Home > Approach > Sometimes we salespeople are customers too

Sometimes we salespeople are customers too

How do you handle the various sales approaches that you get when you are out and about.

I'm sure we all know that the worst approach in the world, when we enter a retail store is 'May I help you?' or 'How may I help you?'

How do YOU, as a salesperson, react to this kind of approach?

I hate it and cringe whenever I hear it....do you? - by helisell
How may I help you is the worst sales approach ever? How so?

Aloha.... shds; ;bg - by rattus58
Cos it's virtually guaranteed to prompt the response 'It's ok I'm just looking thanks'

Better to have an approach that puts YOU in control.
That way you can ACTUALLY help them. - by helisell
Ok... I'll bite... such as? - by rattus58
Well...my question was meant to prompt people to think about how THEY react to this kind of approach.

If someone is in a store and wants to actually buy something....as opposed to needing to be SOLD it, then it is OK to say 'How may I help you?'

But that's not selling is it and anyway...how could we know whether they were pro-actively buying (in which case the 'help you' approach is fine) or were going to need to be sold to.

I'm wondering if salepeople here have given this some thought and have a view? - by helisell
If someone comes to me and asks if I need help, I'll say yes, no, just looking, or whatever... but what else would YOU expect them to say... and there are a dozen variations of may I help you... such as "good morning, my name is Tom and I know you are here to look around so please enjoy our store. We have some juice and crackers over in bedroom sales this morning if you'd care to enjoy them. May I give you my card in case you need some help with something?

Aloha... :cool: - by rattus58
Oh....so you don't try to sell to them then? - by helisell
Your point being? And how about an example then if you don't have a point. - by rattus58
Gee.... got a bad point for this.... must have a bad attitude or something today... this is my second.... thmbp2;

What I'm getting tired of, is numerous suggestions of topics and then oneliners from the posters with no discussion of their point of view, as has happened here with this thread. If you aren't going to participate, don't give me a oneliner - by rattus58
How do you handle the various sales approaches that you get when you are out and about.

I'm sure we all know that the worst approach in the world, when we enter a retail store is 'May I help you?' or 'How may I help you?'

How do YOU, as a salesperson, react to this kind of approach?

I hate it and cringe whenever I hear it....do you?
Unless I'm coming in the store for something specific I give the same reply as everyone else... no thanks, just looking, etc. I think that is the norm with the exception being a salesperson who takes control of the conversation.

Your point being? And how about an example then if you don't have a point.
Show some respect for someone who is obviously a high caliber salesperson. We could use a few more members like helisell around here.

What I'm getting tired of, is numerous suggestions of topics and then oneliners from the posters with no discussion of their point of view, as has happened here with this thread. If you aren't going to participate, don't give me a oneliner
Helisell was asking for input. That is not uncommon in a FORUM. - by Seth
My point is......

Saying 'May I help you' or 'How may I help you' prompts the response 'No thanks we're just looking' (you said so yourself)

That puts THEM in immediate control and puts US, the sales person, into a difficult situation.

Saying.......'I know you are just here to look around etc'.......also
seems very assumptive and may in fact be completely incorrect.

So my point is, since using the words 'May I help you?' or 'How may I help you?' usually prompts a negative response, what would be a better approach? - by helisell
Unless I'm coming in the store for something specific I give the same reply as everyone else... no thanks, just looking, etc. I think that is the norm with the exception being a salesperson who takes control of the conversation.

Show some respect for someone who is obviously a high caliber salesperson. We could use a few more members like helisell around here.
Exactly where SETH, did I not show respect? If he had a point, what was it? If he didn't, how about an example? - by rattus58
My point is......

Saying 'May I help you' or 'How may I help you' prompts the response 'No thanks we're just looking' (you said so yourself)

That puts THEM in immediate control and puts US, the sales person, into a difficult situation.

Saying.......'I know you are just here to look around etc'.......also
seems very assumptive and may in fact be completely incorrect.

So my point is, since using the words 'May I help you?' or 'How may I help you?' usually prompts a negative response, what would be a better approach?
I'm not into walk in sales. So, since there still is no example from anyone here, I guess I'll have to wonder.... however, you seem to think that a salesman NEEDS to be in control. I've seen that stated by you continually as a theme.

How is it that if someone of there own volition walks into MY STORE doesn't put them into my space and influence. You are saying that coming up to them and asking them or offering them help is negative. I offered what my approach would have been... just what do you feel is the proper IN CONTROL approach to someone of whom you have no previous connection? - by rattus58
I'll try....

Good Afternoon, thank you for coming in my name is Lewis and I am happy to help you anyway I can. Is there a specific need you have today?

It could be better but in a 30 second try it is a start.

My wife and I are both in sales and we are always evaluating how the sales people do. We have fun with it.

Good Selling! - by Sell4alivn
It's the kind of approach that I think most of us would appreciate.

Aloha.... shds; ;bg - by rattus58
So my point is, since using the words 'May I help you?' or 'How may I help you?' usually prompts a negative response, what would be a better approach?
I think you want to engage the prospect as quickly as possible. You have to get their shields DOWN not UP and "May I help you?" generally does not lower shields and generally doesn't engage the prospect. - by Seth
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.