Home > Presentation > Effective presentations?

Effective presentations?

I'm having a problem with my presentations. I can't seem to get my prospect into seeing the value or benefits that I can offer, even when I'm showing everything to them right in front of their eyes. I get flabbergasted when they don't realize how effective our service can be. I use something called beam-your-screen which in essence connects my computer to the prospects computer and I go through an online demonstration. Someone from this forum I won't mention his name out of respect said that my presentation was transparent and I figured out exactly what he means. I'm having a hard time coming up with a new presentation.

I sell marketing for real estate agents. Our directory comes up on the front page of Google in nearly every city in the US with the keywords "homes for sale, real estate" which is suppose to be the main selling point. I can't seem to get prospects to see how valuable this is to increase their exposure. Of course there are tons of other features besides this, I do my best to tie every feature into a benefit and so forth.

My questions are what is the most effective process for a presentation, how can I make my presentations non-transparent, what are questions I can ask throughout the conversation, if they can't see the value how do I show them in a better way, what do I need to accomplish first before giving a price?

Ask for anything regarding my current presentation script or how I can help you answer my question. Any help at all is very much appreciated after all you'll be helping me make more money. - by DavidC89
I'm having a problem with my presentations. I can't seem to get my prospect into seeing the value or benefits that I can offer, even when I'm showing everything to them right in front of their eyes. I get flabbergasted when they don't realize how effective our service can be. I use something called beam-your-screen which in essence connects my computer to the prospects computer and I go through an online demonstration. Someone from this forum I won't mention his name out of respect said that my presentation was transparent and I figured out exactly what he means. I'm having a hard time coming up with a new presentation.

I sell marketing for real estate agents. Our directory comes up on the front page of Google in nearly every city in the US with the keywords "homes for sale, real estate" which is suppose to be the main selling point. I can't seem to get prospects to see how valuable this is to increase their exposure. Of course there are tons of other features besides this, I do my best to tie every feature into a benefit and so forth.

My questions are what is the most effective process for a presentation, how can I make my presentations non-transparent, what are questions I can ask throughout the conversation, if they can't see the value how do I show them in a better way, what do I need to accomplish first before giving a price?

Ask for anything regarding my current presentation script or how I can help you answer my question. Any help at all is very much appreciated after all you'll be helping me make more money.
What you might do is find someone who is an expert in presentations and go through the mechanics of your presentations with them, just as if you were selling your service to them and have them critique you. I don't know that transparent is bad, when I do worksite, I use a whiteboard for EVERY presentation that I'm able. That is pretty transparent, so I don't know that having something outfront is bad.

When I was an agent for Connecticut General we used to tape ourselves giving presentations. I still do it for myself and always find something that I do that needs a tune up. Having someone critique your presentation might possibly help as well... especially since yer able to "beam" your desktop. Is that something like "go-to-meeting"?

Much Aloha... Tom :cool: - by rattus58

Ask for anything regarding my current presentation script or how I can help you answer my question. Any help at all is very much appreciated after all you'll be helping me make more money.
Hi David,
Sounds to me like you've got the presentation all worked out, professional, smooth, all the answers just right, but maybe a little too glib, too quick with your responses and perhaps even a little scary at times.

But I bet it sounds just great to you, or maybe you're past that stage and what sounded great last week now echoes in your head as false and shallow.

Either way, it's time to move up to the next level David!

Stop presenting and start communicating! Shift your focus from product to people, use your skills and knowledge like fine wine ... and you'll find everything will fall into place.

And it's much more fun too. thmbp2;
Cheers, Tony - by Tony1905
I can't seem to get prospects to see how valuable this is to increase their exposure.
Here are a few questions that you might want to get the answers to from your prospects. Who knows, the process of answering these questions might even make them a little more receptive to your presentation. ;)
  • To what extent is increased exposure important? (Ask them to be specific... maybe give you an example.)
  • Have your prospects been aggressively looking for ways to increase their exposure?
  • How long have they been looking?
  • What have they tried that didn't work?
  • How much has not having a solution cost so far?
  • Do those costs affect them directly?
  • How do they feel about that?
  • Have they given up on finding a solution?
  • Who else is affected by this problem?
  • If you could show them how to solve their problem, would they like to know more about the solutions you offer?
- by Vito
Someone from this forum I won't mention his name out of respect said that my presentation was transparent and I figured out exactly what he means. I'm having a hard time coming up with a new presentation.
Of course it was me and I know you would intend no disrespect for someone wanting to help.

David, you'll get opinions and suggestions here of varying value.

What I said earlier about transparency and what you were willing to accept was obvious and I commend you for accepting the point. I know you are trying very hard, and I respect that so very much.

So I'm going to offer a strong opinion and suggestion strictly based on much experience with those who have plights similar to yours, not the least of which are my own experiences.

Challenge your biggest assumption about what you're doing. When something just isn't working-isolate and challenge your biggest assumption.

I don't do cat and mouse, but it might help if you figured out for yourself what your biggest assumption is regarding this effort.

If you're stumped, PM me and I'll work with you on it. - by Ace Coldiron
David...us wot have been at it a long time (ace is a case in point) learn to challenge our own assumptions based on our own experiences.

I suspect that there is nil connection between what you are presenting and what is actually going on in your prospects mind.

Only experience will teach you what the signs are (though they become blindingly obvious eventually)

One of the best phrases I was taught is 'don't forget that it is their party not yours' which means exactly what it says.

I really liked Rattus idea.

Why don't you arrange to call one of the guys on here, pitch them just like a customer, they would soon put you on the right track I'm sure. - by helisell
@rattus58 & helisell
If anybody is willing to listen than by all means I'd be more than willing to go through my presentation for it to be critiqued. This would also be greatly appreciated.

@Tony1905
I'll practice this.

@Vito
Thank you for the question examples. Especially "Have you tried anything before that didn't work?". A lot of these agents have been burned in the past and it's hard to initially gain some trust.

@AceColdiron
Thinking about what my biggest assumption is. It is most likely so simple and right in front of me that I'm not thinking about it properly however, I'll do my best to figure out what it is and let you know when I find out. - by DavidC89
I'm certainly willing to listen. I don't know I'd be the best, but if I could help out in any way I'd be happy to. PM me and I'll give you my particulars.

Much Aloha,

Tom :cool: - by rattus58
Just finished a brand new book called OWN THE ROOM by Deborah Shames and David Booth. It has totally changed the way I present. I always had a good message, but this book is changing that way I deliver it. My first two tests (an elevator speech and a group presentation worked like a charm! Read a sample chapter at owntheroombook.com - by JebWalker
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.