Home > Cold Calling > How to sell DVD Packaging? Need Help.

How to sell DVD Packaging? Need Help.

I work for a media packaging company (DVD cases, binders, custom packaging) and am in need of a way to gain leads through cold calling. This is my pitch so far, "Hi my name is______ with sunrise packaging. I was checking out your website and noticed your company is involved in duplication and replication. The reason I'm calling is because we are a media packaging manufacturer that works with duplication houses, production companies in supplying you with media packaging products. You know, things like dvd cases, jewel cases, and custom packaging. I know you probably have a vendor already, but I was wondering what it would take for a new company to get their product in the door? Are you more price motivated or quality, because I know we can offer you both. - by sunpacksales
It's not bad to......."The reason I'm calling...."

I think you would be better to get them agreeing to something at this point...maybe.....

"I had a quick look at your website, which is great by the way, and I was wondering....would you be open to discussing a couple of ideas on your packaging that could increase your perceived value to your customers and at the same time maybe even increase your bottom line profits by trimmimg your costs a bit?"

Worth a try? - by helisell
That would be a good idea if the company was more focused on custom packaging. The companies I deal with purchase stock packaging that most everybody knows is made in china. The only thing they care about is a lower price and the quality. My goal is to get them to tell me what they purchase for, and give them a better deal. - by sunpacksales
So would they be open to some new ideas that might cut their bottom line costs?

How do you know for certain that they are only interested in in a lower price?

I bet that's what they tell you.

But I also bet if you were a close friend of one of these buyers they might tell you that there were other criteria?

You must find out what those criteria are.

So you might ask them...."price apart what are the main things you consider when purchasing you packaging?"

They answer.

You say..."So assuming we were at least as competitive as you are paying now....would you be open to discussing some new ideas about (whatever their criteria are)? - by helisell
I work for a media packaging company (DVD cases, binders, custom packaging) and am in need of a way to gain leads through cold calling. This is my pitch so far, "Hi my name is______ with sunrise packaging. I was checking out your website and noticed your company is involved in duplication and replication. The reason I'm calling is because we are a media packaging manufacturer that works with duplication houses, production companies in supplying you with media packaging products. You know, things like dvd cases, jewel cases, and custom packaging. I know you probably have a vendor already, but I was wondering what it would take for a new company to get their product in the door? Are you more price motivated or quality, because I know we can offer you both.
In my opinion, your introduction is far too long.

You've hit them with a lot of information too soon and they probably weren't even expecting your phone call. If you say this scripting it takes you maybe 20 seconds? That's 20 seconds you've given your potential buyer to think up an objection or a reason not to speak with you today.

"Hi my name is______ with sunrise packaging. I was checking out your website and noticed your company is involved in duplication and replication."

PAUSE and wait for objection/question/statement

Then provide a General Interest Statement. If you call me and said "The reason I'm calling is because we are a media packaging manufacturer that works with duplication houses, production companies in supplying you with media packaging products." I would think good for you now go away.

You need to get the customer involved and interested. I'm not entirely sure of your range of products or services but my suggestion could go along the lines of

"The reason I'm calling is because we at Sunrise Packaging have realised business like yourself are often not being supplied all the services or saving available. Would improving your quality or saving on quantity be something your company would be interested in?"

I'm attempting to have a conversation rather then a presentation. Once you have them interest you will have all the time in the world to explain who you are and what services you provide, however; your goal in the first 30 seconds is to not have them hang up on you and get involved in the conversation. - by MrCharisma
So would they be open to some new ideas that might cut their bottom line costs?

How do you know for certain that they are only interested in in a lower price?

I bet that's what they tell you.

But I also bet if you were a close friend of one of these buyers they might tell you that there were other criteria?

You must find out what those criteria are.

So you might ask them...."price apart what are the main things you consider when purchasing you packaging?"

They answer.

You say..."So assuming we were at least as competitive as you are paying now....would you be open to discussing some new ideas about (whatever their criteria are)?
Sunpacksales, I encourage you to read and re-read helisell's advice.

There ARE other criteria, and the words he is giving you for probing, i.e. "Price apart...etc" are words that successful salespeople use. But more importantly, he is giving some wise insight on the nature of ENGAGING a prospect. - by Ace Coldiron
Those are all great ideas, but realistically all of our cases are almost identical. So as long as the cases are fairly strong and hold up to machine tests, they don't mind what they get. However, the price is what makes or breaks the deal. There are soo many media packaging manufacturers that it's hard to compete when everyone tries to undercut each other by a few cents. That's pretty much what this business is, trying to find a way to offer the customer a product for a few cents less and getting them excited about it. However, I want to find a way to build in a value added approach to our company, so it's not just the product they buy, but the image of quality and competitive pricing. I'm fairly new to the industry, so not too sure where or how to start, my management wants me to figure it out on my own and then pass the idea along to them. - by sunpacksales
So....price apart....what are their main buying criteria? - by helisell
Sunpacksales...

Your company sells a lot more than DVD packaging. Are you just focusing on that particular niche? or do you have to sell to all types of clients with different packaging needs? - by Andrea
Well yea, we do sell other type of products that we customize. However, the duplication markets that I sell to usually only purchase stock products like DVD cases. If they ever need anything custom, then they usually start looking for a custom packaging company. I have found it ineffective to tell them about custom packaging right away, so I have been sticking with just stock packaging as my focus. - by sunpacksales
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.