Home > Cold Calling > Cold Calling 101

Cold Calling 101

I love to Cold Call. It energizes me!

Cold Calling 101!

I love to Cold Call. It energizes me whether I get a yes or a no. I am not talking about Cold Calling on the phone. I am talking about grabbing a hand full of business cards and doing it the old fashioned way, face to face. For me visual works best. I need to see the hustle and bustle, or not, going on at the business I am calling on. I need to see the reaction and body language of my prospect. There are thousands of Cold Calling ideas out there. Some are good ones and some not so good but after twenty-five years of Sales and Cold Calling face to face Cold Calling has worked best for me. The prospect can see I am a living breathing person; not just a sales voice on the phone. It is also harder for the prospect to say no to an appointment when he is looking me in the eye. Another advantage in face to face Cold Calling happens if the prospect is not there. It gives me a wonderful opportunity to begin a relationship not only with the gatekeeper but other employees. I cannot stress enough how important it is to get to know the employees of the business you are calling on. They can be your most important advocates. Gain their trust and you are that much closer to closing the deal. These advocates can tell you What, When, Where and How about your prospect. They many times offer up important information you will need to know about the person that holds the purse strings. Never underestimate the influence of theses people, the gatekeeper and other employees.

Donít get me wrong, I am not suggesting that you never make a Cold Call over the phone. You should use the phone and use it often. As a matter of fact you should use every tool in your sales tool box, the phone, internet, referrals, networking, face to face, even a megaphone on the street corner as long as you are not arrested. For many sales people the telephone works best. We just need to find and develop the sales tools best suited for our personal skills and use them often and with ATTITUDE!. - by MPrince
Hi there Mary/Martha ..... :)

I don't have much experience going door to door handing out cards and being conversational, and it doesn't energize me as it does you, but that being said, I've only had positive experiences going door to door.

This might be an interesting sidebar for my prospecting endeavors in the near future.... :)

You've illustrated great points of the potential benefits from this approach.

thmbp2; Much Aloha,

Tom :cool: - by rattus58
You might be surprised at how effective it is. It at least gives you a new perspective;

Thank you for your perspective Tim/tom! - by MPrince
You might be surprised at how effective it is. It at least gives you a new perspective;

Thank you for your perspective Tim/tom!
I'm polishing my shoes as we speak.... :)

Much Aloha... T/T shds; ;bg - by rattus58
This is my first post so Hi everyone.

I'd like to know what is it that takes place when you make your cold call FTF? Can you give us some examples? or anyone for that matter? - by TRICKORMATE
This is my first post so Hi everyone.

I'd like to know what is it that takes place when you make your cold call FTF? Can you give us some examples? or anyone for that matter?
There are a thousand things that can take place when I make a Face to Face Cold Call and I most often play it by ear to an extent. The only thing I have in my hand is a business card and my objective is an appointment. I am not there to try and sell them anything but that. I talk about the business with the sales people, with the gatekeeper and other employees if possible trying to find out as much as I can about the decision maker. I may ask who their vendors are, how sales are, do they need more business, what are their suggestions...in other words...I want to hear what they have to say. I find who the decision maker is and see if I can make an appointment with him for another day and time. When I talk to the decision maker I will say something this;

Mr Decision I have had some success working with businesses like yours, my ideas may or may not work for you but it will only take a few minutes to find out. Do you think you may have a few minutes next Thursday? Great...I'll see you then.

There are times I have already done research before I make the F2F Cold Call. I walk in with the business card ask for the decision maker and use basically the same script to make the appointment.

Or he may tell me no! Either way it was FUN! - by MPrince
I'm going to have to try this out. What I have done in the past is leave a packet. I sell computer training; ex: MS 03 and MS 07 (Microsoft), Highend IT training etc. we have created a packet that we normally hit the buildings and drop them off asking at the same time where they do their training.

I will approach it your way.

Best Regards, - by TRICKORMATE
I'm going to have to try this out. What I have done in the past is leave a packet. I sell computer training; ex: MS 03 and MS 07 (Microsoft), Highend IT training etc. we have created a packet that we normally hit the buildings and drop them off asking at the same time where they do their training.

I will approach it your way.

