Home > Interview > What to do when a prospect doesn't want to talk?

What to do when a prospect doesn't want to talk?

I come across this situation often and I'm not exactly sure how to deal with it. This is in regards to cold calling. After my opening with a prospect who's got some free time and is willing to speak right then and there. Here's what happens, when I start asking questions I sometimes get prospects who are unwilling to let me listen and instead answer even my open ended questions with one or two words. Then after about the 3rd or so question that yields a very short response they seem to get agitated I guess and they ask "what's this about", "what can you offer me", "I don't have time for this", even after they tell me their interested. At this I'm forced to go into a situation where I'm just telling them about our service instead of engaging them into a conversation. How can I deal with a situation like this? - by DavidC89
I come across this situation often and I'm not exactly sure how to deal with it. This is in regards to cold calling. After my opening with a prospect who's got some free time and is willing to speak right then and there. Here's what happens, when I start asking questions I sometimes get prospects who are unwilling to let me listen and instead answer even my open ended questions with one or two words. Then after about the 3rd or so question that yields a very short response they seem to get agitated I guess and they ask "what's this about", "what can you offer me", "I don't have time for this", even after they tell me their interested. At this I'm forced to go into a situation where I'm just telling them about our service instead of engaging them into a conversation. How can I deal with a situation like this?
Have you tried a 1911 in 45? ;bg

Aloha... :cool: - by rattus58
Mr. Prospect:

I would love to tell you what I can offer you but unless I can get a snapshot of your current situation then it would be unprofessional of me to guess which of my products would benefit you.

If you answer a few questions then I promise I won't try to sell you something if it doesn't meet your needs. - by Sell4alivn
Yes David,

You MUST pre-empt your questions with something like....

Ok Mr prospect....I'M not 100% sure that what we have to offer would be absolutely right for you at this Stage.........so.........would it be ok if I just fire a couple of questions at you and then we take it from there?
Then . . . if it looks like we CAN be of help to you then maybe I'll get a bit more information. It's a very quick process....is that ok with you? - by helisell
I come across this situation often and I'm not exactly sure how to deal with it. This is in regards to cold calling. After my opening with a prospect who's got some free time and is willing to speak right then and there. Here's what happens, when I start asking questions I sometimes get prospects who are unwilling to let me listen and instead answer even my open ended questions with one or two words. Then after about the 3rd or so question that yields a very short response they seem to get agitated I guess and they ask "what's this about", "what can you offer me", "I don't have time for this", even after they tell me their interested. At this I'm forced to go into a situation where I'm just telling them about our service instead of engaging them into a conversation. How can I deal with a situation like this?
David.... :)

If you have initial acceptance and then seeming disinterest, in my opinion, you've missed an initial ingredient of understanding of what you're doing there.

"David, so that we can both evaluate why I'm here effectively, I want to get a feel of who you are so that we can determine if you need and if so how much more life insurance protection for you and you company. Let me start with.....

Aloha... Tom - by rattus58
I would suggest using leading questions David. I'm not sure what industry you are in, however; I'm in the electricity game (amongst a few others) and here is a few that come off my head;

“Have you ever been concerned with your contribution to Greenhouse emissions? (lead towards Green Power)

“Do you find it hard to budget for your bill when it always changes each quarter?” (lead towards bill smoothing and other payment options)

“Wouldn’t you like to be rewarded for paying your electricity bill? (lead towards annual or monthly rebate)

The answers that I should get out would agree with my sales presentation. Again, I'm not sure of your game but no one in my industry is going to tell me they don't want a reward/discount for paying an electricity bill which then leads me into talking about the benefits of my product. Etc. - by MrCharisma
What I found useful in regards to cold calling is to first of all, tell them the reason why you are stopping by. "Hello, I am (Your Name Here), the reason why I stop by is to provide you with information in regards to services that you may or may not already have."
If you are, lets say...Selling a necessary service such as, office supplies. You would then say "My goal is to problem solve, if there is no problem great! But if there is a problem I would like to be able to provide you with all the necessary information you may require to help educated US both on developing a solution to any present issues?"
"Now with that said, who would make decisions in reagards to service I provide?"
Person would either say me, my boss, the owner, my spouse.
Then say "Oh, how impolite of me, I would like to apologize, I told you my name, but I didn't get yours." They will then proceed to tell you their name. People get defensive when you ask them their name before they know why you are standing in front of them. Gather information...nothing too extensive, yet. This is when you ask the prospect "Is the (owner, boss...or are you) available to decuss services I provide. Prospect says "NO" .......................Or is being closed minded. That's when you Smile and say "I understand that you may be busy, but I feel that the information I have, WILL only help. I truly believe in the sevice I provide and I will extend the courtesy of making a separate trip. Is there a TIME YOU PREFER, that will be convenient for YOU, provided that you have conducted all your high priority business for the day?" Don't let the prospect answer this question. Follow the question up right away with..."Which do you prefer the morning, afternoon or evening? By this time, you would have spent about 3 min with the prospect. Usually a prospect will drop there guard a little if they feel that you aren't pressuring them. So they usually will answer this question. After you ask them this question (SHUT UP) let the prospect answer the question NO MATTER THE CIRCUMSTANCE. If they say "the evening," you will then ask them what time. "Which do you prefer 6p or 7p? Continue to gather information, set the appointment then sell them your service. Do not accept no for an answer. - by dankhn
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.