Home > Cold Calling > How to disturb the seniors

How to disturb the seniors

I am newer to the business, started in life insurance and did ok. Now I have found myself in the senior market and need some help setting appointments. I sell Med supp. LTC, Life and Health insurance, the company I work for does direct mail based on its agents demographics. I have been at this for 3 weeks and have only made 2 sales. Anyone out in the same lines that I am in if so I need a good script. There are 44 different companies,, 12 different plans and 3 pricing structures. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Hello, is this ___________, my name is _______________ with xyz insurance company and you had recently responded to mailer that we sent out concerning medi-care supplement insurance, have you made an educated decision on which plan and pricing method that you like (hopefully, NO) did you know that there are 44 companies approved in our state(NO), 12 different plans and 3 pricing methods, with some premiums increasing upwards of $30 per month(NO), with that in mind I would like to spend about 15-20 minutes with you, face to face to help you make that educated decision, how does Tuesday at 9:00am sound?"

This is what I have been trying any help - by deckerdt
I am newer to the business, started in life insurance and did ok. Now I have found myself in the senior market and need some help setting appointments. I sell Med supp. LTC, Life and Health insurance, the company I work for does direct mail based on its agents demographics. I have been at this for 3 weeks and have only made 2 sales. Anyone out in the same lines that I am in if so I need a good script. There are 44 different companies,, 12 different plans and 3 pricing structures. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Hello, is this ___________, my name is _______________ with xyz insurance company and you had recently responded to mailer that we sent out concerning medi-care supplement insurance, have you made an educated decision on which plan and pricing method that you like (hopefully, NO) did you know that there are 44 companies approved in our state(NO), 12 different plans and 3 pricing methods, with some premiums increasing upwards of $30 per month(NO), with that in mind I would like to spend about 15-20 minutes with you, face to face to help you make that educated decision, how does Tuesday at 9:00am sound?"

This is what I have been trying any help
"Hello, is this ___________, my name is _______________ with xyz insurance company. The reason for my call is that you recently responded to the mailer that we sent out concerning medi-care supplement insurance. The number of choices available can sometimes be daunting to wade through and so we are contacting you to see if we can schedule an appointment with you in order be of assistance in answering any questions you may have of the choices available.

The forgoing is my opinion, all of it designed by myself and my resident partners in attendance.

Much Aloha... shds; ;bg - by rattus58
"Hello, is this ___________, my name is _______________ with xyz insurance company. I'm calling because you recently responded to the letter that we sent out concerning medi-care supplement insurance, and I'm really sorry I didn't get back to you sooner.

We've come to realise that with all the choices people have at the moment it can be really confusing yeah?

So a lot of people like yourselves have contacted us to see if we can make things a bit clearer for them.

Are you still looking to get something in place at an economical outlay that's not going to break the bank?

I could get there to clarify things a bit for you on Wednesday afternoon or would Thursday better for you?
The number of choices available can sometimes be daunting to wade through and so we are contacting you to see if we can schedule an appointment with you in order be of assistance in answering any questions you may have of the choices available.

Very similar to rattus with just a couple of my own little takes on the subject.

Hope that helps. - by helisell
Switch you opening slightly. Hello, my name is_______________. Is this _________________________?

You will get a more receptive listener.
Just my two cents worth. - by Write4Me
Hey thank you I am going to tweak both and give them a shot - by deckerdt
A second thought. Try to imagine this conversation.

Hi my name's Jim from (xyz) . . . . I wonder if you could help me?

Am I speaking Mrs Mabel Smith?

I'm sorry I didn't relpy sooner.........Mrs Smith....did you request some informations about our (abc plan ) recently.....you may have sent in a clip coupon or something?

OK ....the reason for the call is......... - by helisell
Hey here's a tip, read a line or two off the card they sent in (The hook). Then ask questions like this "It seems your interested in the changes coming in Medicare, is thats right" Your premiums keep going up and up, and that bothers you some?"
Well yes I am worried about....
Do some small talk but do nOT talk product! Your selling the appontment
After that ask: "Miss Jones it really does make sense for us to talk more...are mornings better for you or afternoons?
Verify the appt, by asking for the address. Act as though you might have trouble finding it.... Get directions. This will help Miss Jones remember your coming. Better just set them a day in advance, Seniors are Seniors.

I'm in Insurance Bro, Your script...oh boy:cu . I've been there believe me. You must buy Questioned Based Selling, and spin selling (Books). If you learn the techniques you'll rise to the top. Some Tom Hopkins would help too.
Never ask for a "NO". Think about it, and you'll do fine.

Tony

- by Tony45

This is what I have been trying any help
This helped me out a great deal.

Along with making script adjustments, have you thought of canvasing: residential care homes, skilled nursing homes, assisted living facilities, continued care facilities, senior living communities etc.

You might be able to locate an AARP membership list.

Then there is joining local clubs: Rotary, Lyons, Moose, for referrals etc.

There are also tip exchanging groups such as "Le Tip." They meet once a week and give each other referrals.

I also joined Toastmaster which improved my overall selling skills and gave me more leads.

When working for XYZ Life Insurance Company, we bought lists of social security numbers (in the day) separated by age group. We would send our selected group a similar letter and offered to emboss their social security number on a free plastic card for convenience.

For me, this technique usually drew those who wanted something for nothing and I made very little money. When I ignored this approach and went on my own---I sold.

Another very receptive group today are also those in their 50's because they are very likely having to begin dealing with, or thinking of preparing to deal with, the costs of caring for a parent.

Also, this group is becoming aware of the burden they may have on their children as they age and do not want to burden the life of their children.

We currently own a Residential Care Facility and see the very real need for supplementary insurance and other plans.

Just a thought :)
- by John Voris
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.