Home > Resistance > INDECISION: How do you spell relief?

INDECISION: How do you spell relief?

INDECISION is a deal killer! How many prospects who say "I want to think about it?" do just that, call back and buy? I would estimate very few.

How do you go about reducing potential indecision and-or resolving indecision when you encounter it? - by Seth
INDECISION is a deal killer! How many prospects who say "I want to think about it?" do just that, call back and buy? I would estimate very few.

How do you go about reducing potential indecision and-or resolving indecision when you encounter it?
Great topic, Seth.

Here are a few thoughts on indecision:

1. The best solution is to avoid it. Create a sales process that "forces" (used figuratively here, not literally, of course) to make small decisions throughout the process.

2. Realize that most indecision isn't really indecision, but a reluctance to deal with the issue. Therefore, if we can use our persuasion and other skills to get the prospect to face the reality of needing to make a decision one way or another, we can effect the outcome.

3. Build sales momentum throughout the process. Enough sales momentum obliterates indecision.

4. Early in the process, ask the prospect: "After my presentation, I'll be asking you to make a decision on owning my product today. If it's yes, we'll move forward, if it's no, we'll agree to part. Does that sound fair?" (of course, variation of exact verbiage is dependent upon the exact sales scenario).

5. Some indecision manifests itself as an objection. Be ready for them!

Skip - by Skip Anderson
Great input Skip. I think of indecision as cognitive dissonance and also think that it occurs in almost every situation where a person is choosing between two viable options. - by Seth
Providing you actually have a prospect's attention, there are no less than two decision processes that run concurrently in a selling situation.

One is whether an actual proposition is apparent or exists at all of any value and distinction.

The other is whether it is of value to the prospect as perceived by the prospect.

Without closure on the first, the second leads to naught.

I could challenge a lot of people who think they are in sales to actually reveal what their proposition IS. - by Ace Coldiron

I could challenge a lot of people who think they are in sales to actually reveal what their proposition IS.
I'm a little lost here chief.... yer being facetious with this right? What I mean is, whether revealed or not INITIALLY, isn't our job to/the promoting our goods or services... and don't that have to be revealed at some point?

Yer gotta remember the source of this request too.... :)

Aloha.... Tom :cool: - by rattus58
I'm a little lost here chief.... yer being facetious with this right? What I mean is, whether revealed or not INITIALLY, isn't our job to/the promoting our goods or services... and don't that have to be revealed at some point?

Yer gotta remember the source of this request too.... :)

Aloha.... Tom :cool:
No, Tom--dead serious.

Our job is to sell our goods and services. There has to be a proposition present, otherwise it's just shadow boxing. Before you respond--think about that.

I get approached at least twice a day by advertising people. A few of them have Substance to talk about, and I'll listen, and I may buy.

A majority are armed with techniques and rebuttals, and a selling process that covers everything but what's important--the proposition on the product or service. That I can sink my teeth into. I don't want to dance with a freakin' process. You got something to offer that's different--let me hear it. - by Ace Coldiron
I'm still not sure I'm following you completely, but I think what I hear you saying is you may not be having people get to the point.

We call and right off want you do listen to us discuss whether a voluntary worksite program would work for you, can we meet? What you are saying, I think, are that folks are not getting to the point, would that be accurate?

Aloha... Tom shds; ;bg - by rattus58
I'm still not sure I'm following you completely, but I think what I hear you saying is you may not be having people get to the point.

We call and right off want you do listen to us discuss whether a voluntary worksite program would work for you, can we meet? What you are saying, I think, are that folks are not getting to the point, would that be accurate?

Aloha... Tom shds; ;bg
Yes, it's very accurate but it goes further. What I mean is that the "point" has to be something that would spark my interest. The point has to be something that can be put on the table, evaluated, and a decision made on it. I don't buy advertising. I buy opportunities to create new customers. - by Ace Coldiron
So are you saying that you'd be interested in an advertising program that assures you the opportunity to to create new customers by virtue of you being directly accessed to specific industries and industry trade magazines subscribed to by artisans, hobbyists, and contractors along with a highly successful 4 times a year direct mailing where we average a 5% response?

:)

Aloha... :cool: - by rattus58
So are you saying that you'd be interested in an advertising program that assures you the opportunity to to create new customers by virtue of you being directly accessed to specific industries and industry trade magazines subscribed to by artisans, hobbyists, and contractors along with a highly successful 4 times a year direct mailing where we average a 5% response?

:)

Aloha... :cool:
Certainly some people would. Your example has substance--it has a evidence of a proposition attached, and it would make a lot of people want to know more. - by Ace Coldiron
Post deleted as inappropriate. - by Seth
Well let's see, since you gave me a red star or whatever those are called, where what ACE was discussing, not giving someone the opportunity to choose, is it not indecision? - by rattus58
Well let's see, since you gave me a red star or whatever those are called, where what ACE was discussing, not giving someone the opportunity to choose is not indecision?
I'll trade you my red star for that poi we discussed, Tom. - by Ace Coldiron
Hahahaha..... poi... good stuff... eat it, put salmon in it with onions and tomato, or sugar and milk, or you wall paper your room with it.... :)

Aloha... Tom shds; ;bg - by rattus58
I asked politely that you take your off-topic discussion to a different thread and my post was deleted as inappropriate. Would a moderator be so kind as to step in and moderate these off-topic posts or explain to me how to ask in a way that my request is not deleted again? - by Seth
I would appreciate where you would kindly point out where ACE's topic of not having a propostion in an initial offer, call, approach, or even in process like ours, isn't RELEVANT TO THIS TOPIC!

Indecision is just that, isn't it? Not having a topic to clearly define also leads to indecision DOESN'T IT?

And besides... - by rattus58
I asked politely that you take your off-topic discussion to a different thread and my post was deleted as inappropriate. Would a moderator be so kind as to step in and moderate these off-topic posts or explain to me how to ask in a way that my request is not deleted again?
Seth, your request is not being honored, and is inappropriate.

A discussion of the elements pertaining to decision making is certainly appropriate on a thread's topic of Indecision. A "proposition" on the table to examine and base a decision on is certainly a necessary element.

I'm in a difficult position, as I have been before, of being both contributor and moderator. I accept that, and will act accordingly.

You have to understand that there will be people here who agree with many of your posts, and others that will disagree with many of your posts. The same holds true for me. If you are having trouble with that, I'm hoping you can work your way through it.

The quips between Tom and myself were meant in good fun, and good fun is welcome here--just as your paraphrasing the antacid slogan in the title of this thread.

I suspect that in frustration you gave both Tom and myself the negative reputation points labeled "off topic". That's your perogative, but I don't think the intended use of that rating system should be as personal silly weaponry towards another contributing member. - by Ace Coldiron
This thread appears to have ran its course. I am going to close it down. - by Jeff Blackwell
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.