Home > Personal Selling > Nonchalant vs. Excitement?

Nonchalant vs. Excitement?

Should you be nonchalant or excited when you prospect, present, and close sales? Also, if both methods work which would you prefer?

The top rep in our team advised me to be nonchalant in the sales process and I'm a very nonchalant type of guy so I can relate to this personality. However, I see excitement and enthusiasm do wonders as well. Just curious as to everyone's thoughts on this. - by DavidC89
Sell it like you were the person who invented it.

Your presentation will then be sometimes excited/exciting and in parts technical, enthusiastic, interesting . . . mostly it should be interesting.

If you are not excited by it....would you expect them to be?
If you are not that interested in it...should they be?

You'll hear a phrase 'mirroring'. This means your behaviour should match that of your prospect and this is very important but....they should be able to see your earnest interest and excitement about what you are selling too.

It's a 'funny old game' - by helisell
I'm like a chameleon... I match the personality of my prospect. If not I am just myself and confident. I also think it depends on the type of product you have and the industry you are in. I tend to be professional since I sell B2B... - by Andrea
Someone once said that sales is a transfer of emotion. I would go with Excitement over Nonchalant. - by Swamprat
Neither nonchalant nor excited.

Friendly, neutral, and inquisitive.

And that, coincidentally, is exactly the state you want your prospect to be in. - by Ace Coldiron
I prefer buyers who are excited about the benefits I am offering. Even better is when they are chomping at the bit to buy. ;yho - by Swamprat
I prefer buyers who are excited about the benefits I am offering. Even better is when they are chomping at the bit to buy. ;yho
They're called cherry leads. Their chain of distribution is a short one. - by Ace Coldiron
Show me a happy new client and I'll show you a buyer who is excited about the benefits they just bought into. :) - by Swamprat
What do you mean by "excited?" Many times my clients are expressing relief, not excitement, that they acted before something bad happened to them.

Aloha... :cool: - by rattus58
They're called cherry leads. Their chain of is a short one.
I've never heard the term "cherry leads" before.Where did that come from?

Aloha... :cool: - by rattus58
Don't take everything too literal. ;) - by Swamprat
Just checkin.... sn;

Much Aloha... Tom :cool: - by rattus58
Neither nonchalant nor excited.

Friendly, neutral, and inquisitive.

And that, coincidentally, is exactly the state you want your prospect to be in.
I like this approach, may I ask where you learned it? - by DavidC89
I like this approach, may I ask where you learned it?
Friendly, from my father originally and throughout my career observing many other producers and personalities.

Neutral from a composite of learning opportunities including suggestions by great sales minds such as David Sandler, Jim Camp, and Jacques Werth, my own experience in tens of thousands of sales interviews, and some experience doing radio commercials.

Inquisitive from my sales career itself and my own value of the power of questions, and my father's advice when I was young. - by Ace Coldiron
Friendly, from my father originally and throughout my career observing many other producers and personalities.

Neutral from a composite of learning opportunities including suggestions by great sales minds such as David Sandler, Jim Camp, and Jacques Werth, my own experience in tens of thousands of sales interviews, and some experience doing radio commercials.

Inquisitive from my sales career itself and my own value of the power of questions, and my father's advice when I was young.
No Argument here... however I'd modify it slightly for my own use...

I have a card in my briefcase to remind of what I am....

Smile, Be Sincere and Take the First Step...

Be Friendly == well that'd be a smile right...

Be Neutral == This is also being sincere, but we as salesman/women also have an OBLIGATION to work for/on behalf of our clients.

Inquisitive == This is also like taking the first step... find out about your client...

Cool I like it... :) - by rattus58
No Argument here... however I'd modify it slightly for my own use...

I have a card in my briefcase to remind of what I am....

Smile, Be Sincere and Take the First Step...

Be Friendly == well that'd be a smile right...

Be Neutral == This is also being sincere, but we as salesman/women also have an OBLIGATION to work for/on behalf of our clients.

Inquisitive == This is also like taking the first step... find out about your client...

Cool I like it... :)
Thank you. I hope it helps others. - by Ace Coldiron
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.