Home > Cold Calling > How would you answer this simple question?

How would you answer this simple question?

Hi All - I am new to this site. I am hopeful that I have found a great resource here. I have just started a new job setting appointments for our CSRs. My company specializes in document management.

My question is: I am calling to set an appointment only, so when someone asks, before any conversation, "What are you selling?" How would you handle that?

Thanks in advance,
Terry
- by TeresaAnn
About the only way I can see someone blurting out, "What are you selling?" is if the opening wasn't handled properly. What is your opening? - by Swamprat
"Good Morning/Afternoon" I'm not sure who it is that I should speak with, could you direct me? I'd like to speak to the person in charge of your document management"

Person then asked, "May I say who is calling?"

"Teresa, with (Co. Name)"

Person then asked, "What are you selling?" - by TeresaAnn
"Good Morning/Afternoon" I'm not sure who it is that I should speak with, could you direct me? I'd like to speak to the person in charge of your document management"

Person then asked, "May I say who is calling?"

"Teresa, with (Co. Name)"

Person then asked, "What are you selling?"
Hi Teresa... sn;

I might ask sometimes if "Can, could,would you please help me? I'm looking for whomever is responsible for your document management in order that I could get their opinion on a system we'd like them to evaluate. Could you tell me who that might be and direct me to him or her?"

Another approach would be to just call the company and find out who that person is ahead of time. "Good Morning/Afternoon, we're a document management company and we are trying to get information out to companies like yours in Hilo who deal in large volumes of documents. Could you tell me to whom we'd address this information to?

Once that I have that I can call and just ask for the right person.

This is an approach I might take at first blush, I don't know if this is what you're seeking, but I hope it helps.

Much Aloha,

Tom :cool: - by rattus58
It sounds like you're talking to the gatekeeper Theresa, otherwise known as the chief security officer or bouncer. His/Her job is to make entry difficult for almost everyone so you must now take control, (in a nice way) and in a very confident and smiling voice tone say something like ...

"May I ask who I'm speaking to" ... "Freda, well Hi, as I said I'm Theresa and that's a good question with no quick answer! ... and Freda, really that's why I'm calling to arrange an appointment ... ,

"My company handles a range of products designed to save organisations like yours many thousands of dollars and avoid lots of headaches with document handling procedures" ... "and ya know, ... I've yet to find a company that's opposed to saving money, so who's best to talk to about increasing your company's profits?" ... and could you put me through to her?

Thanx Freda, have a great day ... ;sm

By giving the gatekeeper a little bit of non specific info about your company you show respect for their position (which they just love) and don't bruise their ego ... and whilst your words must be wisely chosen, always remember that it's the delivery that's most important. - by Tony1905
Hi This is Charlie from abc documents I wonder if you can help me?

I understand that someone there has been looking for information about document handling and has been having one or two problems getting the information they wanted . . . and I've been asked to help. Do you know who that would be?

Could you put me through please?

When you get to 'the person' just repeat.

Hi This is Charlie from abc documents I wonder if you can help me?

I understand that someone there has been looking for information about document handling and has been having one or two problems getting the information they wanted . . . and I've been asked to help. Is it you I should be speaking to?

Ask em some questions about the problems they've been having....and take it from there. - by helisell
Hi All - I am new to this site. I am hopeful that I have found a great resource here. I have just started a new job setting appointments for our CSRs. My company specializes in document management.

My question is: I am calling to set an appointment only, so when someone asks, before any conversation, "What are you selling?" How would you handle that?

Thanks in advance,
Terry
Terry, do you believe that the question. "What are you selling?" is indicative of resistance, or is it a question that you are predisposed not to answer directly at this juncture? Or both?

The responses thus far seem to assume, perhaps correctly, that it is one or the other. But that aside--what's your take from the front line? Then let's see where we can go with this. - by Ace Coldiron
my take is that she doesn't know what you mean by document management and therefore she doesn't know who to pass you to... so she asks what are you selling so she has a better idea on who to pass you on to. What the heck is document management?

I am assuming that you have closed sales in the past or at least your company has. Is there a position in the company that takes care of this mostly? Is it an office manager? Is it the operations manager? is it the IT manager? who is it? if you know then ask for them directly. Is there an IT manager in your office whom I could speak with? I am looking to speak with someone who would know about your company's document management needs such as printing, scanning archiving security etc.

That is one approach... not sure if that is the best but that is one I would start with... - by Andrea
Thank you everyone so very much! Well, it has been a couple of days - I have been trying to let everything sink in and try to determine my next steps. I have read the answers to my posts and am thinking about what everyone has said. I am very sad right now because it seems I have made a mistake in leaving the job I was in, for this one. I was under the impression that the person that hired me would want me to succeed and assist me with some guidance, and tools of any kind, and that has not happened. I have reached out and literally been ignored!:dun I have a phone and a computer, and that's it! I actually think the people that work here, (The CEO that hired me, the receptionist, etc. forget that I am sitting at this desk in the shipping warehouse!)

So, I'm just wondering if I can still be successful setting appointments - because that's all I really want for now. Has anyone ever had a similar experience?

Thank you once again. Today I am going to use something from each post to try and move forward! - by TeresaAnn
Terry, do you believe that the question. "What are you selling?" is indicative of resistance, or is it a question that you are predisposed not to answer directly at this juncture? Or both?

The responses thus far seem to assume, perhaps correctly, that it is one or the other. But that aside--what's your take from the front line? Then let's see where we can go with this.
I think it is indicative of resistance. My job in the selling process is to set appointments for others to close. I'm not sure I understand what you mean by what is my take from the front line, but I am so happy to have assistance - Please let me know what you mean so that I can get more training! Thanks in advance! - by TeresaAnn
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.