two or three step process. That is, find out if they are interested in trying the product first. Then find out if they would recommend the product to others. And finally, share with them how they can build a business around those recomendations. So, build a script that gets you an appointment that leads them to sample the product. - by jdedwa11
Thanks Jerry,

I like the input in regards to my introduction, that is exactly what I am trying to avoid. I have already changed things around a bit due to some suggestions from another member and an having more success breaking through initially to people. He and I has also talked about more yes/no questions being part of this initial process as it is going to help qualify my prospective business partner even better. No sense is spending my time or theirs, if they are wanting the income but see no value in living healthy or helping others to do so we have nothing more to talk about. xerm;

Thanks for the suggestions!
Lisa - by lisamom
HI Lisa... what do you know about the people you cold call?

In your opinion who would be a qualified customer?

What sort of qualifying questions do you need to ask?

In my experience I do as much talking as the person I'm calling if not less. At a cold call stage I'm gauging whether they need what I have and I provide them an idea of what I do and a reason to talk to me AGAIN so that I can fully explain things to them. I do not go into my spiel during a cold call and as another poster here likes to call it.. I have a "commitment objective" for my cold call.

As the poster above me suggested... you need to break your script into different steps.

You are providing them too much info up front. - by Andrea
I know that with the housing market how it is and all the changes in the economy lately nobody in real estate seems to be making the money they used to anymore.
Why would you say this? you just gave them a reason to not do what you want them to do. I would get rid of this.

But, ___(name)____ , I can show you how to have supplemental stream of income along with living healthier AND saving money all without leaving what you do currently or taking up all your free time; would that be fantastic or what!?
Is this really realistic Lisa? This sounds to me like one of those infomercials that promise big results and deliver very little. Like lose 50lbs with just 5 min a day!! My first impression is not to believe them. I recommend you manage their expectations better. In your shoes I would turn this more into a consultative sale. Where they feel like they are getting an assessment and put them in the drivers seat of their life.

Would you like to find out how much supplemental income you could earn by spending a portion of your free time doing healthy things???
What I can tell you briefly is that I am a wellness consultant, specializing in total life enhancement. I work with a well established company,
This is good... I like this.

this opportunity is completely risk free and it will cost you less to have your own business with me that you pay to fill up at the pump these days! (SMILE)
As soon as someone says risk free I immediately don't believe them. There is always some risk and it's up to me to figure out what that is and how much I'm willing to risk. You say this during a cold call and you turn them off. On top of it you are telling them it will cost them anything when maybe they are in over their heads in debt or bills and this will turn them off immediately. Don't say this during the cold call.

We deal strictly in consumer goods; I promise I won’t be asking for a large investment or for you to spend money on anything that you don’t already. And I can tell you that we have a real estate professional within our company who used her skills from selling real estate to generate a check for $1100 in her first month and more recently in May of this year for $8,000!
I would love to introduce you to myself a little more, the company and the products that make this all possible; I would need about 35-45 minutes of your time, I promise I won’t waste it, I know your time is valuable, now would ____________ or __________________ be better for you?

Okay, I’ve got that on my calendar then for _______ at ______ and can I get your email too, I will confirm with you the morning of via email.
Have a great day & I’ll talk to you then!
If they say yes to wanting to find out what this opportunity is about and how much income they could earn then stop talking and get the appt!! That's one of they biggest mistakes sales people make... they get a buying signal and they keep on selling!! Don't fall into that trap.

Just tell her what the next steps are:

Come to our office... we are located here when is good for you morning or evening? I have this and this time available... let me get your email... here is my name and phone... etc.

To end the call maybe ask her qualifying questions... such as what she does already... how much into health she is... what she is doing for herself already.... how badly she needs more income.... etc. I would ask no more than 3 questions but they better be good ones. Thank her for her time and reconfirm your appt.

Good luck!!! - by Andrea
HI Lisa... what do you know about the people you cold call?

In your opinion who would be a qualified customer?

What sort of qualifying questions do you need to ask?

In my experience I do as much talking as the person I'm calling if not less. At a cold call stage I'm gauging whether they need what I have and I provide them an idea of what I do and a reason to talk to me AGAIN so that I can fully explain things to them. I do not go into my spiel during a cold call and as another poster here likes to call it.. I have a "commitment objective" for my cold call.

As the poster above me suggested... you need to break your script into different steps.

You are providing them too much info up front.
That's a lot of ? and I can't figure out how to multi quote like you did :dun so I'll just answer...

Anyone is a qualified customer, I am just looking to spark some interest.

I need to be asking if they have any interest in thier health or wellness overall, what they are spending on these types of products currently and if saving time and money are of interest along with earning the extra income.

Hmmm. that I would be providing too much information up front is something I had not really considered. I suppose there is a lot and I could trim some of that out and as you say, take the interest and set the appt!

Thanks!

Lisa - by lisamom
Hmmm. that is somthing I had not considered.
Consider this too... what type of skills/traits does your prospect need to have in order to succeed at your opportunity? Look at the people who are already succeeding and do a customer profile. And then go and scout more people like them.

You could call them up and say "I'm Lisa and I'm looking for people who are into promoting health and would like to spend some of their free time earning extra income... are you interested????"

Then you turn it around and make it sound like a job opportunity and who doesn't want to get a job these days???? People looking for extra revenue will try and convince YOU why they are a good match (ie. get them to sell themselves thmbp2;)

Something to watch out for is that you DO NOT want to waste your time with tire kickers... people who aren't really interested and will only waste your time. You avoid this by having a tight customer profile and great qualifying questions. Getting appts is not the end all be all of cold calling... it's getting appts from qualified prospects... - by Andrea
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.