Best Regards,

After you work with it for a while you will find more ways that work for you. The most important thing is, be yourself and always have the prospects best interest at heart. You are there for one reason and one reason only and that is to help that prospect! The sales and money will follow!

Warmest Regards - by MPrince
What a great thread....

I think that sales people very much get set in their ways with the techniques that they use in their first sales job. For instance, I am still in my first sales role, though I have been nere for a while, the only tool I use in the first instance is the telephone. That is purely because of how I have been trained.....phone the prospective first, then if I see an opportunity to get a visit grab it because as you have originally said, it's easier if you can see your clients facial expressions and body language.

I would love to be out and about selling - I love meeting new people and the whole "phone thing" day in day out, just isnt doing it for me anymore!! xerm; - by nard1
I know many sales people are reluctant to make face to face cold calls because they feel they may be intruding on that business person. Keep in mind you are not intruding. You are there to help a "future client". Often sales people are afraid of being rejected face to face but you will find you are much less likely to be rejected in person than on the phone. It is much harder to reject a friendly smiling face than it is some strangers voice on the phone. Besides that it will make you feel much better to get out of the office and get a chance to meet and greet and make new friends. I cannot imagine a better way to make a living!

In maybe one out of a thousand businesses you call on you will find someone that is rude to you. That is okay. You are tough! You can take it! Smile, apologize and excuse yourself and go on to the next smiling face!

Warmest Regards - by MPrince
It sounds like an interesting prospect but something that I have also never done! It has always been over the phone unless off course I have been out and about networking at parties and stuff, picking up business that way which also works well for me I must admit! - by Neelam
It sounds like an interesting prospect but something that I have also never done! It has always been over the phone unless off course I have been out and about networking at parties and stuff, picking up business that way which also works well for me I must admit!
I've tried to sell my product at parties but it usually ends up with me drinking more and more as we speak then I completely forget the next day!! How professional! bgwnk; - by nard1
I've tried to sell my product at parties but it usually ends up with me drinking more and more as we speak then I completely forget the next day!! How professional! bgwnk;
Just grab business cards! Im always drunk as well but people seem to remember me! LOL;sm - by Neelam
Just grab business cards! Im always drunk as well but people seem to remember me! LOL;sm
Just a word of advice to all you salesmen/ladies out there... and this is coming from a drinker who quit... so remember the adage about bein so righteous as reformed somethin or other... if you go to parties, the last thing you should be doing if you would EVER suffer the possibility of approaching one of the participants, is drinking.

Casual remarks can sink ships, and deals, and associations. Little flirtations can lead to disaster.

I'd be attending parties alright, as many as you could... taking cards, names and ideas... but I'd not be drinking any alcohol.

Much Aloha.... :cool: - by rattus58
That's not a problem for me since I don't drink or smoke. I think people in the business should be careful that they don't smell like cigarettes.

I have come across sale's people that stink and it's a total shut off.

Best Regards, - by TRICKORMATE
Just a word of advice to all you salesmen/ladies out there... and this is coming from a drinker who quit... so remember the adage about bein so righteous as reformed somethin or other... if you go to parties, the last thing you should be doing if you would EVER suffer the possibility of approaching one of the participants, is drinking.

Casual remarks can sink ships, and deals, and associations. Little flirtations can lead to disaster.

I'd be attending parties alright, as many as you could... taking cards, names and ideas... but I'd not be drinking any alcohol.

Much Aloha.... :cool:
Several years ago I was the CEO of a chain of retail outlets. I wore more than one hat in that organization because I was also functioning as the director of sales, and buyer for that company. I was young and impressionable, and even though my position had gone to my head, I always looked up to the management types that were the bosses of those that sold to my company. One such man I particularly admired--an always well-dressed and solid type that was the VP of sales in a very respected manufacturing company.

I found myself at national trade show being entertained one evening hitting the bright lights of Chicago, by his group. He became drunk, and showed a side of himself that changed my view of him forever---AND seriously dampened the relationship we had with his company. - by Ace Coldiron
Cold calling is one of those things in sales that has a multiplier effect. As you walk in to a business you typically meet company personnel. The assumption never to make is that the person you fist speak with or are greeted by is NOT the decision maker. Many times, once you make a 10 second opening statement, you will be referred to the person to ask for right off the bat (gotta love when that happens).

