Home > Approach > Recommendation for a strong opening?

Recommendation for a strong opening?

Hi, my names David C., I'm new to this forum. I just started a new sales job with Homes.com and I need a little help. The sale is to get real estate agents to have their properties listed into our website for a monthly cost. It's an awesome service however the problem is getting agents in front of a computer for just 10 minutes to show them what it's all about.

The hardest part about this is really just to get the agent interested in the very beginning for him/her to give me 10 minutes of their time. If I can get them in front of a computer for 10 minutes I'm confident enough to close 50% of my prospects.

I need advice on how to develop a strong opening to capture their attention and have them sit in front a computer with me for just 10 minutes. The rest is pretty much simple, objections, presenting, closing it all comes with ease after the opening. How can I capture a real estate agents interest in 10 seconds and have them spend 10 minutes with me?

Some of this information might help. We provide a free professionally designed website, we come up #1 on the front page of Google for nearly all US cities if someone types in the name of a city, state and the keywords "homes for sale". I am cold call selling to real estate agents all over the US. Thanks for all your input in advance. - by DavidC89
After your intro...

We just did a search on Google for 'Kansas homes for sale'.

There were 90,500 searches last month for that search and your website showed up on page 37. (obviously you check this first and be 100% truthful. 90,500 is the correct figure BTW. I just checked it.)

. . . . would you be interested in having a presence on the site that showed up No. 1?

Then go for it.....get them in front of pc or appoint.
Sounds too simple really doesn't it?

Hope that helps - by helisell
Maybe call to find out why, from their point of view, Realtors don't see the value in using homes.com. My guess is you will hear lots of stuff related to the MLS which they already pay for. Have a few insightful questions that help them discover why the MLS may not be getting the the results you want, and you might just end up making a sale. If nothing else, you will have a list of objections to help you develop even better questions. - by jdedwa11
@helisell
Yes, telling the agent that they are on the blank# page of Google is an excellent idea and I thought of that already however, it's almost impossible to find their listings out of millions if that makes sense. So unless there's a quick way to find exactly where there website/listings are this would be out of the question for me.

@jdedwa11
Actually, the first question I ask, is in fact "Why aren't you advertising any of your listings on Homes.com?". The problem is before I can even get to that question they tell me "I'm not interested" and hang up on me. And I've developed a pretty solid rebuttal in regards to the MLS, I say "See the problem with the MLS is, you're competing with every single listing their is out there when you can eliminate about 80% of your competiton through us...." than I go into a benefit and redirect them.

Let me show you what I'm currently using. After the intro and after I say something like "Can you hear me OK?"-
Excellent, the reason why I'm calling is because we're running a membership drive in your area. I noticed you have a few listings and I do a lot of work with (agent's name) and (agent's name) sending them a lot of business. Why aren't you advertising any of your listings on Homes.com? - by DavidC89
Hi David,

What sort of conversion are you seeing with your current script?

Also on the matter of finding out where other sites rank. It is a very simple matter to find out if you use the right tools. (pm me if you wish) but

If I search on 'kansas homes for sale'...then scan to page 7 and see a realtor and call them then I know where they rank already? - by helisell

@jdedwa11
Actually, the first question I ask, is in fact "Why aren't you advertising any of your listings on Homes.com?". The problem is before I can even get to that question they tell me "I'm not interested" and hang up on me.
In my view, the call opening has to 1. honor their time, and 2. build rapport. If you are getting the "not interested" response, there is a good chance you are missing this step.

Further, I would shy away from asking them why THEY don't advertise on homes.com; rather, I would focus on asking them why they think REALTORS in general don't advertise on homes.com. The distinction is a personal question which you haven't earned the right to ask vs a safe general question.

Ultimately, you want to understand HOW a Realtor markets their listings and if they are getting the exposure needed to make sales and get new listings quickly and easily. The person you are talking to will begin to open up once you gain their TRUST.

Remember, people buy for their reasons... not yours. Your success rate will skyrocket once you develop a process that makes signing up with homes.com their idea instead of yours. - by jdedwa11
David, I believe helisel's strategy is correct here, but I also think that you are severely limiting yourself by an assumption that you should use only ten seconds to "capture" the real estate agent's attention. That is not the way attention is properly drawn nor interest cultivated nor "rapport" created. I think that self-imposed limitation reflects in the cadence of helisel's example.

SLOW DOWN. Lose the impression that the person on the other end of the line is rushed. If you rush, it will create a rush and impatience on the prospect's part. It's contageous. - by Ace Coldiron
Hi Ace,

You don't know what the cadence of my script is because you have never heard me speak.

I have used scripts in this way for many years with top notch results. I am friendly, concerned, conversational, interested and interesting and that is how I make a script like this work extremely well.

I just took it as given that it should be delivered in that caring manner. A script like this is always a lot more than merely the words on the page.....but you know that already Ace so I forgive you. ;0) - by helisell
Please don't fetter on my misuse if the word, "cadence'". I read it in a cadence that was consistent with David's ten second prerequisite. The essence of my commentary was about that element, and I think you know that.

I believe my advice to David was on the mark. The fact is I praised your advice. - by Ace Coldiron
I know...I was being ironic......English sense of humour ;0) - by helisell
@helisell
I wouldn't be able to call on my own prospects as of right now. We are given a list of leads to call from, so you might understand what I mean by saying it would be impossible to find their listings searching through millions.