One way of starting a relationship with a new company that has worked for me is NOT to say what I do at all. Let me explain. I will walk into a building and ask, "I wonder if you could help me out"? People always like to help so put them in that position right away. Once they agree, I will say, "My name is Paul and I'm with XYZ Company. We're in the business of working with companies like yours the help control and lower the costs of using ???? (in my case, forklifts). Who here would be most interested in that type of information?". Once I get the name (more often than naught, it is a senior manager in a decsion making position), I will ask if they are available. If not I will follow up by phone, make the same opening statement and book the appointment once I confirm they are the right person.

This part of the selling job is almost as good as winning the order because it is new business building that adds to the base already in place, more market share potential (beat the competition!) and increased commission. What more could a saleperson ask for??

Paul thmbp2; - by Heckler51
I have a client who was a facility management consultant but was scared of making cold calls. The idea of calling someone put him into a cold sweat. We helped him use face to face cold call instead. He would drive around and look for building that had issues that would not be noticeable to the average person but to his trained eye could cause problems for the building owner. He would then walk in and say he was passing by and noticed an issue with the building and wonder if he could speak to manager or owner so he could show them the problem.

He has managed to translate this approach into a great business generator. The great thing is people never see it as a sales call, they just think wow what a helpful guy.

Colin - by colinmparker
I have never been drunk to the extent of behaviour changes or making a pratt of myself - just having a drink and a laugh thats all! I have made some good contacts that way in life, just meeting people by chance whilst out and about! I met one contact in a pizza shop at 3am on my way home from a club once! The following Monday I had an email and business commenced..... - by Neelam
I would agree with some of the remarks about drinking in excess. I have heard it said that you should always make sure that alcohol is your servant, not your master. In other words, make sure you get more out of it than it gets out of you... - by Harold
Hey Guys

How did a Cold Calling Post turn into an AA Meeting? This has absolutely nothing to do with what this post is about and it is really stupid! If you have nothing to contribute to sales I would suggest you be quite. - by MPrince
Relax. "Really stupid" - I will not respond to that grade school response except to say that sadly I have known many excellent sales people who have hindered and even destroyed their careers because of some vices, drinking being the primary one. The way you behave affects your sales. This is a valuable thing to discuss as many people struggle with this, even if you do not...

Although, if further inquiry and discussion is desired it may be more appropriate to do so in another thread devoted to the topic. - by Harold
How did me saying that I give out business cards at parties turn into this?

Im sorry if I have given the wrong impression here guys! I do not have a drink problem and went out more in my younger days than now! But I do grab an opportunity when I come across it no matter where I am!

I barely drink - meaning I can go weeks without drinking so don't please think I am some kind of budding alcoholic :) - by Neelam
I found myself at national trade show being entertained one evening hitting the bright lights of Chicago, by his group. He became drunk, and showed a side of himself that changed my view of him forever---AND seriously dampened the relationship we had with his company.
Absolutely, and I've seen and heard of these examples countless times times.

Whatever we can do to gain association and the right or opportunity to present ourselves is the meaning of cold calling, and don't spoil it for later for too much fun right now.

Amen.... shds; ;bg - by rattus58
How did me saying that I give out business cards at parties turn into this?

Im sorry if I have given the wrong impression here guys! I do not have a drink problem and went out more in my younger days than now! But I do grab an opportunity when I come across it no matter where I am!

I barely drink - meaning I can go weeks without drinking so don't please think I am some kind of budding alcoholic :)
This is exactly like sales is.... you never know what/where the conversation will turn. None of us has drinking problems, and that is the problem.... ;bg for some.

Cold calling and parties.... and young salespeople getting in the business... our demeanor... is all related..

We need to do it right, and our demeanor, our dress, our approach..

Much Aloha... Tom :cool: - by rattus58
This is exactly like sales is.... you never know what/where the conversation will turn. None of us has drinking problems, and that is the problem.... ;bg for some.

Cold calling and parties.... and young salespeople getting in the business... our demeanor... is all related..

We need to do it right, and our demeanor, our dress, our approach..

Much Aloha... Tom :cool:
Hi Tom,

I couldn't agree more with this - Thanks thmbp2; - by Neelam
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.