@jdedwa11
How can I honor their time and build rapport in the beginning?
"Remember, people buy for their reasons... not yours. Your success rate will skyrocket once you develop a process that makes signing up with homes.com their idea instead of yours."
Thanks that makes sense.

@Ace Coldiron
"SLOW DOWN. Lose the impression that the person on the other end of the line is rushed. If you rush, it will create a rush and impatience on the prospect's part. It's contageous."
Will do so.

If I may than ask you all, let's pretend you're the ones cold calling real estate agents off a lead list. How would you greet yourself and get an agent in front of a computer for 10 minutes in your own words? - by DavidC89
David,

Get your company to invest in SEO Elite (Google it).

It will allow you to put in a url and then find its position for various keywords.

So you look at the lead you're given. Check their website. Enter them and the keyword phrase into SEO elite and it'll tell you their position. Bingo.

As far as your question goes....

All you have to do is work out what's 'in it' for them.....what is the biggest benefit YOU can bring to THEIR party.

Then ask them if that is something they would be interested in.

So if you can tell me David what is the benefit you can give them . . . . I can help with your script.

In fact I offered in an earlier post......? - by helisell
The biggest benefit we can give to these agents is to have their listings one click away from the front page of Google under the key terms "homes for sale" and we can eliminate 80% of their competition because we don't list their properties with the entire MLS rather, we list their properties exclusively with our other agents in the area.

edit:
This will in turn increase their exposure and generate more leads for their listings. - by DavidC89
I've changed my opening with a new one I've been trying today with, as of right now unpredictable success, this is after the opening:
"Forgive me for calling out of the blue like this. The reason I'm calling is because we're running a membership drive in your area. I noticed you have a few listings and we might possibly be interested in doing business with you. I'd like to find out if you would be open to talking about a way to generate more leads for your listings and eliminating 80% of your competition. Is now a good time to chat for a few minutes?" - by DavidC89
Sounds pretty good. Stick with that one for a while and measure your results. - by helisell
Or....

Hi, my name is David with Homes.com. I am calling for [prospect name].

Hi [prospect name], forgive me for calling you out of the blue like this. The reason for my call is to find out if you are open to hearing about an idea that could help you sell more houses by making your listings easier to find when buyers search for homes on the internet.

It would take about 10 minutes to share the idea with you. Is now a good time to do that or is there a better time to talk to me? - by jdedwa11
I'm not a wordsmith, but I can't see many finding fault with your approach.

Much Aloha,

Tom :cool: - by rattus58
That opening surprisingly gave very poor results, maybe it's my tonality. However, I developed a new one which works very well. I set up three appointments within the first 30 minutes of using it, here's how it goes-

"This is David and I saw some of your listings. I was wondering if you know very much about Agent Advantage? (pause; at this they almost always say no than I say..)
Ok, well what I’m doing is setting up some free demonstrations for agents in your area it takes about 5 minutes in front of a computer, are you in front of a computer right now?

No- Oh ok no worries, I’m sure you’re busy and I do value your time. I really wanted to find out if you would be open to talking about a way to increase your exposure and generate more leads for your listings. When is a good time for you to sit and chat in front of a computer for a few minutes?

Yes- Excellent than it’s just a free demo which can help you generate more leads for your listings. I know how busy you can get and I do value your time. Is now a good time to chat for a few minutes? Let me begin by explaining to you how I work, and more importantly how I can help you. Before we get started I need to ask you a few fact finding questions in order for me to help you better is that ok?"

I'm picking up very useful statements from this forum and I thank you all. I'm wondering why this opening is working much better then the previous. Your thoughts? - by DavidC89
" This is David and I saw some of your listings. I was wondering if you know very much about Agent Advantage? (pause; at this they almost always say no than I say..)
Ok, well what Iím doing is setting up some free demonstrations for agents in your area it takes about 5 minutes in front of a computer, are you in front of a computer right now?

Right off the bat I think you hit them between the eyes... I saw some of YOUR listings.... Gee who am I interested in... David or Tommy.... :) It was all downhill from there.... sn;

Much aloha.... :cool: - by rattus58
I'm not a wordsmith, but I can't see many finding fault with your approach.

Much Aloha,

Tom :cool:
Gee folks.... I just got a POOR REPUTATION COMMENT for this as being poor advice. What advice is that is poor. Maybe the person who sends the red ink would have courage enough appropriately comment.. ya think? - by rattus58
That opening surprisingly gave very poor results, maybe it's my tonality.
The script is the problem not the tonality.
Hi [prospect name], forgive me for calling you out of the blue like this. The reason for my call is to find out if you are open to hearing about an idea that could help you sell more houses by making your listings easier to find when buyers search for homes on the internet.
I won't sit here and tear apart your script piece by piece but I will say that if you can't look at that script and immediately see the problems then you might consider hiring a sales coach to write your scripts. - by SalesProfessor
Gee folks.... I just got a POOR REPUTATION COMMENT for this as being poor advice. What advice is that is poor. Maybe the person who sends the red ink would have courage enough appropriately comment.. ya think?
I was given green and red. It must be Christmas in July! ;yho - by SalesProfessor
Hey, I'd love to be spending an extra Christmas this year ... thmbp2;

Much Aloha.... shds; ;bg - by rattus58
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.